Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Nimh In Auto Mode?????

Old 07-21-2003, 04:35 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nimh In Auto Mode?????

What would happen if you charge nimh in auto mode on Nova 250 instead of manule mode? False peak, destroy pack, maybe explode?? Any idea?
Old 07-21-2003, 05:41 PM
rcjetpilot
My Feedback: (35)

Default Hmmm

I would call FMA and ask them they will have the right answer. I have the same charger and have never tried it, say \s it can only autodetect NiCd. I would hope they have smart technologies built into the charger to detect the correct battery.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:13 PM
jacs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It gets very warm and someone said if you monitor it carefully and stop if it gets to warm that shouldn't be any problem but I WOULD NOT recomend it.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

The auto mode in every charger I have tested makes major compromises in establishing the charge/discharge regime.

IMHO the auto mode should avoided like the plague! You bought a charger that you can program to do the right thing. Do the right thing and set it up for the batteries you will be addressing, 9 program slots should cover most of your needs.

While these may be termed "smart chargers" - I guess the bar was pretty low when the termed them as "smart". They are no smarter than the guy that developed the algorithms for them and I think we have all seen a few holes in these as "smarter" chargers hit the market. An take it from one that has found out the hard way, "smart chargers" are no match for "dumb batteries". I guess the only ones that have not figured this out yet are those that market "smart chargers" at prices the hobby market will tolerate.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Steve Lewin

Interesting general point. I guess it depends on the charger. I stick to auto mode almost all the time, basically for exactly the reason Red gives for avoiding it like the plague.

I am certain that I know less about charging batteries than Mr Shulze, who wrote the algorithms for the chargers I use . Using manual mode would seem like unreasonable arrogance to me. Why on earth would I imagine that I know better than a well-known and reputable manufacturer whose products are used (in auto mode) by world champions ?

OTOH I might be prepared to second guess whoever it was who programmed the SuperNova .

The typical result of using the auto mode on NiMH with a poorly programmed charger is that it misses the peak and over charges the battery. It's unlikely to explode though it's not impossible that it will get hot enough to vent. Result - ruined pack. I've never tried it with a SuperNova so I don't know how good or bad it is with NiMH cells in auto.

Steve
Old 07-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Steve,

You probably have a good point . . . . who actually did the auto algorithms?

I'd probably rely on the engine monitoring system in a Rolls more than I would in a Ugo.

Generally on the Korean designed systems they are very conservative in the auto programming. If you are in no hurry, then they are OK for Ni-Cd. Ni-MH is another story. If I recall (I could check) they recommend not using the auto mode for Ni-Cd.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:55 AM
tunnelvishon

Steve,
Most "world champions" I would think, would not rely on an auto-mode algorithm coming from the pacific rim or anywhere else for that matter. Even really "smart" chargers have questionable origins of manufacture and engineering in this day and age. I believe they got to be world champions by understanding what they are doing and understanding it better than the rest of their competitors. I wouldnt mind hearing from some world class competitors on this though...if I happen to have this wrong.

just my .02 worth
Old 07-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Originally posted by nupeswv
Steve,
Most "world champions" I would think, would not rely on an auto-mode algorithm coming from the pacific rim or anywhere else for that matter. Even really "smart" chargers have questionable origins of manufacture and engineering in this day and age. I believe they got to be world champions by understanding what they are doing and understanding it better than the rest of their competitors. I wouldnt mind hearing from some world class competitors on this though...if I happen to have this wrong.

just my .02 worth
Observations after 73 years on this planet . . . .

CHAMPIONS don't get to be champions by operating in the "Auto Mode" on anything.

The "auto mode" is for people that don't want to make a committment to learning how to optimize their equipment's performance or their own.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:27 PM
tinyflier

Red, Thanks for your help and wisdom. My Dymond ST was undercharging my NiMH batteries to the point of non-usability! Setting the charge rate to 0.1 and then to 1C made all the difference! The batteries charged to 100% capacity. I'm guessing the peak detecting settings were too low and tended to stop charging way before the batteries were charged. I too am sceptical about "auto" settings...better to know your batteries and charger
Old 08-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Bill Yonescu
My Feedback: (44)

Default Triton Charger

The auto mode in every charger I have tested makes major compromises in establishing the charge/discharge regime.

IMHO the auto mode should avoided like the plague! You bought a charger that you can program to do the right thing. Do the right thing and set it up for the batteries you will be addressing, 9 program slots should cover most of your needs.
OK, I don't want to use "auto mode". Sounds great to be able to program the different charging parameters but is there a list of recommended parameters for various batteries?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Default Re: Triton Charger

Originally posted by Bill Yonescu
OK, I don't want to use "auto mode". Sounds great to be able to program the different charging parameters but is there a list of recommended parameters for various batteries?

Thanks,
Bill
Charging - 3C max for Ni-CD, C max for Ni-MH - if you are not in a hurry less is better. Lead Acid and Lithium are pretty well pre set if you select the correct voltage.

Discharge to check manufacturers rating should be at C/5 or as close as you can get. Set voltage cut off at 0.9 volts.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Bill Yonescu

Thanks for the reply and good information.

I am mostly charging RX batteries, all NiMH, 700, 1200 and 1600 mah, all 5 cells. I'm not in a hurry so I just charge them at .5 amps, manual mode (set up for 5 cells) and let the auto peak detector (Dymond Super Charger) shut them off. I was more concerned with and interested in the peak detect parameters for the NiMH and 1 cell NiCads.

I would like to charge a single cell 3300 mah NiCad (On board glow power) reliably at a faster rate than C/10. When I try even C/3 I get an early cut off with I assume a false peak. I've heard that single cells are problematic so I thought that a more programmable charger would work better in this area as well.

Any help with the peak detect parameters??

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Old 10-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Bill Yonescu

Default RE: Nimh In Auto Mode?????

Any help in charging and cycling a 1 cell 3300 Mah Nicad at 1C on the Triton would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill