Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

lipo balancing question

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Mdkanz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lipo balancing question

I just bought a used 4900mah 25c team checkpoint lipo and i read the manual online and it said that you have to charge it with a balancer is this true? also i should charge it at 4.9 amps right?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:35 PM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: lipo balancing question

yes and yes.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Mdkanz

The first yes meaning that i do have to use a balancer? i have the onyx 230 and the team orion 2400 20c and i never balance them, are the checkpoint different?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:57 AM
mxracer154

You should be balancing all of your lipo's. One cell could be a whole volt off and it reads the voltage as a pack. So say one cell is 4.2v (charged) and the other is 4.1v, it will keep charging the pack till all cells are 4.2v so one could over charge, and with discharging one cell could be a lower voltage therfore letting one go under 3.0v and the other's dont so then you have a bad cell and when you go to charge not good..[&:]
Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Mdkanz

I know lots of people that have never balanced 2s lipos.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Mdkanz

I know lots of people that have never balanced 2s lipos.
Many people don't do it... doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. It's really up to each person but think of balancing as preventative maintenance. No two cells are exactly alike and will have slightly different charge and discharge rates. You may not see any problems until you're on your 50th charge but that doesn't mean it's not building up.

A balancer costs $20-$30 and doesn't add that much time to charging... the question shouldn't be: why do it? but why wouldn't you do it?