Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

moving up in size

Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 PM
fatfreddy17
My Feedback: (43)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default moving up in size

I was fortunate enough to purchase an 85 cc plane this fall, the largest plane in my hangar. With the larger planes comes different batteries than I am used to.

2 years agoI switched from Nicads to NiMh batteries. The previuos owner of my new plane strongly recommended staying with Li ion as he had been using.

My question is how to properly charge and care for Li ion batteries,, what should I know?

I have a Dynamite Vision Ultra Peak charger, the directions say it is capable of charging Nicad, NiMh, and Li po. Can I used this charger on my Li ion batteries?

I was given advice to stay away from Li po batteries in a big gasser as the Li po's tend to be more easily damaged by vibration?

thanks in advance!
freddy

Old 11-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: moving up in size

I dont use lipo's in my planes but I'm not in that league. The guys I know flying the big, BIG birds use lipo's and A123. Mostly A123. A123 is probably the route I would take when it comes time.
Edwin
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: moving up in size

I"ve used Nicd Nimh Li-ion and finally A123, no doubt A123 is the way to go. FMA Direct sells CellPro 4S for $50, great charger for A123 and RadicalRC sells the batteries at a very good price.

On an 85cc airplane you can go with two 1100 mA A123 in parallel to your receiver and get about five 10 minute flights or use two 2300 A123 in parallel and fly all weekend.

I have both setups 2 1100s in my 33% Wildhare Extra and 2 2300s in my QQ Yak