Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Good beginner plane super club or NEXstar?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Good beginner plane super club or NEXstar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
mval9188

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good beginner plane super club or NEXstar?

So I'm looking into purchasing a new rtf plane today. I have never had a plane so I'm a noob however I have about 6 Rc cars not sure if that makes a difference probably not haha. I need advice on a good plane for a beginner. I looked into either the super club rtf or NEXstar mini....any thoughts or preferences from you experienced hobbyists out there? Thanks in advance
Old 11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good beginner plane super club or NEXstar?

I take it those are both electrics.

One advantage that you will have as being a rc car person is that you already know the difference between right and left. Sounds simple, but when it's going away from you, well, right is right and left is left. When coming toward you, right is still right, BUT, it's the car right and not yours.

Same goes for flying aircraft, but often, things happen a bit faster. That beginning advantage can be a biggie because some take quite some time to get over that little hump. Main thing, get off the ground, climb up high, and fly the thing. Height gives you an advantage of error correcting time.. we call it three mistakes high...

As far as aircraft are concerned, well, I was trained on the Nexstar Select RTF.. the glow version and really liked it. Some trash the gizmo's but I don't.. cuz I learned with them and it didn't make much difference to me one way or the other. When I solo'ed, I took them off and never looked back. I DID, however, disable that AFS thing. Pain in the butt as far as I am concerned, as most of those that read this will surely agree with me on that.

I am not sure about the mini Nexstar.. if it's anything like it's larger brother, well, it's a pretty good choice.

I would also opt to go with glow.. but again, tha's just my choice. You decide what you want to use and go for it... and enjoy yourself!!!

CGr.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

If it were me, and know what I have learned in the past few years, Don't start with a Cub or a P-51 Mustang. The Nexstar is a good trainer, Mostany High Wing traner will get you going, A Cub is a different aircraft, difficult to handle on the ground, and has a tendenancy to tip stall if everything is not correct, balanced, laterally meaning wing tip to wing tip, and horizontal, fore to aft..
Get an instructor at your field, he will tell you your best choice and use the buddy box system until you can do it on your own. It will save you money.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:28 PM
DeferredDefect

Kadet Senior.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, that too.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I agree, the Kadet Senior is the best trainer out there without a doubt. Although Sig has discontinued most all of their aircraft because of supply problems, so I'm told. I learned on that plane 3 years ago, and still love to fly it with a O.S.55AX.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The electric Horizon Super cub is a fine trainer. The foam version, apparently, doesn't have all of the faults of the fuel cubs.

If you are leaning towards electric...also consider the EZ Star. After I crashed my Super cub a dozen or so times, I bought an EZ Star. Much easier and slower.

If you go fuel, as recommended above...most of the size 40 or so trainers will become pretty easy to fly. Size does matter. Rich
Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM
frenchie79

IMHO-Nexstar or Kadet senior or LT40. Get a Seasoned Club trainer and DO hookup to a buddy box. You won't regret that.This is probably more important than a bunch of us haggling on which is the best trainer. (Nextstar is fine)

Won't take you to long, but it is different than cars as our latest club student found out. They do turn in a similar manner BUT-They have a habbit of falling to the ground.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM
mval9188

so im thinking nexstar over the j3 cub it seems like a better choice for a beginner unless you guys can think of something else??? I only order from towerhobbies because Im a member and i get great deals with those coupon codes and of course the 3 easy payment plan so I can only order from there. I prefer rtf. Im willing to spend about 300. What is a buddy box and where do I find one thanks.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:47 PM
forestroke

i second the ez star recommendation. i taught my friends how to fly with the ez star. it's hands-off stability is excellent. the only issue is that it's not an aileron trainer BUT when it is time to go aileron, you can hack it up and make ailerons as well as increase the rudder area. i never needed to do the aileron hack but the rudder hack is worth the trouble. i ran my standard ez star with 11.1 lipo packs. made for wonderful flying. almost too easy!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I'll throw in my 2cents while your asking. If you want a glow engine and are going to get some help from an instructor and use a buddy box, then get a Hobbico Avistar. If you are going electric and/or going to do most of your learning on your own. Then get the Hobbyzone Super Cub LP. I wont bore you with the details of why I reccomend these unless you want to hear them.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I learned on the Nexstar and liked it. Nicest looking trainer I think, too.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 PM
DenverJayhawk

I had a NexStar and it was a great flying plane.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 AM
richg99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are dealing with Tower....why not also look at the tower trainer??? rich
Old 11-02-2010, 11:25 AM
cappaj1

Nitroplanes took over the supply of Sig's LT40's and you can pick one up from them for $85. I think it's the nicest looking of all the trainers and the best one to train with. They're out of stock right now but they keep getting them back in stock every so often so just keep checking.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a271-gas-superlt-60.html
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 PM
frenchie79

ORIGINAL: mval9188

so im thinking nexstar over the j3 cub it seems like a better choice for a beginner unless you guys can think of something else??? I only order from towerhobbies because Im a member and i get great deals with those coupon codes and of course the 3 easy payment plan so I can only order from there. I prefer rtf. Im willing to spend about 300. What is a buddy box and where do I find one thanks.
The Nexstar is a good choice, you won't be disappointed. A Buddy box is just a term used fora Instructor using His radio and yours linked together. The Instructor has control of the plane until he pulls the trainer switch or toggle, this gives the student control, which he can immediately take back control. This will save your plane and help you learn. Find an Instructor to help you and your Nexstar will see many, many flights.

Tower Hobbies is great-go for it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 AM
mval9188

great thanks to all......I ended up purchasing the nexstar should be here in a few days. Seems like planes are an exciting new hobby and a different change of pace from cars. Im sure ill have more questions so stay tuned. Just hoping i dont crash it first time out. If i like this Ill look to move up into the glow because they seem like they may be more fun than the electric.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
nobodytwo

If you want to use a trainer cord (buddy box) you are out luck with the Mini NexStar RTF. You will have to change radios and receiver. However. all the extra's that come with RTF, is a better deal than buying the ARF and then supplying your own radio & servos.

The Mini is a sweet flying electric and handles the wind fairly well.

Happy Landings!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 AM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

Good luck training.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
oldtyme

I have not flown the NexStar but several of the beginners at our field bought them and got help from our flight instructors. The one thing that the instructors did immediately was to disable the thing that rights the plane if it goes catywhumpus. They said that it really interferred with the instructor's ability to correct the plane while they were trying to use the buddy-box to train. You might mention this to your instructor. As I understand it if the "eye" sees a brighter light....such as the plane is upside down.......it trys to correct the attitude. So if the instructor is making a correction such as too steep a bank and the "eye" sees more light, it fights the instructor's inputs with what he is doing. I know that you can adjust the sensitivity of the system, but our instructors just elected to do away with it and just use the buddy box. You are right though.........that is a pretty slick looking trainer and the engine is reallly a nice one.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 PM
ES CONTROL

Buy a flight simulator  Put  20 Hrs. on It . And forget the trainer and  buddy box . 
I have seen several guys do it this way .  It works!!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:32 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

Buy a flight simulator Put 20 Hrs. on It . And forget the trainer and buddy box .
I have seen several guys do it this way . It works!!!!!
That's bad advice even though I did the same thing after busting up some pico sticks. And I noticed the OP has his cars in his sig and noticed they are all RTR's. Cars and planes are totally different in every aspect. With cars you can take an RTR outa the box, charge a battery and rip up and down the street until you hit a curb and then replace the right "A" arm at 7-8 bucks. You can't do that with a plane and no matter how much flight simulator experience you have, when you crash, and you will, most likely the plane will be totaled.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:41 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

One advantage that you will have as being a rc car person is that you already know the difference between right and left. Sounds simple, but when it's going away from you, well, right is right and left is left. When coming toward you, right is still right,

CGr.
And as so humourously put, when flying upside down...

"down is up, and up is expensive!"
Old 11-06-2010, 07:18 PM
ES CONTROL

Please !    Go for a simulator , I plead , You will not be sorry, I promise !