Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What is discharge current?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:38 PM
arsenal_addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is discharge current?

I am new to lipo and was just wondering what the discharge rate was for the purpose of charging
Old 05-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is discharge current?

Discharge current is when the chemical energy in the battery is used to provide current to a load such as a motor or electronics. It has nothing to do with charging. Now, perhaps you mean, what does the C rating have to do with charging. If so, then, on most LiPo's, you limit the maximum charge rate to 1C. C is defined in terms of the total energy that can be stored in the battery; for instance, a 2100mah battery would have a C of 2.1 amps, a 600mah battery would have a C of 0.6 amps. LiPo's are also rated as to how fast they can be discharged without excessive damage to the battery. If a battery has a 20C rating, you can discharge it at a rate 20 times the C of the battery. If I have not understood your question please restate it in different terms.