Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Thunder AC6 opinions?

Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder AC6 opinions?

Hmm ok, im also torn with buying two of these instead of the Dynamite Ultra so I can do 2 lipo's at once for my new Savage Flux. Input? Are they quality chargers? The price is freaking awesome, even for two with shipping!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

I also can't find out what the maximum battery mah size this charger can handle, anyone know?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Thunder AC6 opinions?

There's really no maximum for any charger. There may be a max capacity listed on screen , but that can be doubled easily by restarting. Many packs can be charged on just one charger as long as they contain the same number of series cells (LI type)
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Freezetron

Ok, I just remember seeing some chargers with like a 9000mAh battery limit or something like that. I do realize that beyond 5000mAh it will take a bit extra time to charge but I could still charge two Lipos at once if I got two of them vs single 8amp passport ultra. I think I still come out charge time ahead if my math is correct

For a theoretical example:

Four 2s 7000mAh Lipos w/single Passport Ultra @ 7amps = 1 per Lipo = over 4 hours to charge

Four 2s 7000mAh Lipos w/ two AC6 @ 5amps = approx 1.5 per set = approx 3 hours to charge

If I factor in doing a 3S 5000mAh Lipo or above i'm looking at at least 1.5 hours per Lipo on each AC6 due to wattage limit.

Hmmmmm......
Old 07-30-2010, 01:14 AM
radius1x1

I own one and I'm not impressed. It takes for ever to charge and the instructions do not specify if cells are being charged in the "charge mode vs. balance mode." I much prefer my Hyperion EOS0606i. Much faster and excellent documentation and support. You get what you pay for!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:09 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my AC6 for several months now. Used it on NIMH and NICAD (1500-2700 mah) and LIPOs (3S, 2100mah). It handles them as advertised as far as I am concerned. If you are OK with the wattage limit (50W) and one battery at a time, it seems to be a good charger for the price. Mine came with a variety of leads (8 or so) also.

Brian
Old 08-01-2010, 02:25 PM
guys2nv

I have the skycharger b6ac-pretty much the same thing-b/c their micro processor controlled they take 4ever to finish of my 3s 5000mah lipos. takes about 70-75 mins to charge a 3s lipo from 3.0v a cell.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Tommyr

I received my AC6 last Thursday. Seems to work fine! Charged a few 1 cell LiPos with the adapters from R/C Accessory and my T-Hawk batteries. The display is very easy to read and it's fairly intuitive.

The ONLY thing I'm trying to figure out is, on the display during a charge what the lower right corner "Charge capacity" means. The manual doesn't really explain it. It's just 5 numbers and I can't figure out what it relates to yet. Anyone know?

I say get one!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Freezetron

I got mine today but the manual is a total joke. I dunno what the correct way is to store settings into the memory.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:46 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

If it keeps rising until pack is full then it is cumulative capacity added to the pack by the charger. It is expressed as mah for small packs.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:04 PM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Tommyr

I received my AC6 last Thursday. Seems to work fine! Charged a few 1 cell LiPos with the adapters from R/C Accessory and my T-Hawk batteries. The display is very easy to read and it's fairly intuitive.

The ONLY thing I'm trying to figure out is, on the display during a charge what the lower right corner ''Charge capacity'' means. The manual doesn't really explain it. It's just 5 numbers and I can't figure out what it relates to yet. Anyone know?

I say get one!

those numbers are the mah that have been put back into the pack..i have this charger and it works well for the money..the settings take a bit to save and such but after that its an ok for the money charger.The manual is a joke yes .
Old 08-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Freezetron

Finally got the answers I needed here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287800
Old 08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: mighty9

ORIGINAL: Tommyr

The ONLY thing I'm trying to figure out is, on the display during a charge what the lower right corner ''Charge capacity'' means. The manual doesn't really explain it. It's just 5 numbers and I can't figure out what it relates to yet. Anyone know?

I say get one!

those numbers are the mah that have been put back into the pack..i have this charger and it works well for the money..the settings take a bit to save and such but after that its an ok for the money charger.The manual is a joke yes .

Thank you! Yes the manual needs work. Now they need to make an adapter to charge the Plantraco Bahoma LiPos! Not that their TX radio doesn't do a great job but it would be nice just the same!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 PM
HEMICUDA

I've had mine for about a year. no problems so far. it is just slow for my 4s 5000mah lipos....up to 1hr45min to balance charge @2.85A
because of the 50 watt max output