Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

battery charge time ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 PM
mrboombastik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery charge time ?

im new to the rc world. just purchased a traxxas stampede. i went ahead and bought a venom 5000 7 cell 8.4 how long does it take to charge? its been about ten hrs and the light on the charger still red. do i need something better than the stock charger that came with it or is this charger good enough?

Thanks for the help
Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: battery charge time ?

Hi, and welcome to RCU. It will depend on the charger's rate (current or amps)

If the charger is 500 ma then that delivers 500 mah (per hr)
If it happens to be 5 amps then that is 5000 mah (per hr)
Old 11-16-2009, 06:53 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off memory l think that charger is around 300Mah, it will probably mistake the peak charge level as well and sometimes not charge the batteries at all.
Consider a new charger, one that can charge at 5 AMPS will charge that battery in about 40 minutes.
Get one with an adjustable voltage via a digital screen, then set it to 3.5 AMPS and that battery will last alot longer.
Charge it at 1 AMP for a slow cool charge .

At 5 AMPS charge the battery will get pretty hot. Not recommended for ni cad or Nm batteries 5 AMPS.
At 3.5 AMPS the battery will get nice and warm.
At 2 AMPS it will get luke warm.
At 1 AMP it stays cool.

Next time you buy a battery consider LIPO as a replacement.
30 bucks gets you a 7.4v ,5000mah and it will smash the 8.4 one you have !
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
rendezvous944
Banned

Always trickle/slow charge a new battery overnigt to get the best preformance of a new battery. Never fast charge. it's ok to Quick charge for 1 hr after you trickle/slow charge.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mrboombastik

im new to the rc world. just purchased a traxxas stampede. i went ahead and bought a venom 5000 7 cell 8.4 how long does it take to charge? its been about ten hrs and the light on the charger still red. do i need something better than the stock charger that came with it or is this charger good enough?

Thanks for the help
Not sure what you mean by "light on the charger still red." On a lot of chargers that simply means it is charging. It is not an on/off thing, it simply means current is flowing. You are responsible for how long to charge the battery, not the charger. Now if you are using a more deluxe charger, like an Accu Cycle or Cirrus, then yes, the red light means the battery is in its discharge cycle, the yellow or green light means it is charging. These chargers either charge for a specific length of time (Accu Cycle is 12 hours) or the charger has detected peak voltage (Cirrus) and as auto switched to a lower rate usually indicated by a blinking yellow or green light.

Wall charges just have indicators in red, meaning they are connected and working. So it will not go on or off, it will stay on as long as you have it connected.

Hope that helps you.

Chip