Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Wk-0701 flight controls for plane

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Wk-0701 flight controls for plane

Old 11-27-2010, 12:34 AM
robert1113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wk-0701 flight controls for plane

Hi everyone, my problem is that I have bought a walkera 60B helicopter in the past which came with the wk 0701 tx, rx 701, which Iam trying to use with a new mirage 2000 that Ibought. Each aileron on the mirage is controlled by a seperate servo and there is no seperate elevator control on the plane. So these two ailerons control both the roll and pitch of the plane. The problem is that Icurrently have one servo plugged into aileron, and the other plugged into elevator on my RX, making my flight controls out of phase by 45 degress i.e.
If I want to pitch the plane upwards, I have to push the joy stick up and to the right corner,
pitch down - bottom left corner,
roll left - top left corner,
roll right - bottom right corner
All thecombo's in betweenarejust weird controls that don't make sense. I've tried the dip switches on the back of my Tx, by having dip switch 8 turned on *CCPM*, it will sort of mix the the two when Icontrol the pitch of the plane (both ailerons will sort of move, at different amounts), but not when Icontrol the roll(only the servo connected to aileron will move). I've read that CCPM is strictly for helicopter swash plate interpolation.
Basically I need to the both servos, the same pitch instruction, pitch up or down, and the opposite roll instruction, one wing up and one wing down. If someone could explain to me what I'm doing wrong that would be awesome. I've tried searching info on my tx, but haven't found anything really useful.

Cheers, Rob
Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 AM
robert1113

Default RE: Wk-0701 flight controls for plane

Also if someone could suggest a good type of glue for bonding foam that would also be awesome.  I tried to fly it with these controls and crashed the plane pretty badly
Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news:
Epoxy always works very well on foam.
Bad news: I don't think you can use that transmitter on planes.
The only transmitters I know of that are interchangeable are the higher end computer radios such as JR 7-10 channel, Futaba 7u, 8u, 9's and up.

That's what I know.
Good luck, sorry you crashed, hope your next flight is a good one.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:50 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Rob,
You have a mirage 2000 which is a delta wing aircraft. at the back of the wing are 2 hrizontal control surfaces that should be used for both the elevator fuctions and the aileron functions. Is that pretty correct? That would need to have a not bottom of the line radio. Not a top of the line but a simple radio does not have the mixing capabilities that are required for that set-up. I am unfortunatey not familiar with the TXyou are refering to trying to use. I do not know if it has Ailevator mixing capabilities. When you say they are moving in funny directions it apears that you have one surface in the elevator spot and one in the aileron spot which could lead to a very unstable flight to say the least.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 PM
robert1113

Cool, cool.   I think you are right in saying that I need a better Tx and Rx.  That would be the most logical solution for my problem.  Although, I am now on holidays from university and because I have a lot of spare time on my hands I think I'll try a different approach first.  I should be able to do the signal mixing using a micro controller and some digital signal processing.  I'll whip up some simple hardware to do the job.  Not sure how well it will work.  I could provide a before and after video for demonstration to help others in the future.  I doub't many people have the same problem as me, seeing as most would have better equipment. It should be fun to try.  I will demonstrate the results, if it works.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:10 AM
opjose

There are two ways to solve your problem...

1. - You can purchase an inexpensive Elevon mixer. Tower has one for about $16.00 for their Slinger EP, which will work on any Elevon type plane such as yours.

2. - You can purchase a better radio that provides built in Elevon mixing.

Ultimately the latter is the better route if you can afford to do it.

The problem is that if you are upgrading to a better transmitter, you really want to purchase something that will last you for a long time and be able to handle all or most of the planes you purchase in the future. In addition that TX should be able to quickly switch between planes, and have all the features you'll need.

So you're looking at spending upward of $200.00+ for a computer controlled 2.4gHz TX of 7-8 channels or more.

If you are not ready to make that investment, just get the Elevon mixer from Tower....

Old 11-28-2010, 12:11 AM
opjose

Oops... it's cheaper than I thought!

$11.00 - here: [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXELT4&P=ML]Click me![/link]
Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 AM
jester_s1

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

For other beginners seeing this thread, this is a great illustration for why you shouldn't try to jerry rig your first plane! It would have been cheaper for the OP to get the right transmitter than to crash and repair (considering the old adage that time is money).

Now to say something constructive: Jets are the toughest RC planes to fly successfully, especially the low cost EDF's that are flooding the market these days. You should consider at least getting a radio that has basic programming so you can set it up to be as easy as it can be. I doubt the Walkera transmitter has enough range to really fly an airplane like you're trying to do. I understand that money is an issue (always is) but the cheapest way to do this hobby is to buy the equipment you need to do it right and taking care of it. Some RC airplane training would be a good idea too if there's someone in your area available to you.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM
cloudrider

G’day robert1113,
With only two control surfaces you need to connect the servos to the receiver via that Great Planes Electronic Elevon Mixer and connect that into the aileron and elevator positions on the receiver.
You will only need Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, and Gear channels.
So, on the Walkera WK-0701
Use the DIP switches 1 & 2 to set servo direction of rotation.
Turn to OFF
DIP 4 RUDD (rudder)
DIP 6 PIT (pitch)
DIP 7 Rudder mix (rudder and throttle mixing)
DIP 8 NOR/CCPM (in NOR gives independent A,E,&P servo operation.
DIP 9 CCPM ElEV
With the exception of 4, these are helicopter specific and will not be of any use for fixed wing.
Open DIP 11 TH-CRV/EXP and the display will change to yellow:
Set V1 and V2 pots to 12 O’clock for linear response then slide dip switch to OFF to lock the setting.
V1 for Throttle Curve, V2 Servo Exponential, at the 12 O’clock position both are linear.
You can use the flight mode toggle switch (top right) in conjunction with V2 Exponential pot via DIP 11 for setting dual rates function.