Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

A123 "storage" charge?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Bass1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A123 "storage" charge?

I just recently reoutfitted 3 of my 40cc and 50cc size aerobats with 2s/2300ma battery packs. I also bought a new charger (Turnigy 6) that has a "Life Storage" mode which charges or discharges and balances the packs to the nominal 3.3 volts per cell for "storage". Is this better than just charging to full capacity (3.6 volts per cell) when I'm not planing on flying for a week or two or should I just top off using my normal charge/balance routine @ 2 amps (7.2 volts for the 2 cell packs) for short term storage. What benefit if any would I get by using this "storage" charge mode as opposed to just storing them fully charged and flight ready?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 PM
everydayflyer

Default RE: A123 "storage" charge?

Thgis question has came uop a few times. The cells are shipped at 3.2 per cell which would indicate this is best fro storage however I have cells that are over 3 years old that have always been fully charged and they seem fine. I am sure most cordless power tools are left charged for instant use. Cells ./ packs that I know i will not be flying for extended periods such as several weeks to months I store at 40 to 60% stste of charge. Cells which have never been put in service are at 3.2 and 45F in sealed zip lock freezer bags along with my infrequently flow LiPolys which are 3.8 [per cell.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Bass1

Thanks everyday, I think I'll save the "storage" charge mode for the planes I don't fly as much and for the less than favorable seasons when I don't fly as often. After all it only takes about an hour to fully charge and balance (@2 amps) from storage mode.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:35 PM
merlin51

Can a Ultra Duo Plus 30 Cell Automatic Peak Charger be used to charge A123? Thanks Dave