Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Lipo Battery Parallel noob question

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo Battery Parallel noob question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:28 PM
KRSreefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Battery Parallel noob question

Hello Lipo experts,

Just wondering if you can run two different lipos in parallel? For example: 3 cell 1475mah 25cwith a 3 cell 1300mah 20c. Or do the lipos have to have the same specs in order to run them in parallel?

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Lipo Battery Parallel noob question

Hi, welcome to RCU. 2 different3 celllipos can be run in parallel.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:41 PM
KRSreefer

Thanks Guver,

Would you happen to know what happens to the C number when two 3 cell batteries are ran in parallel?

-C
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Thecombined pack uses the smallest "C" number of all the parallel packs (or less)

In your case the number might be 18 C , and if the packs vary a lot then the number may even be less than the lowest "C"
Old 02-05-2010, 07:09 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: guver

The combined pack uses the smallest ''C'' number of all the parallel packs (or less)

In your case the number might be 18 C , and if the packs vary a lot then the number may even be less than the lowest ''C''

I believe you are wrong on this. The internal resistance of the two batteries will be lower in parallel, so the C rating will be additive of the two batteries. So if you have a 10C and a 15C battery the C rating will be 25 when in parallel. If you add them in series, then the internal resistance would be higher, so the C rating would be lower,
Old 02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
ggcrandall1

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

ORIGINAL: guver

The combined pack uses the smallest ''C'' number of all the parallel packs (or less)

In your case the number might be 18 C , and if the packs vary a lot then the number may even be less than the lowest ''C''

I believe you are wrong on this. The internal resistance of the two batteries will be lower in parallel, so the C rating will be additive of the two batteries. So if you have a 10C and a 15C battery the C rating will be 25 when in parallel. If you add them in series, then the internal resistance would be higher, so the C rating would be lower,
The C rate of a battery does not change regardless of series/parallel connection. The C rate will always be the lowest of the batteries being ued.

While you can use batteries of different current rating is is not a good idea. When paralleling batteries they must have the same cell count. They should be the same mah, C, and state of discharge.

Do not confuse C rate with possible current flow. The C rate is the theoretical maximum safe current the battery can provide. However that is not the maximum the battery can provide.

For instance a 3s 2200mah 10C battery can safely provide 22 amps. However the battery could still be loaded to provide many times that much. Of course the attery will be damaged or even destroied if that was done.

So if you have a 3s 2200mah 10c battery and a 3s 2200mah 30c battery in parallel and your motor/prop combination is pulling 44 amps each battery will be drawing 22 amps. Yes they might vary slightly due to the internal resistance of each battery but it will be negligable. So the 10c battery will be providing it's safe maximum and the 30c battery will loafing.

Glen
Old 02-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The C rating determines the maximum safe current you can draw from a battery. If you have two batteries of equal voltage in parallel with at least a capacity of 1000 ma, you can draw the current from each battery equal to the C rating of the lowest one; i.e. if one was a C rating of 20 and the other a C rating of 30, you could draw 40 amperes safely. That would be drawing 20 amperes from battery or 40 amperes total. Just a simple math problem.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
richrd

I concur for the most part. Parallel adds BUT ! in this real world math an facts don’t work that way. To many if’s… new verse old packs, packs from different manufactures, etc, etc. Unless the manufacturer matched the packs then all is gone in the adds in parallel math BS.
THE ONLY SAFE STATEMENT IS TO USE THE LOWEST RATEING PACK.
This way if the good pack did not get a good charge then the weak pack cannot get destroyed or if the good pack get to be the weak pack then both are going to be destroyed. Get my point this is the real word not school math, the IR resistance is going to change every cycle.
Rich
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: richrd

I concur for the most part. Parallel adds BUT ! in this real world math an facts don’t work that way. To many if’s… new verse old packs, packs from different manufactures, etc, etc. Unless the manufacturer matched the packs then all is gone in the adds in parallel math BS.

In the real worl ONLY facts and math work, guestimates and maybe's do not.

THE ONLY SAFE STATEMENT IS TO USE THE LOWEST RATEING PACK.
This way if the good pack did not get a good charge then the weak pack cannot get destroyed or if the good pack get to be the weak pack then both are going to be destroyed.

When charging LiPo's in parallel, both batteries are brought up to the identical same voltage. One will not be charged to a higher voltage than the other.

Get my point this is the real word not school math, the IR resistance is going to change every cycle.
Rich

No argument here, it just does not effect the results, both will be discharged to the identical voltage regardless of whether or not they have different IR's.