RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Batteries & Chargers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/)
-   -   Left receiver on for a while. Battery hurt ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batteries-chargers-84/4811240-left-receiver-while-battery-hurt.html)

Rudy Giuliani 09-30-2006 11:55 AM

Left receiver on for a while. Battery hurt ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I was doing some house cleaning, and when I was moving my plane I must have hit the power switch. I heard some noise later on and saw the elevator twitching.

I just checked the 4.8 NiMH receiver battery and it is reading 4.6 volts. Is the battery shot ?

It is a Hobbico HydriMax 4.8V 2000mAh 4/5A Square U Panasonic

Thank you for any advice.

Rudy Giuliani

oldvet70 09-30-2006 12:09 PM

RE: Left receiver on for a while. Battery hurt ?

Most likely you've caused no harm. Recharge the battery and see how it is. Pay attention while you recharge it and if it seems to be getting excessively hot stop charging it.

Campgems 09-30-2006 12:12 PM

Charge it back up and recycle it once to make sure it is holding a full charge and it should be OK. The Accucycle charger take the batteries down to 1.05 volts per cel on a recycle so your 4.6Volts is still well above that. I am sure do damage was done.

Don

jlkonn 09-30-2006 04:15 PM

Rudy,
I did the same thing with a brand new SR NiCd battery pack.
Mine was on for several days and was deader then a door nail.
I talked to Larry at SR.
He told me to put it on C/10 for 16-18 hours and let it sit for 48 to 72 hours then cycle it.
Compare to the cycle times I got immediately after charging.
If I lost 40-50% I had a problem.
Guess what?
I had a problem.
This is for a NiCd not NiMh.
But it may give you some ideas on how to check for loss of capacity.
If you have battery questions I highly recommend talking to Larry at SR. He enjoys talking to folks and it makes no difference if you are a customer or not.
Good luck!
JLK

Rudy Giuliani 10-01-2006 09:37 AM

Thanks for the tips fellers.

rajul 10-01-2006 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Rudy Giuliani

Hi,

I was doing some house cleaning, and when I was moving my plane I must have hit the power switch. I heard some noise later on and saw the elevator twitching.

I just checked the 4.8 NiMH receiver battery and it is reading 4.6 volts. Is the battery shot ?

It is a Hobbico HydriMax 4.8V 2000mAh 4/5A Square U Panasonic

Thank you for any advice.

Rudy Giuliani
From your description, doesn't seem to be any problem. Tha pack can be safely discharged to 0.9V/cell without any risk of cell reversal. At 4.6V, the average cell voltage is 1.15V. So, just recharge it and fly. For your peace of mind, you can cycle to battery to check its capacity. Anything above 80% is fine. Hope this helps

rajul 10-01-2006 10:09 AM

So, Rudy, are you the real ex-mayor Giuliani?:D