Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Onyx 230 broken tabs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onyx 230 broken tabs

Hi all,

Been away from the forums for a while.... Don't fly anymore but got the RC bug and wanted something to do with my too-young-to-fly son, so I bought a Traxxas Summit. I bought the Duratrax Onyx 230 charger along with it.

I charged a couple of the Rocket 5100 packs and everything worked fine.

The next time I went to charge a pack, I heard a loud whine- as if the fan had a bad bearing. Pushing on the case right above the fan would affect the sound.

After a few seconds, and I was about to unplug it, the noise stopped and the pack charged with no issues.

I figured I'd send the charger in to be checked out and as I was picking it up, I noticed it was rattling as if there were loose parts floating around. Sure enough, I could see a small black plastic piece through one of the vents.

I opened the case up and found two small black tabs had broken off and were floating around. One of them probably got stuck in the fan which caused the noise. The tabs appear to have been used for routing a wire by the power supply.

I contacted Hobbico- who offered to replace the unit. I doubt there will be any further issues and with a 5 year warranty, I've got lots of time to change my mind.

Figured I'd post here in case someone else runs into a similar problem.

Expert graphics added to attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74403.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	1291402