Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Why Beginners Do Not Want To Join Clubs

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Why Beginners Do Not Want To Join Clubs

Old 01-26-2012, 07:19 AM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Beginners Do Not Want To Join Clubs

I would like to hear from some of those who do not fly at AMA fields.

As for me, I did not want to look stupid or spend the money. Plus, why drive 25min. when the local School soccer field was less than 10 Min. away.
And the Club rules scared me too.

What about you?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: Why Beginners Do Not Want To Join Clubs

Because it generally costs most people more in crashes than club dues. Though there are a few clubs that are pretty pricey.

As for looking stupid, everyone out there, pro or newb, started somewhere.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 AM
ES CONTROL

Joining saved me $$$$ too.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I found it is more embarrassing to not join a club that can get you flying than to try it on your own.  If you don't know what you are doing, you most likely will crash it, and also risk injuring someone by not flying at an approved field. 

OTOH if you are out in the country like me, and have friends who fly and have their own flying field, then joining a club isn't necessary. You can learn from them.  We have a meet every Tuesday evening, fly when the weather permits and there is enough light, build when we don't.  So far we have done a lot of building, very little flying. 

The last time there was a small window of good weather and enough light I tried to fly my T-34.  It told me in simple terms, Don't Fly!  As soon as the gear got light, the canopy popped off. I chopped throttle and bounced it into the field. I brushed off the dirt, straightened the one landing gear that got a little bent from hitting the dirt, pulled the battery out and said, nope, not gonna try.  

Can't wait until spring! 
Old 01-26-2012, 07:50 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

I think it's stupid not to join a club!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

As for me, I did not want to look stupid or spend the money. Plus, why drive 25min. when the local School soccer field was less than 10 Min. away.

What about you?

It's a good topic for the Parkflyers or AMA Forum. Most glow, gas and large electric pilots do belong to the AMA. What do you find so scary about the rules? They are only there to keep us responsible and to keep us safe. Club rules only enforce these rules on top of any additional rules they vote to impose. If you don't like a rule it us up to us as members to let it be known and why. The club will then discuss the problem with the rest and by the next meeting they would vote on it.

Not every club has the same rules, but they do have the same AMA rules as a basic guideline if they are AMA chartered. There are private clubs that are not AMA chartered out there.

But be forwarned- anyone who is not covered by the AMA and gets in a accident with their model airplane and causes property or physical damage is on there own to pay the bill. And in this sue happy environment, it's good to have coverage.

I like flying my planes and all I need to worry about is having a good flight and having a good time, not worrying if my planes are insured or not. Just to let you know, both my planes weigh over 12lbs. Would you want any of them hitting your car, or loose control and hitting you- putting you in the hospital and have no one to pay for it? Car body repairs and or glass is very expensive not to mention, medical bills and ambulance fees.

Because you have chosen not to join a club, it is my understanding there's no way you could know all the benifits that a club and or AMA has. I'm a part of something bigger than I am and it's worth every penny. If I can't afford to fly, I always know my club and the AMA will be there for me when I can afford it.

Little foamies or parkflyers is a different story. But it is up to the individual to make sure they have their school or parks permission to fly there. AMA has a Parkflyer program and they cover topics like this. AMA is there to protect our hobby and the rules are there to help keep a favorable outlook to anyone who is not in the hobby.

Now if you own your land, you can do what ever you want and most could be under your home ownership coverage, but again that doesn't cover everything.

Pete

Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 AM
ES CONTROL

Oberst        I Love my club at Brunnerville Pa.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 AM
skeeter_ca

People rationalize all kinds of reason to not join a club.

It's too expensive to join a club.
I don't want people to see me crash.
The experienced flyers will laugh at me.
I don't like to ask for help.
The field is two far away.
I don't know where a club field is.
You have to be sponsered to get into the club and i don't know anyone.
My plane is just a toy compared to those real rc planes.
I'm shy.
I don't like to socialize with people.
I just want to fly and not talk.

Any or all of these reason can really keep a person from enjoying the full aspect of the hobby. I believe that unless a person actually joins and participates in a club the chances of him continuing flying is probably very slim. Just going down to the local park and flying by yourself quickly becomes boring and you lose the passion for flying. If you have a friend join you it becomes alot more enjoyable. And little does that person realize with two people flying together that could very well constitute as being a "Club".

So why not really make the leap and enjoy it with alot of other people with the same passion?

skeeter
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: Oberst

What about you?

I like flying my planes and all I need to worry about is having a good flight and having a good time, not worrying if my planes are insured or not. Just to let you know, both my planes weigh over 12lbs. Would you want any of them hitting your car, or loose control and hitting you- putting you in the hospital and have no one to pay for it? Car body repairs and or glass is very expensive not to mention, medical bills and ambulance fees.

Pete

First hand experience here with AMA
I had a plane what was being flown on a buddy box. They lost control and the plane went through a metal roof on a pole barn. It was my plane but I was not flying it. It made about a 6" hole. Imagine if that had been a car windshield. Just my advice, join a club, join AMA and have fun flying.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 AM
ES CONTROL

My friend Has his own runway on his farm Scottland Co. Mo.    1/2 a doz. Guys get together and fly.   No AMA.  But its a very healthy club if u want to call it a club. Several guys go together and buy the same plane , TX , Engine and props.  They all share and help each other.
If they loose a model. They take the real plane up to find it.  

In saying all this, my question is, would it help the new guys to join a small member club?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 AM
ES CONTROL

OK, I Have AMA  AND A CLUB!   Put down the guns. You will scare the non AMA guys .

Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 AM
skeeter_ca

ORIGINAL: skeeter_ca

People rationalize all kinds of reason to not join a club.

It's too expensive to join a club.
I don't want people to see me crash.
The experienced flyers will laugh at me.
I don't like to ask for help.
The field is two far away.
I don't know where a club field is.
You have to be sponsered to get into the club and i don't know anyone.
My plane is just a toy compared to those real rc planes.
I'm shy.
I don't like to socialize with people.
I just want to fly and not talk.

Any or all of these reason can really keep a person from enjoying the full aspect of the hobby. I believe that unless a person actually joins and participates in a club the chances of him continuing flying is probably very slim. Just going down to the local park and flying by yourself quickly becomes boring and you lose the passion for flying. If you have a friend join you it becomes alot more enjoyable. And little does that person realize with two people flying together that could very well constitute as being a ''Club''.

So why not really make the leap and enjoy it with alot of other people with the same passion?

skeeter

Just to add a few comments to what i already wrote.

It's too expensive to join a club. (It's alot cheaper because you don't crash as often.)
I don't want people to see me crash. (It happens but the great thing is you get to see other people crash to.)
The experienced flyers will laugh at me. (No they aren't laughing at you but with you.)
I don't like to ask for help. (Most of the times you don't have to ask they will come right up and offer.)
The field is two far away. (It's alot closer that you think and it's having to drive a little gives you the reason to stay and fly longer.)
I don't know where a club field is. (You can find the closest ones on the AMA field locator search function.)
You have to be sponsered to get into the club and i don't know anyone. (Go to the RC field and people will start talking to you and your in. It really is that easy.)
My plane is just a toy compared to those real rc planes. (There all toys no matter what they say or how much they cost.)
I'm shy. (Get over it. It's well worth the chance you take.)
I don't like to socialize with people. (You don't have to talk. Alot of times i just sit and listen.)
I just want to fly and not talk. (See answer above.)

skeeter

Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when the local School soccer field was less than 10 Min. away.
Have you checked with the school principal for permission to use that property? Most schools nowadays consider it trespassing when anyone sets up to use their property. The cops show up regularly at the elementary school down the block and run off golfers and such.

Did you know the Federal gummit is about to put laws in place to restrict model use (in order to protect us from activities that might threaten the American way of life)? Things like model airplanes can be used by terrorists. Our schools would be especially vulnerable. If you were an AMA member you would have at least read about it. They've been lobbying to keep those new regulations sensible. Think they will be?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

I belong to two clubs and wouldn't have it any other way! i can learn just as much just by going to the field and not flying as I can flying. Wealth of knowledge and experience at the fields. Guys at our fields fly micros, foamies, and on up to and above 100cc aircraft. It's always like going to an airshow everytime I go. I am not a prefect flyer, but closer to being perfect than I would be had I tried to do it on my own. The instructors at the field are without a doubt, worth their weight in gold!!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 AM
jetmech05

A small local non AMA club/place to fly....why in the world would the property owner allow that even if he is one of the flyers....if someone other than the property owner lost a plane...and did some damage to something or someone...the property owner could be held liable...along with the pilot....at least the AMA would protect the property owner insurance wise if it was a sactioned club.....
Flying in a scholl yard.....never thought that was a good idea.....RC airplanes are kid magnets.....you don't want to hit one.....I know a flyer that hit a woman...he was flying an approach....and the woman came up behind him and didn't say anything....stepped up in the runway to see and got it......The AMA helped him out insurance wise.....
This is just for starters.....
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 AM
ES CONTROL

How does a club get started ?    AMA first, or  a few good men who later go to AMA?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM
da Rock

My friend Has his own runway on his farm Scottland Co. Mo. 1/2 a doz. Guys get together and fly. No AMA. But its a very healthy club if u want to call it a club. Several guys go together and buy the same plane , TX , Engine and props. They all share and help each other.
If they loose a model. They take the real plane up to find it.
In saying all this, my question is, would it help the new guys to join a small member club?

Your friend and his friends, do you really think they're a good example of the average modelers around the US? It's almost a fairy tale. Everyone of us wish we had our own runway with a full scale in a hangar beside out house at the end of the strip.

Would it help new guys to join your buddy and his 5 friends? Heck yeah. How much room do they have for parking? Do they have toilet facilities out there? Trash pickup for the field?

Would it help your buddy to have a bunch of people flying on his property?

It would help every one of us if we had enough money to not need liability insurance covering the property owner, could afford to purchase enough property suited for our hobby, and lived where all that was possible. But we don't.

I fly with 3 different clubs. Not a soul in any of them have not benefitted from being a member of those clubs. They've benefitted far more than they would have had they not joined. Two club fields are out in the country. A number of those members are farmers, full or part time, mostly part time with the way the US is going nowadays. They have all benefitted greatly and seem to be members for the advantages they seem to think they get.

This question seems to be motivated by something? Nobody in their right mind would say "no it wouldn't help new guys to join a small member club". It'd help them to join any club.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM
opjose

my question is, would it help the new guys to join a small member club?

While Oberst said it best, yes even a small club has certain advantages.

Because the members have to go through the club application and accreditation process, that club's legal "ducks" will be in a row, so to speak.

AMA liability coverage kicks in, and the club is likely to have a better over-all public face.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 AM
da Rock

How does a club get started ? AMA first, or a few good men who later go to AMA?

I've been in modeling since the 60s. Way on back, most started with a place to fly. Back then there were places to fly everywhere. As this country filled up, that situation has changed. The last 20 years or so, I've helped a number of clubs when they lost their fields and went looking. Right now, I doubt many clubs will exist for very long without finding insurance if they do get started without. AMA happens to be the obvious choice for it.

Are you interested in starting a club? If you already have a buddy with a place to fly, good deal. Use what comes your way. But consider him in the process.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 AM
ES CONTROL

I am not trying to start any thing here.

But the fact is.  New to the hobby people. Are not thinking about AMA. They are wanting to try it alone. 
And my hope is, to paint a better picture, so they want to be a part.
 Also ,I have noticed After a short period of time they go AMA.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM
da Rock

AMA insurance kicks in the moment you knock on that farmer's door, the one with that perfect slope site just off the dirt road. When you tell him about all the guys who would really appreciate having somewhere closer to fly, his eyes really don't brighten up. When you explain how you won't trash the hill, he smiles. He seen people trash his ditches as long as long as his family has owned the place and really isn't swayed very far by that argument.

He mentions how dangerous that slope is. Why? Think about it.

I've been at that door and done that. Got the T-shirt to prove it. When you mention the insurance, they look a touch more interested.

One of the greatest slopes in the world has gliders on it right now because of the AMA insurance and a club that had the manpower to discover it (from the air in a member's plane) and members who got permission.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 AM
da Rock

I am not trying to start any thing here.

But the fact is. New to the hobby people. Are not thinking about AMA. They are wanting to try it alone.
And my hope is, to paint a better picture, so they want to be a part.
Also ,I have noticed After a short period of time they go AMA.

Interesting idea. So you want to reassure people they don't have to join AMA or find a big club so more people will buy those models they see advertised.

Kewl.

You really believe there are a lot of people who stay out of modeling because they're heard they have to join AMA and find a big club somewhere?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 AM
ES CONTROL

daRock    I am not saying that.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Admiral052

I never thought not to join a club because of most of the reasons listed.  I was afraid to hurt someone because of my lack of skills.  I have found that field I joined to be the greatest thing ever.  I am younger then most of the pilots but the advice and guaidence I have gotten has been well worth the money.  Also my field has a paved runway, charger bar, shelter, everything.  I find it nice at the feild and comfortable.  Know how I joined?  I walked up and watched people fly, then started asking questions.  Within two weeks I was in the air learning.  I attend meetings, check out potential projects and sometime I will show up just to watch members fly and tinker.  I would have gotten bored flying by myself and now my wife has to schedule time with me because I am always at the field.  Best thing I ever did.  +1 when I crashed on a landing and the guys showed me how to fix my LT40 and recover it. 

I would do it all again
Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

I flew my first legal AMA club last weekend at a field on the NE side of Dallas.  Regimented, oval flyiing, perimeter restricted, noise restricted, pretty much like participating a senior citizen driver education course.  (I'm both and AMA member and get my senior discounts at IHOP, so my bashing is legal!)  It was fine, but when I compare that to the renegade field 15 minutes away. that is like a circle 8 demolition track with a bunch of hopped up kids out there 7 and 8 at a time.  There just is NO comparison.  Flying renegade is a choice ANY pilot can make.  Flying AMA fields is also a choice.  If you want the adrenalin at its peak, the renegade field will get you there.  If you want to go to a paved field near Dallas, like I have 4 different times, never been greeted, spoken to, welcomed, that in itself would put me at that renegade site in a New York Minute! 
If one enters a bull fighting ring and wants to play with the bulls, that's their choice.  If one wants to go out in the back corral and milk old cows, that's their choice also.  I'm too chicken to put one up with the renegade boys but WOW, do they ever put on a show and you betcha, they smack them all the time.  Why do people go to Nascar races?  Same reason I go to the renegade field.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.