Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I Must Be A Natural!!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I Must Be A Natural!!

Old 08-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Snyperx
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Must Be A Natural!!

I recently got back into R/C Planes and have now been up flying about a half dozen times. I currently am to the point to where I am taking off and landing comfortably on my own. I have a;lso successfully landed deadstick and with a light crosswind. I have also been able to do some basic aerobatics. I am very pleased with the Hobbico Avistar that I bought for my first plane. I have a Great Planes Super Sportster on the way from Tower for my first tail dragger and low-wing plane. Any have any thoughts on this as a second plane??
Old 08-25-2003, 04:50 PM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

I have an avistar and a super sportster and it is a great second plane. If you fly it around in circles it flys just like the avistar except for a little faster and more aerobatic potential.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:58 PM
red91sit
My Feedback: (2)

Geez u must be a natural, I can't land worth beenz :S i can do up to 3 loops in a row, fly inverted, and roll an underpowered plane with tons of deihdral but i can't land. You sound like u should be able to handle the Super Sportster but be careful of death spirals. Someting most trainers can't do.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Snyperx

red91sit,
Yeah, that is the only thing that is making a bit nervous with the Sportster is that it will not be as self recovering as my Avistar.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:17 PM
red91sit
My Feedback: (2)

just make sure to start with low control throws.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:17 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you start with low controls, be sure you build it STRAIGHT!
Old 08-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Snyperx

I ordered the ARF so hopefully the assembly is "straigt forward" <--get it.....LOL I kill me!! J/K
Old 08-25-2003, 09:29 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will love the Sportster. Awsome plane! Can't say enough good about it.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:05 PM
Live Wire

Your time is coming!!!! Sorry S!@W# happens./
Old 08-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Snyperx

Hey I never said that would never crash. I guy a fly with hasn't crashed in the 20 years he has been flying,....until this year. He crashed 3 giant scales all in this season. I told him to get it out of his system so he can go another 20 years without crashing
Old 08-25-2003, 10:33 PM
Teresa

We have a Great Planes Super Sportster and a Four*fourty for our second planes........too bad neither of us is ready for that yet!!!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Live Wire

I'm am to, if you don't believe it ask me. For get it know one's perfect.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:13 AM
cajunflyer
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

I am in the same boat as you snyperx. I am self taught, it is a great feeling having it this way. i am working on a third ( my first I still don't dare to fly) plane. I am looking for a low wing so I can advance twords my Chippy. As far as aerobatics, I could care less right now. To me it is more fun landing and touch and goes. I have been flying for 2 1/2 weeks now and I have lost count as to how many I have done. Only thing I have not learned is the rutter. I have made some killer cross wind landings, looked like a B 52 comming in . To date I have had one dead stick and that was fun!!! No damage at all, just glad I built the runway really wide . If you can not hit my runway you ought not be flying LOL. Anyway congrats and good luck!!
Old 08-26-2003, 01:04 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

snyperx,
Welcome and congratulations.

You'll really like the Super Sportster. It was my second plane (8 years ago) and I just bought another one because I missed my first.

One thing! If you fly off grass, do NOT install the wheel pants. Even on the softest of landings the pants will put holes in your wings, guaranteed. (Guess how I know. )

This is true of most planes by the way. Wheel pants and grass runways just don't play together very well. Once you get into bigger stuff, 80" wingspans, or 1/4 scale, it seems to be okay though.

The Sportster isn't really a problem as far as tip stalling ("death spirals") goes. In fact, it slows down pretty well for a low, semi-symmetrical, wing. Just take it up high and slow it down while holding up elevator, you'll get use to it's stall characteristics.

Dennis-
Old 08-26-2003, 03:57 PM
gnyberg

Default sportster too timid?

I've been thinking about the Sportster as my second plane as well (running out of things to do with the Avistar) but something a guy at the field said the other day has me worried: He had a Sportster as his second plane and told me it only took about a month to get bored with it. Wife wont let me change planes every month, of course, so now I'm thinking of stretching a little for my second and trying the Venus 40. I'd rather have something I can take up the chain and do pattern with than just another stepping stone plane. Assume that someone "masters" a plane like the Avistar (with a 46FX and 3 oz tail weight, lands pretty fast) what *specific* problems is that person going to have with something like the Venus that he wouldn't have with the Sportster?

Thanks.
-Greg
Old 08-27-2003, 12:52 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've never flown a Venus before, so I can't give you an "expert" opinion but, the Sportster, as long a it's adequately powered is capable of just about any possible manuever. It's not a 3D plane, but I'm sure the Venus isn't either.

An OS 46FX, or similar engine should provide decent vertical performance which may not be enough to allow for vertical figure eights, but should satisfy your needs for quite some time.

With more power, it would be capable of anything, short of 3D. (It doesn't have large enough control surfaces.)

Not sure how that guy at the field could have gotten bored with it, unless his was severely under powered.
Dennis-
Old 08-27-2003, 01:16 AM
impulse

Im building my super sportster right now and almost done. Hope fully will be able to fly this weekend
Old 08-27-2003, 03:15 AM
Jim C.

I am looking for a low wing so I can advance twords my Chippy
Cajun.. take a look at the tt cloud dancer.. very nice plane.. very docile yet will do aerobatics with the right power plant.. http://www.rcmodels.com/airplanes-a...nder-tiger.html
Old 08-27-2003, 05:24 AM
Mike James

Default Use the Force, Luke

The Sportster is an excellent 2nd plane, precisely because it is not a mega-aerobatic, 3D monster plane. Keep in mind what a smart move it was to buy a trainer as your first plane, and how your feelings about RC might be more negative if you had bought something more "frisky" and crashed it right away.

Opionions vary, but my opinion is to stick with something "better and more agile, but still kind of tame" for your 2nd plane, and practice the skills you're looking to improve, like basic aerobatics, sideslips to landing, etc.. The Sportster is a forgiving plane in that regard. Then, you'll be ready for a more pure aerobatic type as your third plane.

If you're interrested in shopping for the future, there is a review here on RCU of the Venus, done by Marc Vigod, our fearless RCU Administrator, at http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...w&reviewid=107

I also did a review of it on my site, at http://homepage.mac.com/mikejames/rc...us40arf01.html

And, in the "Pattern" forum, lots of discussions about it. It's a nice flying plane, especially in the knife-edge/sideslip mode, but not a 3D plane. I've had mine for about a year, and it's a LOT of fun.

Good luck, and happy flying!