RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   NEW- Lipo Upgrade 1/16 e-revo (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/10895820-new-lipo-upgrade-1-16-e-revo.html)

gvfdfirefightermark 01-06-2012 11:25 PM

NEW- Lipo Upgrade 1/16 e-revo

Hey guys/gals, first off my name is Mark i am a Volunteer Firefighter, I am new here just joined today 1-7-12 @ 1:12 AM.. Ihave been on a couple forums so im not new to forums in general, just this one. Ihope i can gain knowledge and get tons of help since i am a noob to R/C.

QUESTION: I have a 1/16 Brushless 2.4 gHZ on the way and i know that out of the box it can take (2) 3s Lipo's in paralell, and that the motor or ESCcan take UPTOa 3s battery so you cannot connect them in series. So Since i am new to all of this Iwould like to know which batteries have the best performance and have the best results when charged. Also what charger/balancer is the best for a person just starting out with electric R/C. I will be getting a liposack for the batteries as well because i have read the stories of them exploding/melting and well im a FIrefighter so Ilike to be safe,not sorry. With the other smaller wires that come out of the batteries those are the balance wires? and how do they work etc..

Thank You!

-Mark

P.S. any additional info you can give me about ANYTHINGi will greatly appreciate!

Goldenduff 01-07-2012 01:45 AM

RE: NEW- Lipo Upgrade 1/16 e-revo

Hello mark,<div>Re the balance wires you simply plug them in to the charger, connect team leads to the charger too and your are off. Some single cell lipos just charge through the balance leads because of the smaller voltage but not 3 cell.</div><div>
</div><div>I use hobby king for lipos, not that many places make lipos so many lipos are the same just re packaged. I have many hobby king lipos good.</div><div>
</div><div>Regarding a charger, if you are certain to stay in the hobby and progress maybe a good charger that will cope with your growth is an investment (copes with 6cell lipo, discharges/cycles). However if not sure many cheap ones are out there.</div><div>
</div><div>Good luck and enjoy, 3cell on a 1/16th sounds fun!</div>

gvfdfirefightermark 01-07-2012 04:26 PM

Thanks for the info, any good cheaper chargers? I'm just trying to price things out right now. I would like to go lipo but if it's to exspensive I may not go that route. I would need my charger to be a NiMH fast charger also.

Goldenduff 01-08-2012 01:50 AM

Well most lipo chargers can charge nimh but check!<div>
</div><div>Do you want to cycle batteries?</div><div>If you are running 2 lipos do you want a multi charger? (charges four at a time!)</div><div>
</div>