Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Long term storage of NiCd’s

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Long term storage of NiCd’s

Old 04-06-2009, 12:18 PM
X-cell Fury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term storage of NiCd’s

Is there a way of preparing NiCd receiver packs for long term storage like we would Li-Po’s?

I checked my charger but it doesn’t have a storage option for NiCd’s.

The reason I ask is that over winter some of my existing packs have died and I can’t revive them so want to ensure the same doesn’t happen again.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Long term storage of NiCd’s

It does not matter what state of charge you store Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh. If they cannot be charged at a slow rate (C/10) when you go to put them back into service it is because a short has developed due to separator deterioration, nothing to do with the state of charge when you put them in storage. How old were these packs? You didn't inadvertanly leave them with the switch on in the plane did you? This will kill them over time. Did you happen to measure the individual cell voltages before you tried to charge them? Were any at zero volts?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the NASA studies showed that the best way to do long term storage on NiCad was to discharge each individual cell to zero volts using a slow discharge. Then a shorting bar was attached across each cell and then they were stored at a low temperature. I do not recall what the recommended temperature was but I think it was slightly below 30 degrees F. When ready to use them, let them warm up to room temperature and then give them a long slow charge.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

One of the NASA studies showed that the best way to do long term storage on NiCad was to discharge each individual cell to zero volts using a slow discharge. Then a shorting bar was attached across each cell and then they were stored at a low temperature. I do not recall what the recommended temperature was but I think it was slightly below 30 degrees F. When ready to use them, let them warm up to room temperature and then give them a long slow charge.
Rodney, those batteries were an entirely different design than the ones we use in our hobby, mostly flat plate and semi flooded systems with gas barriers between the plates. Storing sealed wound Ni-Cds or Ni-Mh that we use in the hoob in the shorted state will cause them to leak over time.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:29 AM
X-cell Fury

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Thank you for your reply but I was hoping for something a little less complicated!!!