Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Engine Shavings....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Engine Shavings....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:21 AM
bigdanusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine Shavings....

When you buy a new engine do "you" on a personal level actually take the head and backplate off and rinse out the shavings with glow fuel that may still be in it from the manufacturer before you try to break the engine in?

I'd like to know,

big dan
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Engine Shavings....

I've never done it.

CGr.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM
jetmech05

I have never done it either
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Switch_639

who does that?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

No. I've never done that as well.

Ken
Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdanusa

When you buy a new engine do ''you'' on a personal level actually take the head and backplate off and rinse out the shavings with glow fuel that may still be in it from the manufacturer before you try to break the engine in?

I'd like to know,
big dan

When I decide to use a new engine, I do generally remove the backplate and flush the engine with regular Isopropyl Alcohol. I usually remove the carb while doing this and wash it separately. Using glo-fuel is too expensive and greasy. Then I spurt some oil in it, 3-in 1 or whatever is handy on the shelf, turn it over a few times and go from there.
Works for me!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only when I think about it. That's not often. When I do flush an engine I do the same thing as Hoss.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 AM
goirish

Hey Gene, Where did you want the snow. I have some coming to you. Front yard-back yard. I am not a greedy person and I am willing to share with you. Back to the post, I have not done that either, but maybe it is a good idea
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have removed backplates but not normally cylinder heads and done a simple flush and there have been times I was simply in to big of a hurry i.e. lazy.

Perhaps a better question is have I ever found machining debris and the answer would be yes but only in a very small percentage of new engines. Even more telling is the fact that the times I have found debris it has only been with what would be considered inexpensive engines. Of late I have been buying mostly OS and I have never found debris in any of them.

John
Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I pull the backplate off of every engine and use a Q tip to swipe around the inside, checking for any sort of machining debris / residue. If the swab shows any dirt or debris, I flush things out with some "jet spray" carburetor cleaner.

Most of the better quality engines are clean inside, but you might be surprised at the junk that comes out of some of the cheaper engines.

I've found alum. chips, gray gritty (looked like grinding residue ) crud...chips of flashing...
I found a small (needle valve ) O ring once...it was sitting right on top of the piston. That was one time where I took the head off, to see what else might be lurking in there.

Found a staple inside the case of a brand new 2 stroke engine once...

If I find that a bunch of crud has been flushed out, then I will also take the head off for a look-see...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 AM
bigdanusa

I've never taken them off either. The reason I asked was because I read this short article in "hooked on rc airplanes"

Tips for Breaking in The Engine

1.Always make needle valve adjustments from BEHIND the prop. Never try to reach around the propeller!

2.Make sure all mounting bolts and engine bolts are tight while breaking in the engine.

3.Before starting the engine for the first time, remove the head and back plate of the engine and flush it out with fresh fuel. You will find that there is a significant amount of shavings and debris left from the machining process.

4.Never turn an ABC engine over by hand until it is lubricated with fresh fuel. The friction from the tight fit at the top of the stroke may cause damage to the piston or sleeve if not lubricated properly.

5.It is always a good idea to heat a new ABC engine with a heat gun to open the clearance between the sleeve and piston before starting it for the first time. If it is very difficult or impossible to turn over by hand you will have no choice but to use a heat gun.

6.Check the condition of the glow plug after the initial break-in. You may find it full of small metal shavings. If that’s the case you should replace the plug to minimize the chances of the plug failing while your airplane is in the air.

big dan
Old 02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
JimmyZep

Im new to this and I am very suprised to read that you would ever
have to do this at all!!!

If I took the cover off a new eng and there were shaveings in it I would
send it back right away as a defect and demand a replacement or a full refund.

WOW!!

Jimmy
Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 AM
bigdanusa

ORIGINAL: proptop

Found a staple inside the case of a brand new 2 stroke engine once...
I found a piece of rice in mine ....

big dan
Old 02-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Jerry Sigur

I always remove the head and back plate, flush them out with WD40
or the like. You would be surprised what you will find when to do this.
Doesn't matter which make engine, you can find shavings in anyone
of them. Only takes a few minutes to do, why not?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: goirish

Hey Gene, Where did you want the snow. I have some coming to you. Front yard-back yard. I am not a greedy person and I am willing to share with you. Back to the post, I have not done that either, but maybe it is a good idea
Walked out of my shop today to get the mail and at some point I guess I had a pipe or the innards of my drip system freeze again? As I said, it got cold here last night. The side yard is flooded. Still no snow here this year, yet.
Back to the question. I have never found any shavings in an OS. Almost all my engines are OS or YS. I have been buying the SK line of cheap engines from Kangke but only the .90s. So far I haven't found and problems in them either. I do pull the back plate off of them and take a look. It's a good idea to look and flush but sometimes I do tend to forget. It's something that only takes a few minutes so go for it if you want.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM
downunder

I always remove the backplate to check and on a few occasions I've seen some swarf ranging from chips to alloy dust. I don't think it's necessary to remove the head because you can always squirt fuel (or whatever) down through the plug hole or through the exhaust. Fuel through the exhaust will flush down through the transfer passages and start flushing the crankcase and out through the backplate opening. Removing the head can lead to other problems if you're not aware of the proper way to retighten it.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 PM
tacx

Ask Yourself....When you buy a $30,000 new car, do you tear the engine down to make sure there is no shavings in it ???
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

No...I would hope that their QC would eliminate that need...but I've seen quite a few brand new cars that have had "bugs" in them. I worked at a new car dealership...saw a bunch of "stuff"...

Not really sure what you're getting at...and what that has to do with a relatively inexpensive, mass produced model engine though?
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

About 15 years ago, it was standard procedure to open up K&B outboard engines and get out the aluminum cuttings I'd always find in there. I doubt you can fine crud in most any engines today. If it's a new engine, I don't open them up anymore. Used, YES!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 PM
jeffie8696

Iopen them all up regardless. Iworked in quality control and Iknow how schtuff happens. Ionce found a Megatech 61 full of metal shavings, if Ihad run it that way it would have ruined it.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ive only done that with 2 motors i have(of dozens), since they were "vintage" (70s) motors, but would consider doing it from now on, it doesnt hurt doing it.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM
yearnin to Fly
My Feedback: (52)

The first DLE 30 I ever bought from a Guy named ( Ibcinyou! ) here on rcu, came with an extra wrist pin in the crankcase.

I started the engine up the first time and it locked up in less than 3 seconds. I grabbed the prop and tried to turn the engine, and it was almost completely locked up. Little did I know this would only be the begining of the problems I went through buying engines from this seller.

When I contacted the seller, Ibcinyou! he stated to send the engine back and in a few months he would try to get me a replacement. WOW, what a way to get treated.

Well after buying 3 more engines from him, and have nothing but problems, I learned my lesson.

The last engine I bought from Ibcinyou! wore out in less than 2 gallons of fuel run through it. I have sent him emails and asked him for warranty but he NEVER responds back.

I do not care who I buy a gas hobby engine from I am at least going to pull any covers that I can. And either flush it out or maybe even more. But then I was a mechanic for 30 years and have the proper tools and knowledge to take an engine completely apart and put it back together properly.