RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   LiPo recommendations (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/4342368-lipo-recommendations.html)

packyj 06-01-2006 07:38 PM

LiPo recommendations

Being totally new to RC I admit I'm a little lost when it comes to batteries and the science of it all. I was hoping to get some help and advice on what and where to buy as far as lipo batteries are concerned.

The parkzone p51 mustang and fockewulf planes can use the 3s lipos they offer on the hobbyzone website, however someone suggested cheapbatterypacks.com as a much cheaper solution. Looking at that site I'm now completely confused. Any pointers on what can and cannot work in these planes would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for excellent flight times and good power obviously but looking through the options I'm not seeing how to calculate the mah for the packs or a rough estimate on flight times over the nimh batteries at 1000 mah. I already realize the increased power from the 11+ volts in the 3s lipo packs but as I've mentioned I'm a little lost on the mah for these packs

I apologize in advance for the scatterbrained post, I'll reword it if it's too unbearable.

GaryH-Eugene 06-01-2006 07:53 PM

RE: LiPo recommendations

mah is mah is mah - one of the big differences between lipo and nimh or nicad is the weight. Ounce for ounce, lipo have higher capacity, mah, than any other batteries.
I fly heli's and the stock nimh battery for a Blade CP is something like 850 mah and weighs 105 grams - the 1320 mah lipo weighs 85-95 grams. Almost twice the capacity with less weight.
Lipo's do cost more and are more particular to charging and other environmental considerations, but they are worth it for most applications.

The difference in 11.1 volt to a lower voltage is that the motor will spin faster. On my heli, I have to switch pinions on the motor to make the rotor speed a bit slower to account for the faster turning motor. As long as your motor can take 11.1 volts, it should be fine.

I can't comment on your particular airplane but perhaps someone has experience with it.

Here is a link to some very inexpensive 1300mah, 11.1v lipos - I don't have them but several people have said they are pretty decent for the price. Personally, I would buy Thunder Power, but to each his own...
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=635

Good luck!

Gary

049flyer 06-01-2006 09:28 PM

If you are totall new to RC as you mention in your post, you probably don't want to start with the Parkzone P-51 or the Focke Wulf. While good fliers, neither will perform well as trainers. In addition, Lipo batteries are probably not suited for beginners either.

Beginners often want a "cool" looking plane and then destroy it in seconds because the model is beyond their ability.

A slow stick or slow V would be a much better choice.

Stay away from Lipo batteries for now, they are expensive, easily ruined and potentially dangerous.

packyj 06-02-2006 08:06 AM

I've already outflown my firebird freedom and flown the p51 successfully... i actually found the p51 'easier' to fly with it being more responsive. I was mainly upset about the rediculously short flight time with the stock 1000 nimh battery, thx for the thoughts gary and fast

049flyer 06-02-2006 09:09 AM

If you have come this far this fast then you are way ahead of most beginners.

As to the batteries: Electrics get complicated in a hurry so be prepared for it! For the P-51 or Focke Wulf you will need a three cell pack of at least 2000 MA. Although it may seem that a smaller pack of the proper voltage should power it, the reality is that you also have to consider the current draw as well as the capacity when picking a battery. Batteries are limited by the total power they can deliver but also by the rate they can be discharged (power per minute). The parkzone planes we are talking about will draw about 20 to 25 amps, you will need a 2000 ma battery (lipo) or better to deliver this much power to the motor.

You should also know that it is possible (and not uncommon) to destroy a lipo by improperly discharging it even one time! $75.00 down the drain!! It is also possible (and not difficult to do) to improperly charge the battery to the point at which it will ignite and cause a fire. Nicad and Nimh batteries tend to just melt. You will need a special charger for Lipo batteries and they will usually take just over an hour to charge each one. You can easily spend more than the cost of the plane and radio on 2 lipo batteries and a charger. So get the checkbook out!

Please get some help or do plenty of research before jumping into lipo batteries.

rmenke 06-02-2006 11:34 AM

Packai:

You need to go to "Red Schoefields" site and read, read, read. Will answer all your questions on batteries and proper equipment. I bought a number of different batteries when I first started. Due to performance, I always came back to Thunder power. A lot of highly advertised brands just did not cut it, or were simply junk. My one battery from Cheep Battere Packs is still going, just does not provide the power needed for a AXI 2808 at 2200 mah rating. You will save a lot of buck by reading the web sites. ENJOY

brucyboy 11-07-2006 06:32 AM

[link=http://www.electrolite.eu/product_info.php/cPath/34/products_id/41]battery[/link] thats your best bet by far.

bruce

Red Scholefield 11-07-2006 12:36 PM

We should all be aware by now that batteries advertised as 20C continuous are NOT. Using them at this rate will degrade them in rather short order. I try to say under 8C and get excellent results.

Also vendors advertising their packs as 20C capable know little more about their packs than the beginner sucked in by them. Unfortunately this seems to be the norm with pack vendors, but I expect as people get smarter they are going to have to be a bit more truthful in the products they are peddling.