Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

More Radio Advise

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

More Radio Advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: More Radio Advise

Buying the same brand for everything in a flying system is not necessary if the user understands that he can "bind" or connect his transmitter to his receiver before he flies his plane. The same brands are not necessary for this process from my understanding.

Also, I'm told that beginners can now have a trainer also bind his transmitter to that same receiver in your plane so he too can control your plane in an emergency when teaching you to fly. Receivers don't care what brand of thransmitter is used.

I'm told also the new 2.4 transmitters can bind to older 72 receivers so this is not an issue either. ????
I don't think a single statement here is correct.

While you may find some compatible second source equipment vendors, for the most part you have to use receivers designed to work with each specific radio transmitter.

Transmitter don't bind to receivers, receivers bind to transmitters.

Unless you have a transmitter designed to operate on both 2.4 and 72 MHz, you will not be able to use the 72 MHz receivers.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scigs30,
Your posts indicate you already have two radios. Exactly what do you have?

If what you have is functional, get your trainer up and running with it and decide later (after you have some current stick time) what you might want. If you join a club, or fly with an informal group, maybe you can handle a variety of transmitters to see what 'feels good' in your hands. Picking a transmitter is a personal thing. What feels good to me might feel awkward to you. If you're buying a high dollar unit, you really do want it to fit you.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: AltaTed

Buying the same brand for everything in a flying system is not necessary if the user understands that he can ''bind'' or connect his transmitter to his receiver before he flies his plane. The same brands are not necessary for this process from my understanding.
Sorry but that's false.

JR/Spektrum RX's will only bind to JR/Spektrum TX's.
Futaba RX's will only bind to Futaba TX's.
Airtronics RX's will only bind to Airtronics TX's.

In 72Mhz you have more flexibility as you CAN use some second part receivers, provided that the receiver and transmitter does not use PCM or other technology and the receiver has the same shift pattern as the transmitter.... but you are well into what I mentioned previously.

Also, I'm told that beginners can now have a trainer also bind his transmitter to that same receiver in your plane so he too can control your plane in an emergency when teaching you to fly. Receivers don't care what brand of thransmitter is used.
Whomever said that to you is quite wrong.

There are SPECIAL ( but expensive ) devices that permit two TX's to wirelessly control a single plane.
But because these are new, have an associated additonal cost, and require that you use the same BRAND of equipment, they are not common.

The normaly way of having two TX's control a single plane for teaching purposes is to ONLY have one TX transmit, while a second TX is hooked to the transmitting TX and temporarily provides the stick signals to the first.

And receivers very MUCH care what brand of transmitter is used.

I'm told also the new 2.4 transmitters can bind to older 72 receivers so this is not an issue either. ????
Who on earth is telling you all of this?

There are special (additional cost) modules for SOME TX's that permit what is normally a 2.4gHz TX to fly specific types of 72mHz reciever planes... but that's it.

However you must have one of the "better" computer controlled modular TX's for this to work.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM
opjose

I never realized this or even thought about it until I got my first 72 set. I sure wish I had known this to begin with as I would gladly have invested in 2.4 to start.
That's the whole point of this thread... and various discussions ( cough * arguements * cough )...

Newbies asking for guidance are better off if they are instructed to avoid their natural tendancy to buy a cheap starter 4CH TX's

A relatively small incremental amount spent up front, buys them a radio that will see them through many years of service while providing them with features and benefits through all of that time.

Once you own multiple planes, digital trims alone is a must...

I didn't listen to this advice when I started.... and sadly it WAS given to me.... As a result I have a rather nice collection of about 12 different TX's chronically my progression from 4ch through 12x.

Had I taken the money I spent initially on my first three TX's, ( and they were USED to save money ) I could have purchased a very good upper end set.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:51 AM
carrellh

AltaTed,
What types of models do you see yourself having in the 3 to 5 years? Look at the 'radio requirements' info and see how many servos they call for. If you have at least as many channels as servos, you should have a lot of flexibility for setup. In addition to having enough channels, be sure the mixing functions in the transmitter actually do what you need. One example of this is support for dual elvator servos. Some transmitters 'say' they do it but it turns out the trim only works on one side.

Many people buy midrange transmitters more for expanded model memory than for channels or features.

I have been a beginner since 2001 and everything I have owned can be flown using a basic four channel system. I use a Futaba 6XAS (2001 model) and have my dual aileron models set up to use two channels but that is a preference rather than a requirement.

The long antenna does not bother me.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm really surprised that this thread has gone as long as it has. There's some good advice here, some muddy water, some arguing, a few personal attacks and general rudeness, and a little bit of off topic rambling. It has everything you could want in an online message forum!

To the OP: As you can see, there are varying opinions on the topic for a beginner radio. The biggest thing that will determine your best choice is your budget. If you can spring for a $250 system then you'll be set for a good while. If you can't, then you'll have to start with something less capable, probably used and on the 72mhz band. Either way you'll have a great time learning RC as long as you maintain your equipment and listen to your instructors. Good luck with it.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 PM
AltaTed

Thanks, Thats why I posted the message above. I keep getting different answers and am trying to sort this all out. I was told last week by a club member they could bind to most planes for "dual control"  Binding is fairly new to me but transmitters and frequencies and their normal match in other fields from model flying is not.  Are you saying that even though two different brands of transmitters are on the same frequency and channel that receivers of a different brand may not or do not communicate?  Do these use some kind of signal encoding to lock others out so they can't bind to different brand of receiver?

I started with a 72 with an ARF trainer that came with a Fly Sky (6) ch TX and receiver .  I then got a 2.4 (4) ch transmitter named E-Fly that came with it's same brand receiver with another plane. I got a second Corona brand 2.4 receiver and the bind to my 2.4 transmitter works fine. I got that to convert my trainer to 2.4 . I now have several more planes and all bind to and work on the one 2.4 TX. 

All this now has me confused  as I consider upgrading to a better transmitter. This based on what you have stated and what I hear from others, so I'm trying to sort this all out. Thats why I said "I'm told"   I don't know what the real facts are and the more I see on these various forum discussions the more confusing I find it.

It was so simple when a frequency was a frequency and a channel was a channel. Now, it's brand specific to have things work together??

I appreciate all this information but find different answers for the same questions. I know radio equipment in general but just now am I learning about hobby related equipment and all the confusing choices available. Hindsite I guess I got too much data and not enough information beforhand when I got my trainer. I want others to benefit from what I consider my mistakes have been by using these forums..
Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
bigdanusa

For a beginner choosing a basic 4 channel radio compared to a fancy 6 channel radio on up is

like choosing a hotel. You can choose motel 6 or the ritzcarlton.

What it boils down to is they both offer a bed to sleep in!

big dan
Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM
carrellh

With 72 mhz, brand does not matter too much (PCM is an exception). There is 'shift' (positive or negative) that determines if transmitters and receivers are compatible but, if two transmitters are on Frequency 72.770 mhz (also called channel 49) at the same, they will interfere with each other and likely cause a crash.

With 2.4ghz, brand does matter. There appears to be no compatibility between the 'big' brand names. Sometimes there are even issues within the brand where only certain transmitters and receivers communicate with each other. Based on your experience with E-Fly and Corona working together, they are probably made by the same company.
Airtronics transmitters only work with Airtronics receivers
Hitec transmitters and TX modules only work with Hitec receivers
With the exception of "clone" receivers that are being sold by Hobby King:
JR/Spektrum transmitters and TX modules only work with JR/Spektrum receivers
Futaba transmitters and TX modules only work with Futaba receivers
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see a lot of mentions about $250 radios. Are you talking about 2.4?
From what I have seen, you have to pay at least $400 for a 2.4 that includes 4 servos.
The same system on 72 with 6 chanel and 4 servos can be acquired new under $130.
I chose Motel 6 as a newbie, and look forward to sleeping one day in a Ritz-Carlton.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: harryangus
I found these 2.4ghz systems that can be purchased for $210 to $260 with four servos and free shipping. The Airtronics is an 8 channel, the others are 6 channel.

Hitec Optic 6 Sport with 4 servos $210
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=HRCJ5942&P=0

Hitec Optic 6 with 4 servos $235
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=HRCJ5999&P=0

Airtronics RDS8000 no servos $220
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=AIRJ8700&P=0
add four Hitec HS311 standard servos for $32
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=HRCM1312&P=0
Total $252

Futaba 6EX 2.4 with 4 servos $260
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=FUTK6901&P=0

Horizon does not have free shipping (as far as I know) but the DX6i is $210. Four standard servos can cost as little as $32.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Carrel.
I like the Futaba. It's the same transmitter that came with my flight simulator.
This will probably be my next one.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 PM
capo915

To OP:

Very difficult question you just asked and Im sure you are having trouble sifting through all the yak yak. If your question was what is the BEST 4ch radio then Id have to say this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXKJD8**&P=0. but in my humble opinion it is too much money for what you get. Your not gonna get a definitive answer on these forums or at your flying club. Why? Because just like politics everybody is partial to something. You think this topic is heated? Look up Futaba vs. Spektrum on these forums. WOW!

A 4ch radio would do you fine for your first beginner planes, maybe one or two and there is nothing wrong with that. What the guys are trying to tell you is they, we have gone that route and started the way you want to with a four channel with four servos, 4.8v batt, on-off switch and the like. IT DOESNT LAST. This purchase, if you really want to fly and keep up with it, is not worth it in the long run but will be fine with small electrics and trainers. Just dont expect anything else of grand scale. 72mhz is also fine and some in our club including me still fly it from time to time with the smaller planes mind you and I have seen a couple of 35% extras that still use 72mhz.

Go with what you want but be careful that we warned you before spending 60 or 80 dollars less now could ultimately cost you 300.00 or 400.00 later.

And I would say the 4 channel radio is more like a cot than an actual bed. Sure you can sleep on both but what would you rather sleep on? A cot or a king size or even a fullsize bed?

Happy flying!!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:31 PM
calliesdad

From what I have seen, you have to pay at least $400 for a 2.4 that includes 4 servos.
The same system on 72 with 6 chanel and 4 servos can be acquired new under $130.
I chose Motel 6 as a newbie, and look forward to sleeping one day in a Ritz-Carlton.

GREAT POST!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
opjose

Thanks, Thats why I posted the message above. I keep getting different answers and am trying to sort this all out. I was told last week by a club member they could bind to most planes for ''dual control''

Binding is fairly new to me but transmitters and frequencies and their normal match in other fields from model flying is not.
He may have been describing "buddy box" ing which is different. With a buddy box setup you use a cable between the two transmitters.

There is no additional "binding" involved. Only one transmitter is actually ever transmitting, the other is dormant.

Are you saying that even though two different brands of transmitters are on the same frequency and channel that receivers of a different brand may not or do not communicate?

Correct for 2.4gHz and for 72mhz that spells disaster!

A second TX coming on to the same 72mhz frequency is likely to cause the pilot to loose control of the airplane.

Do these use some kind of signal encoding to lock others out so they can't bind to different brand of receiver?
The technologies are different, as is the encoding.

In many cases two 2.4gHz TX's can utilize the same broadband frequency range, and each receiver never sees the signals destined for the other.

The receiver will only pay attention to tranmissions that have a unique ID prefix if they lock onto another momentarily.

I don't know what the real facts are and the more I see on these various forum discussions the more confusing I find it.
Actually the "real facts" have been stated already, there are those who differ on what to recommend to a newbie, but other than their opinions, their facts are never-the-less correct...

If the facts are wrong, eveyone jumps on the poster... now with opinions... that's another matter...

Don't make the same mistake I did thinking I could start with a cheap ( and used ) TX. As you're already starting to discover it's not worth saving a few bucks on the difference in price. An extra $50-80.00 buys you a lot with your TX.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
calliesdad

I think in everyones own way, the advice being given is sound. It comes down to this: If you can afford the nicer model with the bells and whistles, buy it. You never know what you will need it for should you choose to progress. If you are on a budget and want to keep costs down, buy the less expensive model, even if it means you purchase a used 72mhz model that will suit your immediate needs. Just know, you may incurr additional costs down the road should you choose to expand your fleet.

The problem with this thread has been the lack of many to just answer the simple question: which 4ch would be recommended? Unfortunately, that got lost in all this. You can'task someone who drives a Mercedeswhat isthe best recommendation on the newest Hyundai, which is basically what occured here. I'm willing to bet that some on this thread have top of the line equipment for RC but lack quality in other areas of their possessions (by choice). It all comes down to what is important to you. Bottom line, ask for advice, listen to what is said, and then make the best educated decision based on your current needs, your foreseeable needs, and your budget. NOT what you can afford, but what you are willing to spend. This is just a hobby and supposed to be fun!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM
opjose

A bit of searching can net you some interesting bargains.

Hobby People had the Airtronics RD8000 with RX and servos prior to Xmas for about 180.00 or so. Prices were posted on other threads about the specials.

Even the SD-5G 2.4gHz 5 channel computer controlled radio can be had at list price for $99.00 WITH receiver, which undercuts that $130.00 rate.

I just use the "Priceline Negociator" and sleep at the Ritz-Carlton, while others keep to the Motel 6, yet we both pay about the same.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:27 PM
bigdanusa

ORIGINAL: calliesdad

I think in everyones own way, the advice being given is sound. It comes down to this: If you can afford the nicer model with the bells and whistles, buy it. You never know what you will need it for should you choose to progress. If you are on a budget and want to keep costs down, buy the less expensive model, even if it means you purchase a used 72mhz model that will suit your immediate needs. Just know, you may incurr additional costs down the road should you choose to expand your fleet.

The problem with this thread has been the lack of many to just answer the simple question: which 4ch would be recommended? Unfortunately, that got lost in all this. You can't ask someone who drives a Mercedes what is the best recommendation on the newest Hyundai, which is basically what occured here. I'm willing to bet that some on this thread have top of the line equipment for RC but lack quality in other areas of their possessions (by choice). It all comes down to what is important to you. Bottom line, ask for advice, listen to what is said, and then make the best educated decision based on your current needs, your foreseeable needs, and your budget. NOT what you can afford, but what you are willing to spend. This is just a hobby and supposed to be fun!

Very well said.

The less I have to spend in this hobby to get my 250-300 flights in a year the more I like it.

Like I said earlier, my 4 channel radios will fly my planes just as well as any other radio will.

big dan
Old 02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
bigdanusa

ORIGINAL: opjose

I just use the ''Priceline Negociator'' and sleep at the Ritz-Carlton, while others keep to the Motel 6, yet we both pay about the same.
Sleep where you want but after a google search I found that both places have found bed bugs!

If I have to sleep with bed bugs, I prefer sleeping with the ones at motel 6.

Maybe the bed bugs at the ritzcarlton are dressed nicer. I don't know!

big dan
Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: bigdanusa

Maybe the bed bugs at the ritzcarlton are dressed nicer. I don't know!

big dan
Lol.

Nah, they just expect bigger tips after they drain your blood!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Longbaskt
My Feedback: (5)

I've flown about everything and trained a lot of folks... If I were to do it again, I'd go with the best 2.4 computer radio I could afford right out of the gate. Why? My needs change but the TX will be there for me as I grow and move around. In today's market, you can bind to a helicopter, a DF, a glider, and a trainer to just one radio and it will fly them all WELL.. as you decide what you want to get into. The planes are expendable, the TX isn't. Do you really want to learn 15 different programing techniques, switch locations, different "feel" of the radio? You will not stay a beginner long, and you may find that a particular flying style suits you more then another. You won't go far on the "beginner" radio - and you'll only get pennies on the dollar when you finally decide to dump it. This is not a cheap hobby... count your costs before you start out with a "chepo" TX and try to save your way into a nice flying set-up. If you really want to test the waters go with a RTF (everything including a radio is included)... But, like someone pointed out - big planes fly, little one flitter. You get what you pay for.

Good luck... enjoy the HOBBY... Its got lots of different facets that keep everyone amused.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Nebbie

Here's the route I went. Granted I got in the hobby before 2.4 and still don't have any 2.4. My first plane was a HobbyTown RTF including the transmitter and receiver, etc. My second plane was an Ultra Stick ARF with dual aileron and flap servoes. So when I got that I bought a 6ch Futaba T6exa computer radio. I still use the Futaba 4ch with the trainer. The computer radio is for my other models. That way when I bought a new plane, all I had to buy was the receiver and servos.

The 4ch radio is still fine for my trainer. And yes I still fly my trainer. It is relaxing to fly it!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 PM
scigs30
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: carrellh

scigs30,
Your posts indicate you already have two radios. Exactly what do you have?

If what you have is functional, get your trainer up and running with it and decide later (after you have some current stick time) what you might want. If you join a club, or fly with an informal group, maybe you can handle a variety of transmitters to see what 'feels good' in your hands. Picking a transmitter is a personal thing. What feels good to me might feel awkward to you. If you're buying a high dollar unit, you really do want it to fit you.
I have a couple of older Futaba radios one is 4 channel and I think the other is 6. I have not flown in years but recently finished a couple of kits and would like to start flying again. Everyone at the field is flying 2.4 radio equipment, some 4 channel and some 6 or more channels. The reason I was asking about 4 channel is because I think that is all I will be using for the next couple of years. I like building more than flying, I know, call me strange.... so it will take sometime before I need 6 channels. I just finished the Great Planes Electricub and now I am working on the Herr 48 inch Cub, will convert to Electric. Before I buy more kits I have to finish what I have and that will take a while. Lets see, I have A .40 Great Planes Cub, Sig 1/6 Cub, Slowpoke .15, Midwest Aero Electric, a 80's R/N trainer, and a Easy Built Beaver. So as you can see I will be busy for a couple of years before I see any more advanced planes.
This has been an intresting Thread and I am learning a lot of how things have changed over the years.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Gooseman240

@ Campy

Do you have a flysky system?

How would you rate this product other than the fact to have a laptop beside plane while hooked up to transmitter to program it?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 AM
carrellh

scigs30,

Nothing strange about liking to build.

I would not buy anything right now. I'd use the two existing radios at least until the third plane is almost finished. When you have more than two planes flyable you might want a transmitter that can store settings for multiple models. At that point I probably would go with a spread spectrum system.

If I were buying one today it would be the Hitec Aurora 9. It currently costs 400 with a 7 channel receiver. I do not need 9 channels or a lot of the features. But, it has 30 model memory and can be changed to any stick mode (I need mode 3) by the end user. And the Hitec 6 channel receiver is not very expensive when it is time to add to the fleet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.