Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Anybody Flying a GP Super Sportster 40 Mkll ARF?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Anybody Flying a GP Super Sportster 40 Mkll ARF?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 PM
bjfrankl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Flying a GP Super Sportster 40 Mkll ARF?

I just recently purchased a GP Super Sportster 40 Mkll ARF. Is anybody currently flying this plane? I haven't seen one at any Fun Flys as of yet, so I am curious for feedback. I currently fly the Sig Four Star 40 and the GP Escapade.

Thanks!
Bjfrankl
Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Charlie P.

Default RE: Anybody Flying a GP Super Sportster 40 Mkll ARF?

Not the .40. I'm flying the Giant Super Sportster. There are two at our club. Nice flying models.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14812.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1511609  
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 PM
ChuckW

I had the .40 size ARF until a dumb-thumed it. Great flying airplane. Very fast, aerobatic but still tame at slow speeds. Just an all-around excellent sport airplane. I also built the .60 size kit version. it is a winner as well.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
timcat26

I have the .40 sized SS. I use mine as more of a speed plane as it has an O.S. 55AXin it. I think you'll find it pretty equivalent to the Escapade and the 4 Star in terms of capabilities and characteristics. It's something I fly just about every time I go to the field.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:47 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bjfrankl

I just recently purchased a GP Super Sportster 40 Mkll ARF. Is anybody currently flying this plane? I haven't seen one at any Fun Flys as of yet, so I am curious for feedback. I currently fly the Sig Four Star 40 and the GP Escapade.

Thanks!
Bjfrankl
There are sport planes, and then there are sport planes. The GP Super Sportster 40 MkII ARF is largely underappreciated as it is truly one of the very best ARFs on the market today. It's somewhat overbuilt by today's standards, and sports an extremely strong and rugged airframe.

I host a three-part event at one of my flying clubs called the Sport Pilot Championship (SPC), where we fly standard .40-size sport planes and trainers with .46-size two strokes on them and compete in pylon racing, sportsman pattern, and combat. I give out awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes in each event segment, and the overall points leader at the end of all three is crowned the Sport Pilot Champion and awarded the Olson Cup. The trophy is named after Oscar "Olie" Olson, one of the long time Omahawks club members who founded the club back in 1953.

The Super Sportster MkII 40 ARF has won the SPC pylon racing segment the last two years in a row. The 2009 SPC pylon winner had an O.S. .46 FX and the 2010 SPC pylon winner was flying his Super Sportster MkII 40 ARF with a K&B Screamin' .48 2-stroke. The Super Sportster ARFs beat out a whole field of LA Racer, Sky Raider Mach II, Ultra Stik, Tiger Stick, Phoenix Models Strega, Phoenix Model Dolphin, Avistar, GP Rapture, Pulse XT 40, H9 P51 PTS, and other assorted ARFs.

The Super Sportster 40 MKII ARF has no bad flying characteristics and a very wide flight envelope. It tracks well, turns sharply, and flies fast when the owner calls for it to do so. I mentioned it was strong, too. The 2010 SPC pylon winner hit one of the racing pylons as he was coming in to land; his Super Sportster literally bounced backward off of the pylon and simply kept flying. We had another pilot who won his racing heat earlier in the contest, only to total his Pulse XT 40 ARF when he hit the pylon while landing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ge94193.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	1512003   Click image for larger version

Name:	oj25891.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	1512004  
Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 PM
bjfrankl

I should receive mine tomorrow. I cannot wait to fly it, even though I may not fly it until next spring.

Bjfrankl