Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

saito 120

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

saito 120

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:16 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saito 120

We were at the field this morning and one of the club members had a saito 120 that he was having problems with. It sounded like it was rich on the low end. Not familiar with saito. Where is the low speed needle located?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:22 AM
GaryHarris

Default RE: saito 120

In the center of the throttle arm.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:25 AM
goirish

WOW!! It looks like the only thing was a socket head screw holding the throttle arm on. I know most of the time the LSN is on the opposite side from the throttle arm. The transition was not good.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 AM
goirish

can anyone take a picture and show me where it is. Guess I am kinda dumb[&o][&o][&o]
Old 09-03-2011, 11:43 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Your friend should have the manual for that engine. The low speed adjustment is a small flat Brass head screw on the throttle linkage arm. It is not! a phillip's or hex head screw. It is located diredtly on the opposite side if the clevis arm, in the center, directly center.
Adjustments are made by rotating the screw counter clockwise for rich and clockwise for lean. Use very small increments, meaning 1'32". Not much is necessary. Then readjust the high end.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:54 PM
opjose

Be aware that the LS needle on the Saitos comes from the factory slobberingly rich.

I couldn't understand why I could not get a low speed idle and why my engine used a lot of fuel.

I read here that you should turn the LS needle in until the engine will not start, then turn it out until it does, then do the fine adjustments.

Well I discovered that my LS needle was 11 full turns OUT from where it should be... yet the engine would still run and start just fine.
Transitions were not great until I got the LS set up.

Once you are close, small increments are a good idea but I don't find the Saito as sensitive as say a Magnum...

Revisit the HS as well after you have the LS right.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gene, your low speed needle is in the center of the throttle arm on the oposite side of the high end needle. Just a brass screw looking at you. If you google Saito Engines you will find horizon and there is a break down for the engine there. Saito really is a fat slobbering engine until broken in and tuned correctly. When new the first few tanks of fuel you may as well not try tuning. Just run a few tanks then tune slowly. Otherwise your just chasing the needles.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:03 PM
GaryHarris

5th tank today.

http://www.youtube.com/user/biffg#p/a/u/0/Z0mN9kG5Ces
Old 09-04-2011, 03:22 AM
goirish

I'm going to look at it again today if he comes out to the field. I am sure that I only seen a socket head screw holding the throttle arm on the carb. Maybe someone did some funny engineering on it. I did send him a copy of the manual. I know that he bought it used on his cub.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a small flat head screw.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM
goirish

Thanks for the picture nathan

The weather was bad today so we didn't get to go to the club. I am planing on going again in the morning. Would it be possible that some one had put a socket head screw in that location to hold on the throttle arm? We had two people looking for the LSN and neither one could find it. I will report back what I found when I look at it again. I sent the picture to the person that owns the engine. Thanks again
Old 09-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gene, look at the throttle arm side, there should be a couple of small hex head screws. I don't have a saito on hand to look but there should be at least one. That is the screw holding the arm on the shaft. The low end screw is just a small brass screw with a slot as I recall. The face of the screw should be flat too. It's just your normal run of the mill every day low end screw.