Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Cleaning of fuel tank without taking it off?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Cleaning of fuel tank without taking it off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning of fuel tank without taking it off?

Hello all,

Is there any way one can clean the fuel tank out and check the fuel line if there is any leak in it, or they are sucking in the air without having to take 'em off?

If we clean the tank do we need to drain rubbing alcohol through the fuel line and tank?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

Mody

Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning of fuel tank without taking it off?

I can't think of any way of doing it without opening up the tank. I do have a lot of different types of tanks that have been used. I keep a few bung sets on hand so if I need one I can just clean it out and set it up again. Bung kits are about half the price of a new tank but here a new tank cost about $5.00 so I usually buy a new tank if I have a problem. If your using Dubro or Sullivan tanks then when you do another order from Tower you may want to stock a few in your shop. They come in handy.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 AM
opjose

As far as leaks you can pressurize the tank and watch for a drop in pressure.

Given how our tanks are contructed, you'll see a gradual drop in pressure, but it will not be quick.

The problem is that this does not always reveal small cuts, holes, etc. in fuel lines.

-

As far as cleaning...

I use some sort of filter between my tank and carb.

Periodically I will remove it and flush it out backward with a bit of clean fuel.

But you are best off, pulling the tank every year or so, to check for rust, and unforseen problems.

You would be surprised at what happens over time to the insides of the tank.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Lnewqban

Mody,

I agree with the previous posters.

Consider that, if the tank has seen enough fuel go through, it may be time for replacing every tube, and maybe the stopper.

One way to verify cuts or holes in pick up lines is to connect a pump to it and to connect the jug to the vent of the tank.

Starting with a low level of fuel in the tank, just enough to cover the clunk, pump fuel out of the tank and observe if bubbles are going into the pump.
The vacuum that the pump creates inside the tank should keep the fuel flowing from the jug into the tank, which will keep the low level more or less constant.

No bubbles = Good pick up line
Bubbles = Bad tube

Just an idea.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 AM
armody

Thank y'all for your great inputs,

I'm gonna take the tank off, I know it's gonna be a big pain in the b.....tt but there is no other choice left. I'm gonna check the fuel line, my plane is not a year old, may be 8 to 10 months or close to a year. I hate to move the battery pack and receiver as the plate that goes on top of the battery pack and receiver, I've glued it to the side wall of fuselage so it keeps all of 'em snug and protect it from vibration.

This hobby needs patience and I do have a lots of lots of patience, having an American wife taught me how to have patience, if you've never seen one in your life. I'm gonna update y'all.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 AM
armody

Gray, Lnewqban, opjose Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 AM
opjose

You may want to take the opportunity to see if you can make this task easier for yourself in the future as you do it.

See if you can do anything to make the tank mounts and removal simpler to change and access.

On some planes where the tanks have a plastic loop on the back, I'll put in a pull string.

On others I may tape a wire around the front so I can pull the tank back from the rear.

I'll also make the holding blocks, etc. removable if possible.

Keep this in mind when you put together a new ARF too.

Sometimes the instructions have you gluing a tank in place... ugh... not a good idea!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 AM
armody

opjose,

I never glue my fuel tanks, bad bad bad idea. All I'm worried is about the hassle to pull out the battery pack and the receiver, but I have no choice, the reason why I'm doing it, it's because of the engine, and I'm gonna put a new topic of the engine in a short bit, then you would understand why am I talking about fuel tank, as it seems to be the last resort to look into.