Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Should I Quit

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Should I Quit

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I Quit

Me personally I get some days I'm a expert pilot, then the next day or something comes along knocking me back down to basics. Dont get discouraged, the more you practice the better you will become. Stick with trainers until you can fly it for a while without any incident, then progress with a bottom wing, then middle wing aircraft. I now fly a very difficult warbird because I did it that way. I was no rush to progress.

Out of my 10 years of flying I crashed about 6x's with 5 previous planes I owned and I've owned about 10 aircraft in total. Complete total hours on the transmitter, I have to be honest and type that I lost count- probably a 1,000 or more hrs? [&:]

Crashing is not a matter of if, but when and it's a part of becoming a better pilot. Stick with it and don't give up! If you are tired of crashing and loosing $$$ I suggest getting a flight simulator for your computer and keep practicing on that, then ask a friend or instructor at the field to teather up with you with a "buddy box."

Hope to still see you around at RCU.

Pete
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What planes have you been crashing? The typical trainers during the past 30 years or so are not the right airplanes for everyone, ESPECIALLY if you're not using a buddy box. In fact, most trainers are TOTALLY unsuited for training without one!

Buddy boxes are not exactly a well-guarded secret, so I assume you know about them already. So if you are determined to go it alone, you have to have the right plane.

A Goldberg Gentle Lady glider would be good. A Dynaflite Butterfly built to fly and not to crash, and powered with a .15 would be good. One older beginner at our club built one very heavy because he was so afraid of crashing and it turned out to be a lousy trainer. But they CAN be very good if you don’t over-build.
Someone recommended a Sig Kadet Senior. Good idea. A Seniorita might be even better because it is smaller and lighter, so won’t hit as hard. It’s still not small.
Beyond that, any of the old trainers designed before buddy boxes would be good. As I'm sure you know, everyone used to teach themselves way back, but the planes were designed for that. The Esquire, Livewire Champ, etc. If you can scratch build, the plans are available. There is also a company that makes repro kits. Use the engine sizes they used back then. Nowadays people recommend a big engine to "get out of trouble". Fine, IF you have a buddy box. If you don't, a big engine is way more likely to get you INTO trouble. I taught myself to fly on a Top Flite Schoolmaster with a Cox .049 and it was a blast. Have fun!

Jim
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flyngatorboy

i think maybe a good instructor to stand beside you and give commans before you get in trouble and help if needed. i helped alot of people over thirty years of flying and do not use a buddy box never lost a plane traning. for first time fliers i give them the raido then reach over and fly under there thumb.this shows how little movemont is needed.and when things go bad and can not recover from talking (left or right or pull back )i reach over and help not takeing radio unless i really have to.i have helped people your age after watching being helped by others. take of an landings mostly and all i really did was show how to fly a nice patteren an were power setting should be around the patteren.one was 68 and now 80 still flies.and me at 47 has alot of years.

Nice to know that someone else is using kinesthic instruction. It works extremely well.

Fliers1