Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Just another stupid question about wallwart.

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Just another stupid question about wallwart.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 PM
wrheadnut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another stupid question about wallwart.

Can somebody give me an idea of what batteries can be charged with this charger?

I have the following packs:

7.2v NiCd 2000 mAh
7.2v NiMh 1500 mAh
7.2v NiMh 3000 mAh
4.8v NiMh 2500 mAh
12v 7amp sealed lead battery

any help will be very apreciated, thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97026.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1295212  
Old 10-15-2009, 04:37 AM
Regent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just another stupid question about wallwart.

Wrheadnit,
Technically you could use this charger to charge any of the batteries listed but my guess is that this charger is nothing more than a 10:1 transformer with a couple of diode rectifiers. It would not be the best application for any of them.

Being as there is no current control, voltage sensing or checking for Delta V you could overcharge NiCd and destroy the battery over time. I did this to an electric screwdriver when I accidentally left it on charge for a few weeks. Big downer because it was not the kind of screwdriver that would allow me to easily replace the batteries.

NiMh batteries share some of the same characteristics of NiCd but prefer to be charged with constant current. This chargers output is pulsating DC.

You could use it to trickle charge your lead battery but it probably would never reach a full charge of >13.8 V and it would take forever to accomplish much of anything.

My advice would be to spring for a good battery charger that is designed for NiCd/NiMh and be comfortable in the knowledge that you will be using the right tool for the right job.