RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   Charging a lawn tractor battery for the field box (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/11466010-charging-lawn-tractor-battery-field-box.html)

coalburner 04-02-2013 12:13 PM

Charging a lawn tractor battery for the field box

I have a Diehard lawn tractor battery that I use occasionally with my RC starters. I was wondering if I could trickle charge it with the wall wort type chargers that are normally used to overnight charge the regular size field box 12V batteries. I measured the voltage on the lawn battery and it reads a bit more than 12 volts, which I would assume to be a normal full charge, but I wanted to just take measures to keep it this way. My regular Diehard battery charger would just indicate that it is at full charge and does not take further action. What do you think? or should I leave things alone.

4*60 04-02-2013 12:30 PM

RE: Charging a lawn tractor battery for the field box

State of Charge Voltage 12V 100% 12.7 75% 12.4 50% 12.2 25% 12.0 Discharged 11.9

So 12.6'ish is fully charged. I would just put it on charge with a regular charger every 2-3 weeks or every month. Shouldn't lose much standing during that time.

Warjet 04-02-2013 10:30 PM

I use a lawn tractor battery from Walmart that has 280 cc amps for everything except the 7 amp battery inside the field box to operate the power panel. Charge lasts a month at least, depending on how many times you charge the flight batteries, and it can be charged with your 5 - 10 amp field charger off the car battery. Costs $28 + core charge. Last one I had lasted about 2 years. The 240 cc amp version is $24.

Zrock 04-03-2013 05:39 AM

Just get one of those cheep battery charger/maintainers from your local canadian tire or walmart. They can be had for $20 - $30. Bolt it to the battery and make it part of your field box get home plug it in and forget it. Then you never have to worry about "is my battery going to last me the day?"

Rodney 04-03-2013 06:46 AM

ORIGINAL: 4*60

State of Charge Voltage 12V 100% 12.7 75% 12.4 50% 12.2 25% 12.0 Discharged 11.9

So 12.6'ish is fully charged. I would just put it on charge with a regular charger every 2-3 weeks or every month. Shouldn't lose much standing during that time.

I believe you are slightly in error here, full charge on a Pb wet cell under normal temperature is 13.7 volts.

flyinwalenda 04-03-2013 07:00 AM

Get a 12volt voltwatch ,stick it to the case and wire it onto the battery terminals. Press the button and you will know how the battery is doing. When it gets to the red then put the Diehard charger on it !

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDXG9

4*60 04-03-2013 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Rodney

ORIGINAL: 4*60

I believe you are slightly in error here, full charge on a Pb wet cell under normal temperature is 13.7 volts.
Doesn't matter what you believe!! ;)

12.7 at rest is fully charged. Here is 24 volt example.

http://www.solar-facts.com/batteries...y-charging.php

AND

http://centurionenergy.net/lead-acid-battery-basics

quote:
A fully charged lead acid battery will be at 12.6v at 70ᵒ F, this is the sitting open circuit voltage, meaning that it has not been charged or had a load in at least several hours

Rodney 04-04-2013 02:35 PM

Sorry 4*60, you are wrong. I've worked with these batteries for many years and the 13.7 volts is the proper number. You might want to check with an expert, Red at Hangtime hobbies for further info. www.hangtime.com/redsbatteryclinic/html or check with some of the ARRL info as HAMs used to use lots of these Pb cells and have published several articles on chargers for them and what voltage levels you can expect to see.

hugger-4641 04-04-2013 02:59 PM

Rodney is correct, I might add that most car alternators now days put out about 14.2 volts to accomodate a full charge.

chuckk2 04-05-2013 11:08 PM

Looking at one of the Pb batteries I have
13.6-13.8 is the specified "float charge" voltage, and 14.6-8 the maximum charge voltage.

snuts 04-05-2013 11:54 PM

Well going back to the original Question. I simply build a patch cord that goes from the Cigirrette lighter in my minivan to the back. Then attach my battery to it, charge on the way to the field occasionally.
Hope this helps
-Snuts-

Truckracer 04-06-2013 08:51 AM

Rodney and 4*60 are not listening to each other! I'll leave it at this: there is a difference between resting voltage (not on a charger and having sat for awhile) and on charge voltage.

wcmorrison 04-06-2013 09:32 AM

Long time ago I bought a "Keep warm" charger from Walmart.  It was designed to hook up to car batteries in the northern tier states while installed in the car.  It basically is a one amp float charger.  But on the cold mornings it kept the battery warm and functional.  Had a short cord to run out the grill for hook ups in your garage or at the motel (yes they have outlets just for that and heating the block too).  At anyrate that charger keeps my lawn tractor battery up that I use for starting and some times via the 12 V charger my airplane batteries.  My 5 year old lawn tractor battery spins my started like a top.

pilotpete2 04-06-2013 11:57 AM

+1!
I have two of the Schummacher 1.5A 6/12V battery maintainers from Wally World. Perfect for keeping the flight box battery topped off during the flying season. During the winter, my ATV (aircraft transportation vehicle) gets very little road time, so I keep it on float charge, ditto for the garden tractor/mower battery.
At 20 bucks, these are a good investment!
While these units are rated at 1.5A charge rate, I've found that when hooked to a 7Ahr gel cell field box battery after a day at the flying field, they actually only hit about .5A, so no problem with the charge rate for our field box batteries[8D]
Pete

hookedonrc 04-07-2013 12:26 PM

I use a "Battery Tender" only $20 and works great. I used to use it on my old lawn tractor and then a scooter during the Winter months. It works great and doesn't cost a mint.