Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RC Car/Truck enthusiast looking to get into flying.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RC Car/Truck enthusiast looking to get into flying.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Skerts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Car/Truck enthusiast looking to get into flying.

Hi, my name is Jamie. I've been into cars and trucking, building and bashing for around 8 years now but I'd like to broaden my horizons and get into RCaircraft. I've been doing a lot of looking around at planes and Ireally like the look of the Great Planes Twist 40. Iknow it's not a beginner plane by any means but I'd rather buy something that Iwill grow into and not grow out of and what Idid read is that the Twist 40 will take-off and land at around the same speed as a learner plane. I'd just like some thoughts on my ideas.. Am Ibeing too ambitious with the Twist as a first plane? What kind of set-up should Igo for, electric or nitro?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Jamie
Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 PM
jester_s1

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RE: RC Car/Truck enthusiast looking to get into flying.

You've already answered your question: it's not a beginner's plane. Plenty can be done with a trainer, especially one of the more aerobatic ones like the Hobbico Avistar (very popular at my club). An Avistar and an instructor at a club (or at least a proper flying field) will give you a good initial experience to build on however you want to. Have a look at the beginner resources in the sticky at the top of the forum. The path to becoming an RC pilot is very well beaten and you can't go wrong doing it the same way it's been done before. Skipping steps generally leads to failure, which then generally leads to quitting.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Drmeff

I was in your shoes about 4 months ago, you will be happy you are getting into planes! For me they are way more fulfilling than cars/trucks/boats because of the amount of skill it takes to do some of the maneuvers that you see. That said, do yourself a favor and buy a trainer plane. You will learn quickly and probably not have much trouble with the whole "when it is coming at you the controls are reversed" thing because of your car/truck experience. There is just a lot more for you to learn though. For example, with a car you are MOVING at 50+ MPH while pretty much any .40 size trainer will do that in a dive (maybe even a straight line... note sure never clocked mine but it goes pretty good!). That twist will be TOUCHY for a beginner even on lower rates, I just don't know if you will have that much fun because you might be on the verge of disaster the whole time. You could try something like an Ultra Stick. That has high wings but is very acrobatic as well. Just make sure you find a club and get hooked up with an instructor. They will point you in the right direction!

Most of all, have FUN and welcome to the most challenging RC item you have tried so far!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Skerts

Thanks for the replies and support so far, Ireally appreciate it, Ijust started looking at the Avistar and I'll definitely look up the Ultra Stick. Inever thought about the Twist 40 as being touchy but thinking back to the videos Iwatched on Youtube, you're right, it does look super agile and precise. I'm glad Icame here and asked the questions as the knowledge so far is pushing me towards more of a learner. Imean, I'd hate to invest $500 into this and be afraid to get out and fly so thanks alot.
Keep the thoughts coming, it's seriously appreciated.

Jamie
Old 08-08-2011, 04:38 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if you can find a local club, and get a flight or two on the club trainer - you will get a lot of feedback from just that exposure, and it will help answer your questions in a "hands on" way. Talking about it, reading about it, that's a whole different story than when you get your hands on it and see for yourself. You won't be out anything if you go there and just see what is available, and how everything is being used. You already have a very good idea of how it all should work, you just are looking at which way to go to begin. Someone there may also have something available to start with that they will sell inexpensively, so you could end up saving hundreds of dollars to begin with there. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Oberst
Banned

Hey there! Welcome to our hobby. Many people have been transitioning fom R/C cars to airplanes at my LHS. Some race in the winter at our indoor racing track, then in the off racing season they switch to helicopters or airplanes. I think you will like flying. I suggest joining a Club so you can gets some training in- and don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't know something. My "Ol-timers" at my Club has saved me a plane or 2, just because I took their advice. Plus the Moderators and the majority here at RCU enjoy helping new people, or anyone who has a question about our hobby, so you've come to the right place.

Have Fun!

Pete
Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

What you are doing is more or less what I did with the timelines changed some. I started out in RC Trucks and had fun for a summer with that and part of a winter and then was immediately bored. I quit the trucks and looked into airplanes when my dad started doing it. I never looked back. He got me up on a trainer for about 8-10 flights and I was on my own after that. Most fun thing I have ever picked up, more so even than being a bachelor in a college town! I started with(and still have in great condition) a SIG LT-25 with an OS LA .46 on it. Easy build, easy engine, long flight times, and plenty of poop to get you out of a bit of trouble. That engine actually flies that trainer fairly hot. The best part is you can increase the throws on the plane some and it can do some nice loops and whatnot. These guys are all right, find a club, get up on a trainer, learn, and have a he!! of a time, you wont look back!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 AM
DeferredDefect

Congrats on joining our hobby!

I have not owned an Avistar but have flown one or two - you will really enjoy it. Although it is very gentle and a great trainer, it will fly aerobatics almost as well as a low wing model, so you won't be bored in a hurry!

If you get this, or any other model, check to see if the engine installed in the trainer can be transferred into a later model after you become skilled enough.

Either way, find the closest club and go check it out - chances are there will be someone to show you around and look at a few models. You may even see an Avistar as it is a popular model.

Have fun and good luck!

Graeme
Old 08-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Skerts

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the support, faith and knowledge. I've figured that my nearest club is about an hour and a half from me which isn't a problem however their website hasnt been updated for about 6 months. I'm going to try and get a hold of one or two of the members though as perhaps they are still going or better yet, they may know an enthusiast in my neck of the woods. Based on the information given so far, I've steered away from the Twist 40 because as a member said, it'll be a little too precise and touchy. Ido like the look of the Ultra Stick that was recommeneded here. Would anyone else second this or should I really be looking more towards the Avistar? I'm definitely going to look for an engine that can be swapped to another plane for sure. As for radio equipment, I want to get a spectrum unit from Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, etc.. Does anyone have any recommendations on this and channel nummbers? I'm currently looking at 6ch setups.
Again, all help and knowledge is appreciated.

Jamie
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Mk23socom

I started with a 6channel and still use it. the pros to this are the low cost to get started(I started with 72), they are fairly easy to navigate to set up, and they keep complications to a minimum. I am into Warbirds and a 6ch radio just dont lend themselves to alot of features that warbirds have so thats a downside. My dad bought a Futaba 9ch and said "this is more radio than I will ever need." two years later, he needs more radio for what he is doing. Keep in mind where you think you may want to go and if the budget allows.. get bigger than you think you want, I don't know anyone that has regretted getting a bigger radio than they may have initially needed. It opens up the doors for other things later! I also personally prefer to see guys build their first trainer from a kit to get familiar with working with the wood and also give the builder an opportunity to beef up certain areas of the airframe to withstand less than perfect landings and deadsticks out into the bushes. My trainer is in great condition because I reinforced areas of concern in regards to bulkheads and the landing gear mounts for both the mains and tail. I also pegged my firewall and it has taken some pretty harsh knocks.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Skerts

Idon't want to build my first plane because summer is nearing an end, Iwant to just get up and get flying and learning and then build something over the winter you know?
I've noticed on my local online hobby store that they have a Hangar 9 Alpha RTF, comes equipt with an Evolution .45 engine and a Spektrum DX5E DSM2 radio. Does anyone want to recommend this? Iread that "thousnads of pilots have earned their wings with the Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer." What do you guys think? Will the Evo .45 engine transfer to something like a Twist 40 in the future? Also whats the general thoughts on this particular Spektrum Radio? I'm a noob but to me, all this for 300CAD seems like a steal for a first plane.. what do you guys think? Should Inab this or go for the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick and add a strong engine and the best radio equiptment that Ican afford?
Another question, whats the minimum temperature that a nitro plane can be flown at? Canadian winters here are regularly around -20'c to -30'c with it peaking at -40'c to -50'c in January and February.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM
jester_s1

I wouldn't buy the Alpha package. The Alpha is a good plane, but that engine is a bit less powerful than what you'll want for a sport model and the DX5 radio doesn't have any computer functions. A much better route is to get the Alpha and a good ball bearing sport engine. The Tunder Tiger .46 Pro is a well established product that puts out about as much power as a .46 can (aside from dedicated racing engines) and it's a good value. The Spektrum 6 channel (DX6i) has all the computer programming and multiple model memory so you can store your settings for multiple planes. However, you asked for opinions on what radio to buy, and at that price level I'll recommend the Airtronics RDS8000. I have one and it's 8 channel with all the functions that a typical 6 channel radio has. You can Ebay the 8 channel receiver that comes with it and buy a 5 channel one for $40, which will have you about $100 invested in your radio setup.
One thing too to consider about the Ultra Stick is that it has flaps, which means you'll need a minimum of 5 channels to fly it. Most buddy boxes are only 4 channels, so if you plan to train you'd better stick to a 4 channel plane to start. A standard Ugly Stick is the same plane with strip ailerons and no flaps, and will be forgiving enough to train with (with an instructor) and a fairly capable sport plane.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Skerts

Noob question: If I don't set-up the Ultra Stick with quad flaps and just use it with 5 servos and regular ailerons and not 7 servos, won't it still be a 4 channel plane?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, still 4 channel.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Skerts

So I'm really leaning towards the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick. It has the shoulder mounted wings, it comes ARF so Ican still pick my own engine and radio. Also, it seems able to perform a few manouvers and with the option to add 2 extra servos, it has room for growth. What do you guys think? Any good for a trainer plane?

Thanks in Advance,
Jamie
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
jester_s1

Sticks are good trainers and outstanding planes in the wind and to get wild with when you're ready, but you're over complicating things if you go with an Ultra Stick. The regular Ugly Stick has the same aerodynamics and will fly fine with only 4 servos. Buy what you want obviously, but understand that you're getting nothing in the Ultra Stick unless you want the flaps to play with.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Mk23socom

ORIGINAL: Skerts

Idon't want to build my first plane because summer is nearing an end, Iwant to just get up and get flying and learning and then build something over the winter you know?

Fair enough, whatever choices you make getting started, good luck and Ihope you have a great time learning and flying!!

Old 08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

My beloved Ultra Stick. I had it set up with an OS55 and had plenty of power. Good for trainer and then when you are ready just increase the throws and is acrobatic.
My vote is get an US
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19768.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	1646206  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Skerts

Looks awesome man. Would you recommend it to a beginner to planes?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

It was my first plane, 11 after her, LOL
Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

It was my first plane, 11 after her, LOL
Very nice plane, remember it will go as fast as the prop you put
on the OS55. a 13x4 will have her slow and powerful when you need it.
An 11x7 or 8 will get you close to 100mph a little down hill and a thrill ride.

Start low pitched until you are ready let her rip. I think you will learn fast but
get an instructor! Planes last longer that way.

You got the real flight sim yet?

cheers Tim

Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Nitro-Tom

Ok, so here is my 2 Cents

First I need to recommend Mike and ken's web site:

http://www.gettingairborne.com/index.html

Lot's of good info there and they are 2 Experts here on RCU.....

Next I suggest a book, the best $25 you will spend learning how to fly.

http://www.rcflightschool.com/Solo_Manual.asp

Next get to your local club, find an instructor, and make sure he can hook up with a trainer cord to your radio. If all the guys local are Futaba guys, not going to help you when you get a Spektrum radio......

Purchase at least a 6 CH computer radio, 2.4 Ghz, I started out with a Spektrum Dx-7 and Still use it today. Saved me money over getting a crappy 4 or 5 CH and having to out grow it later.

Next get a flight simulator, so you can practice the book and lessons learned at home. I recoomend Real Flight 5.5, it will save you in planes. Trust me!

Then I recommend a High wing Trainer ARF. I like the NextStar from Hobbico and the Alpha 40 ARF as well. Get an O/S .46 or O/S 55 motor and some good $25 to $30 digital servos......you can move these and the engine to another plane and sell the trainer airframe once you are done with it....

For sure get help from the local club, so much to learn and saftey is Key.

Hope this helps a bit....and here is my trainer (Nextstar)(Long Gone) and one of my Ugly Sticks....RIP

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87985.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1646231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34255.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1646232  
Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at craigslist there are many good deals on trainer packages with everything you need some even have fuel with it. You can pick one up there with everything you need for $.50 on the dollar. It will be usable and you can learn on it. In many cases what happens people buy a trainer package then something happens and they either do not have the time to fly or need extra cash so it has not been flown or flown very little.

I have seen brand new stuff with everything for under $250.00 If you buy NEW at the LHS it will cost you over $500.00.

Any of the stick style airplanes can be used for a trainer. Get yourself a six channel radio to start unless you buy a package from another person. You will not regret it. A Ball Bearing 45 or 46 will give you a huge amount of options for future aircraft.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

You've already answered your question: it's not a beginner's plane. Plenty can be done with a trainer, especially one of the more aerobatic ones like the Hobbico Avistar (very popular at my club).
Boy is it NOT a trainer...

No way should a twist every be put in a beginner's hands... A Twist will get away from you REALLY fast....

-

That said the Alpha 40 engine is in no way "anemic" or underpowered.

The Alpha 40 comes with an Evolution .455 PTS engine, but with a VERY low pitch prop PURPOSELY...

The prop with the PTS comes with however is so low pitch that the engine will SEEM anemic... however if you swap it out for say an 11x6 APC, the engine comes alive.

The PTS engine produces just about as much power as an OS AX 46 when using the same prop as the AX... it is almost difficult to tell the two apart...

That means the beginner can use the PTS prop to get started, letting the plane be more mild manner as they learn, then later switch to the 11x6 to really change things up.

BTW: I took my PTS engine out of my Alpha ( after my daughter crashed it ) and threw it into a Twist 40...

The plane goes straight up at 50% throttle, using a 13x4w prop and hovers at less than half throttle.

I've also placed the PTS engines into other .40-.50 planes with great performance.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:06 AM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

I learned to fly on a Tiger 40.  It is a low wing, tri-gear, 4-channel old Goldberg plane.  Great planes offers them now.  You can get them as an ARF or kit.  Very easy plane to fly, it is stable and once you have learned the basics, you can do basic maneuvers with it.  I am glad I choose that over the traditional trainer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.