RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   Charging 1S 70 80 mAh LiPos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/11703601-charging-1s-70-80-mah-lipos.html)

WildOtter 11-28-2022 02:23 PM

Charging 1S 70 80 mAh LiPos

Hello,

Im just starting out with the hobby and the model I got had 70 mAh Lipos recommended for lighter flight, so i got one to try, but i think the stock charger is too strong to charge such small battery (Eflite 1S usb LiPo charger, 300 mA). After learning about Lipo i noticed that that charger should be to strong for charging it safely and withouth damaging the battery. So im scrolling around internet to see what chargers have a possibility of charging such small 1S batteries at 1C. I could find no infromation out there on what chargers are best or even able to charge it. Manifacturers dont recomend any for the batteries that size, and noone is writing on how to charge such battery safely. So please, could someone recoomend a buget beginner charger that would charge 70 mAh battery to help out a newbie? Thank you in advance

ticedoff8 11-28-2022 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by WildOtter (Post 12752942)
Hello,

Im just starting out with the hobby and the model I got had 70 mAh Lipos recommended for lighter flight, so i got one to try, but i think the stock charger is too strong to charge such small battery (Eflite 1S usb LiPo charger, 300 mA). After learning about Lipo i noticed that that charger should be to strong for charging it safely and withouth damaging the battery. So im scrolling around internet to see what chargers have a possibility of charging such small 1S batteries at 1C. I could find no infromation out there on what chargers are best or even able to charge it. Manifacturers dont recomend any for the batteries that size, and noone is writing on how to charge such battery safely. So please, could someone recoomend a buget beginner charger that would charge 70 mAh battery to help out a newbie? Thank you in advance

Your "best bet" may be to charge 4 1S 70mAh pack in parallel at the same time using the 300mA charger.
The reason is that when you charge in parallel, the sum of each pack's capacity determines the current needed to charge all of the packs in parallel at 1C.
So, if you have 4 70mAh packs in parallel, they will need a 280mA charge rate to give each pack 1C. So, 300mA is about right.

Parallel charging is safe and is common.
You just need to create a 5 connector "hydra-cable" to connect 4 packs to 1 charger.

WildOtter 11-29-2022 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by ticedoff8 (Post 12752997)
Your "best bet" may be to charge 4 1S 70mAh pack in parallel at the same time using the 300mA charger.
The reason is that when you charge in parallel, the sum of each pack's capacity determines the current needed to charge all of the packs in parallel at 1C.
So, if you have 4 70mAh packs in parallel, they will need a 280mA charge rate to give each pack 1C. So, 300mA is about right.

Parallel charging is safe and is common.
You just need to create a 5 connector "hydra-cable" to connect 4 packs to 1 charger.

Ah, thank you very much, I was reading up on it, and (as you can see from my question) Im quite rusty with physics and electronics. I know that my question might have looked very basic, but im a quick learner and i thought there might be some way like that people charge them. I do plan to upgrade to a better proper charger in the future, as i understand they offer much more control with battery ranges to charge and i need to order couple of more of 70 mAh batteries and start reading up on parallel charging. Thank you again for helping me out. It helps a lot with being safe and secure on what is one doing.

Big Alice 12-04-2022 10:33 AM

I charge my 150 ma 1s batteries with a 300 ma charger and they charge fine. I'd just try one and see how it responded. Not a whole lot of expense if it fries.

ticedoff8 12-04-2022 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Big Alice (Post 12753625)
I charge my 150 ma 1s batteries with a 300 ma charger and they charge fine. I'd just try one and see how it responded. Not a whole lot of expense if it fries.

Charging a 150mAh pack at 300mA is 2C charge rate - you can get away with that as long as you are careful and only charge for 20 min or so.
Charging a 70mAh pack at 300mA is 4C charge rate. There is no need to "try one and see". Even if you take the pack off the charger in 7 or 8 min, the batteries will definitely be fried in only 1 or 2 charge cycles because they are not designed for a fast-charge.

WildOtter 12-04-2022 02:06 PM

I got a charger that can charge at 0.1 A so I planned to charge 70 mAh (1C for it would be 0.07A?) and charge it at 0.1 rate. That would make it just a bit over 1C if I calculated it correctly? Parralel also looks as an option, but I need to get more of same type batteries and needed cables and read up on it a bit more.

WildOtter 12-04-2022 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ticedoff8 (Post 12753641)
Charging a 150mAh pack at 300mA is 2C charge rate - you can get away with that as long as you are careful and only charge for 20 min or so.
Charging a 70mAh pack at 300mA is 4C charge rate. There is no need to "try one and see". Even if you take the pack off the charger in 7 or 8 min, the batteries will definitely be fried in only 1 or 2 charge cycles because they are not designed for a fast-charge.

Thank you for this really good advice. So I shouldn't believe the charging C rates manufacturers put on batteries? Eflite 150s say that it could be charged safely with 3C. That sounds to me bit high, given I have read on some lipo faliures around on forums

Big Alice 12-04-2022 06:57 PM

The charger I use for the 150 mah packs came with the model the batteries came with. Shuts off when the battery's full. So it's probably the right charger for the job. I don't care enough to argue about it so I'm going to leave you to your problem. Good luck.