RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   NiMh 1.2 volts ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/4229954-nimh-1-2-volts.html)

Dougget 05-01-2006 09:25 PM

NiMh 1.2 volts ?

This is a digital camera question, but I figured this is the place to ask about rechargeable batteries. If this needs to get moved to an off-topic forum, that would be fine...

Here goes. I've been using NiMh batteries in my digital camera for about a year. Fully charged, they test at 1.2 volts. When I put them in my camera, I get a low battery warning almost right away, but I can usually take several pictures (about 30). Recently, the batteries have been discharging very quickly, maybe 5 to 10 pics on fully charged batteries. If I charge them up and let them sit for two days, when I put them in the camera, it won't even turn on. I'm guessing my rechargeable batteries are shot. I plan to buy a new set.

Question is, since the NiMh batteries are only good for 1.2 volts, and the camera is really looking for 1.5 volt AA batteries, would I be better off getting NiCad instead? I'm pretty sure my charger will charge the NiCads as well, so it's just a case of buying some new batteries.

Thanks,
Doug

Ross Kean 05-02-2006 06:28 AM

RE: NiMh 1.2 volts ?

1) Your batteries are likely toast although you might try using a slow charge to bring them back.
2) NiCd batteries have the same nominal 1.2 V as NiMH so NiCd won't help very much.

I suggest that you slow charge the batteries and check the voltage of each one. Check when they are right off the charger and again after they have sat for a day. You may have one bad cell but it is never a good idea to replace a bad cell in an old (weak) pack with one good cell. For safe charging and discharging, all cells need to have the same capacity and (ideally) should be capable of the same discharge rate.

Ross

richrd 05-02-2006 09:24 AM

RE: NiMh 1.2 volts ?

ORIGINAL: Dougget

This is a digital camera question, but I figured this is the place to ask about rechargeable batteries. If this needs to get moved to an off-topic forum, that would be fine...

Here goes. I've been using NiMh batteries in my digital camera for about a year. Fully charged, they test at 1.2 volts. When I put them in my camera, I get a low battery warning almost right away, but I can usually take several pictures (about 30). Recently, the batteries have been discharging very quickly, maybe 5 to 10 pics on fully charged batteries. If I charge them up and let them sit for two days, when I put them in the camera, it won't even turn on. I'm guessing my rechargeable batteries are shot. I plan to buy a new set.

Question is, since the NiMh batteries are only good for 1.2 volts, and the camera is really looking for 1.5 volt AA batteries, would I be better off getting NiCad instead? I'm pretty sure my charger will charge the NiCads as well, so it's just a case of buying some new batteries.

Thanks,
Doug
Yes your batteries are dead best check is charge, then let sit if self discharge is a week it is time to chuck them. First NiMH are the best for camera’s because more capacity than NiCad this is from experience. The new HR3U AA (NiMH 2500mAH) from Sanyo really kick butt last so long I forget about them. I use my good ICE charger on them, they delta peak great. BTW I use 75% (1.7A) charge rate and peak at 4 mV. Another thing check your manual my camera has an alkaline and a NiCad setting to control the low voltage cut off set on rechargeable and works a long time.
Rich