RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   The ABSOLUTE best field charger! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/1140322-absolute-best-field-charger.html)

Thunderhead 09-16-2003 10:36 AM

The ABSOLUTE best field charger!

Im needing a new field/home quick charger. I have several types of planes and radios. I have a plane with 2 seperate batteries (1 ign & 1 for rec) I'm looking at the Hobbico MKII for it's ablity to charge 2 batt's at once, but it doesnt cycle them. Also I would need a DC power source for home. (I've already done the PC power source conversion, I'm not impressed) The triton from GP looks great but that $130 price and it looks like you get to only charge 1 thing at a time. Money really isn't a problem, but I want to be able to by a charger that does EVERTHING I need it to do, and dont want to buy another in a year just because I didnt know they made it. Whats eveyone use, and what else is out there?

Derik

MHawker 09-16-2003 02:48 PM

RE: The ABSOLUTE best field charger!

Look in the product announcements section for the new charger that's coming out. It's called a Miniron Mobil. It looks very promising.

laryboy 09-19-2003 02:52 PM

USE THE MK2 FOR FIELD CHARGER AND LEAVE IN YOUR CAR. BUY CHARGER THAT RUNS OFF AC FOR YOUR SHOP AND LEAVE IT IN YOUR SHOP.

Falcon_az 09-19-2003 08:59 PM

Consider the FMA Super Nova.
Review on Red's site.
http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com

Ernie Misner 09-20-2003 03:48 PM

The Sirius smart charger makes the best field charger in the world. There is NOTHING to set on it, simply plug it in. On the other hand the Triton requires some programming and only charges one pack at a time. I have both and love them for their (different) qualities.

Ernie

captainG 09-20-2003 08:29 PM

I'll second Ernie on that. The SIRIUS CHARGERS are the worlds best. I bought a Pyramid AC 12v power supply so I can use it at home without running down my field box. Sirius also sells their own. The one thing I love about the Sirius chargers is no buttons!

[link=http://siriuselectronics.com/]Sirius chargers[/link]

[link=http://1stopcbshop.com/s-cart/form.phtml?g_intCatID=66]Place to buy a power supply[/link]

kadet 09-21-2003 10:58 PM

I use the Charge+ from Hughes RC, it does 4 battery packs at once.
www.hughesrc.com

Forgues Research 09-22-2003 07:08 AM

The Sirius smart charger makes the best field charger in the world. There is NOTHING to set on it, simply plug it in. On the other hand the Triton requires some programming and only charges one pack at a time. I have both and love them for their (different) qualities.

Wow, that's a strong statement. I presume you have tried all the rest to make such a bold statement..

SeacretsOceanCity 09-22-2003 07:19 AM

Get 2 tridents 135 a pop will do it all

sideshow 09-22-2003 10:22 AM

The one thing I love about the Sirius chargers is no buttons....
There is also no display.....

I want to know exactly what is going on...during and after charging. If my ECU pack needs more charging than usual I want to know it so I can figure out why....

I have not used a Triton but have heard pretty good things about it.

I have 2 Orbit V6's and I recommend them. They are not cheap, but they can charge everything that's available right now...and you can update the eprom (software) when another technology become available. I updated the one I bought 2 years ago for $15...it's as cutting edge as the one I bought two months ago....pretty cool.

rajul 09-22-2003 07:25 PM

Hi Derik,

What type of batteries (i.e. NiCd, NiMH, Li-poly) and capacities do you use in your Tx and planes ?

Boeing 01-02-2004 04:07 PM

Its worth your time to go to: www.aerografixs.com and investigate the Sommer Miniron Mobil charger.
I've been using one for a couple of months and it outshines any other charger currently on the market.
Dave

rctrax 01-02-2004 10:57 PM

ACE digipulce is the best all around charger I"ve found. charges six different batterys of any type or any size simontaniously 85.00 at Radical RC. Uses household current. buy another field charger for the field.

outa control 01-08-2004 10:11 PM

I use this cycler/charger and do not have any complaints so far. This can be used either in the home or at the field but I mainly use it at home. It only can charge two packs at a time which is all that I need. I have a quick field charger which I use on my flight box. Check out this link and see if this will fit your needs.

[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/review/350370man.htm]cycle pro[/link]

Ernest-T 01-09-2004 01:57 PM

If your stars are in the right quadrant, you have your 4-leaf clover and lucky rabbits foot, and you don't need one anytime soon, you might consider getting on the list for an Alpha 4. Has 4 charging ports, does NiCds, and NiMh, and runs of AC and DC (including with your car running, so you can charge on the way to the field).

spitflier 01-10-2004 06:41 AM

You should look at the Schulze This does everything including hook up to your computer and chart the charge times, memorize charging data for every pack, It does li-pos, Ni-Cd, Ni-Mh, and gell cells http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/index_uk.htm. I hoping it would cook me breakfast but that's the next model up

shaunrbell 01-11-2004 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I second the Schulze charger. Being a former Alpa4 owen, i needed something with more capacity.

- 4 ports, 2 @ 5.5amps and 2 @ .3amps
- 28ah gell cells for field use
- dual 10amp power supply for home use (plug and swith on side)
- even air and propane lol!

Shaun Bell

isaac 01-12-2004 09:05 AM

My understanding is that you need 20 amp power supply to run the shultz.

Forgues Research 01-12-2004 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: isaac

My understanding is that you need 20 amp power supply to run the shultz.
Besides, the Shultz only has 2 output, so you need two of them to get 4 outputs, where as the Miniron Mobil has 5 output in one unit.

Roger

GalenB 01-13-2004 12:42 AM

For field charging I use the Sirius Pro chargers. I'll not claim they are the best, but they sure are easy to use, no buttons or settings to mess up! They are also flexible -- I modifed one of them to charge two receivers batteries instead of one receiver and one transmitter. Since everything is automatic it charges whatever I plug it into properly. With my Coleman car starter, it has 2 outputs, and my 2 Sirius chargers I can charge 3 receivers (2 receiver batteries and ignition) and one transmitter at the same time. I use a SuperNova for cycling. I've not found the need to take it to the field and prefer to cycle my batteries at home...

Sirius also makes a decent cycler and offers an inexpensive 12v bench power supply.

c/f 01-13-2004 01:27 AM

Besides, the Shultz only has 2 output, so you need two of them to get 4 outputs, where as the Miniron Mobil has 5 output in one unit.

Roger

This type of comment points out the misinformation that abounds with chargers. I learned the hard way after securing a Alpha 4 that it is way overrated and promptly sold it as new.

The maximum amperage output in DC amps of all the top chargers is in the range of 6.5 amps DC to a reported 8 amps DC. This amperage is an absolute constant so wether you have 1 port to 4 ports you only get a total sum of the max divided amongst all the ports. You "DO NOT" get max potential across all ports or a total of 20+ amps.

So heres a scenario to consider, if you use two ports and they divide half the max potential then it takes twice as long to charge across two ports than if you had just charged them twice as fast in one port which ones better???

My favorite is the Schultze, the Miniron?? has a very low output voltage/cell count potential for my needs. You must be able to spell out your pack types and cell counts to narrow the field. If quick charging are important to you don't get hung up on ports as the max amps of all the top rated are nearly the same. If your going to spend alot of money it would be wise to get a charger than can tell you at any point during charging or discharging what ampacity and current rating is going in/out at any point in time during the charge. This is great for contest's as the use becomes predictable therefore between round charging becomes an easy method to determine your batteries characteristics of use and when something is strange it may just well be..........

Another wise feature is to get one that will top off with a trickle charge once the peaks have been detected and tripped off the charging circuit. Otherwise your bateries will never see a complete 100% charge capacity.

Panzlflyer 01-17-2004 07:42 PM

I have run the Schultze and Triton and Fma and Super Turbo .....all will operate on a 3 amp power supply BUT if you want their FULL charge outputs then you need a bigger supply. The same is true off ALL of them.

None of these chargers is a Generator. (Including the Miniron)

What goes into the battery must come from somewhere and if you are charging reciever packs 10amps is overkill.
There are quite a few power supplies out there for $20 to $50 that output 10+amps.

c/f 01-18-2004 12:42 AM

"None of these chargers is a Generator".

How about 38VDC from a 12VDC deep cycle battery, charging at 8 amps on a Schulze!!!

Something went terribly wrong adding to the mystery/dangers of Lithium Poly use.

Was a brushless motor FUNTANA originaly ..................

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...postid=1336923

Panzlflyer 01-18-2004 09:02 AM

Stepping up and down voltage does not electricity make.
It was the amp issue I was on about. Other than the Electric guys most people are charging small receiver/transmitter packs and are under the impression that they must have the biggest power supply around which is not true unless as in your case they need it.

Forgues Research 01-18-2004 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: andyt

Stepping up and down voltage does not electricity make.
It was the amp issue I was on about. Other than the Electric guys most people are charging small receiver/transmitter packs and are under the impression that they must have the biggest power supply around which is not true unless as in your case they need it.
Andy,
When I was reffering to the miniron with 5 outputs, I was not stating that they could charge at a high output for the electric guys.

These chargers are for the non electrics, eg. Jets, large scale aerobatics, large scale warbirds etc. where you need to charge many batteries.

Roger