Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Installing Lipo in Old SuperCub...Need Advice

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Installing Lipo in Old SuperCub...Need Advice

Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Linknc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Lipo in Old SuperCub...Need Advice

I've got a question for you all... To start with I have one of the older Hobbyzone SuperCubs that came with the 7-cell 8.4 Ni-MH batteries. The plane is in great shape but due to me painting the plane, putting tape on the wings, adding larger tires, beefing up the landing gear....... it has become sorta heavy. It still flies well once in the air but the plane is slow to climb andflys slow,and the flying time is only about 5 minutes. I'm also thinking that the battery isn't in the best shape either. I'm thinking about installing a new 3-cell 11.1Lipo battery in the plane if you guys think that would help. I know I will need to drop to a 9x6 prop andremove the ESC jumper and install new connectors for the battery at the least and probably modify the battery compartment for a longerflying timebattery. My question is will I see more power with the 11.1 Lipo over the 8.4 Ni-MH battery and will it be enough of a change that I will have quicker climbs and faster speeds? Since I would also have to buy a charger/balancer to, I want to make sure this mod will be worth it before I sink too much money into a lipo and charger. Also, I've seen 20c and 30c lipo batteries and haven't a clue to which is best. I will be thankful for any help or advice anyone can give. I know that some will think I should just trash the SuperCub and buy a whole new plane but I really do like this plane and want to continue flying it if at all possible.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Installing Lipo in Old SuperCub...Need Advice

On page 39 of your Super cub owners manual under optional parts is part #PKZ1023 9.6v 1000mah NI-MH upgrade battery. It will give you more power to offset the cubs weight gain. It costs $29.99, will fit in the same battery spot, will charge on the stock charger, and requires no additional changes. Try this before you spend time and money on a lipo conversion.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 AM
Linknc

So you are saying that going the Lipo route isn't really worth the time and money? I figured the 9.4v would just add even more weight. I don't mind spending the extra money for a lipo setup if it would give extra power and longer flying times but i don't want to go that route if it would be a waste of time and money. Would the 9.4v give as much power as the 11.1v lipo?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I've been using 1350mah and 1550 mah zippy rhino lipo's in two of my old brushed Super Cubs for over a year now. I use both of them for teaching kids to fly and I have well over 100 flights on one of them. I won't be buying any more Ni-mh packs. I'm still using the stock 27mhz on one of them, I just have to be carefull not to run the lipo packs completely dead. When the last of my Ni-mh packs give out, I'll probably convert that plane to 72mhz also. Go with the lipo's. The 1350 mah fits in the battery compartment with no modification other than changing the connector. The 1550 mah required cutting a little piece out of the back of the battery box to be able to stuff it in, but it gives 15min flights and climbs straight up. I'm also still using the stock prop, motor, and gear box.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 AM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

DELETED POST. Lipo cut off won't work with the supercub.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:03 PM
gofast53

Change to Lipo well worth it, completely different plane when you do as more power and longer flight times. Reciever should have a plastic link that you remove when using lipos which switches on a lipo cutoff function. I have a 4yr old cub which I get out on windy days for a bit of fun, as with the lipo has plenty of power for battling through the wind. Some have even gone as far as changing the brushed motor out for a brushless but no point as becomes overpowered. Does not cost much these days for a cheap lipo and charger!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Linknc

UPDATE!!!!!!

Well I finally did the Lipo Upgrade on my SuperCub.. I ended up going with a 11.1V 3-cell 2200mah battery. I made 3 flights yesterday and could not believe the power difference.. She will climb and loop with the best of them.It's almost like I have a whole different plane. The only problem I have now is that the airplane flys like the tail is heavy and I can't get the plane to fly level unless I keep the elevator toggle pushed up with my thumb during the whole flight. It islike I have to fightthe planeduring the whole flight just to keep it from going into a major climb. I've tried trimming it out but there was not enough trim there to do that. It did help some but not near enough.I changed the rod cliplast nightto give me more uptrim and Ihope that willhelp. Only thing is thatgiving it more Up trim means I have less Down trim.Any other ideass??? Should I try to add weightsto the frontor is this normal with the Lipo upgrade??
Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 AM
ATVAlliance

You should find out what the CG is and balance accordingly.

I dont know the plane in question...but someone already stated that a 1350 zippy (3cell) would fit the original battery compartment.  A 2200 is going to be double that size/weight.  So I would say you are definitely tail heavy IF the battery compartment is on the CG.  I dont know if I would add more weight or not.  Wont hurt to try but that is going to be a lot of weight.

Probably best thing to do is go with a smaller battery like a 1350 or somewhere around that.  I fly my mini ultra stick with a 2200 and 450 BL motor and I had to push the battery pretty far back in the fuse to get CG right.  I cant imagine you could remove enough material from your cub fuse to get it to balance without adding weight or sacrificing fuse strength.

Go with a smaller mah battery, like the 1350 or 1550 someone posted about above.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

ATVAlliance is correct. I should have mentioned that I also have tried 1800 and 2200 mah packs and had the same result as you. One thing you can do is cut the top out of the front portion of the battery box and slip the battery in vertically. The problem with doing this is you have to shift the reciever aft and the slip the battery past the motor leads. When you do this, the motor leads are not long enough, so you will have to add extensions. Best choice is to go with a 1500 mah or something closer to the size of the battery box, it will give you better performance overall and wont stress the airframe from being too heavy.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Linknc

Sorry I haven't checked back in a few days but I want to let everyone know that I have been having a ball with my new 11.1V 2200mah battery powered SuperCub.. As I posted in an earlier post, the tail seemed heavy soI ended up adding a small amount of weight to the cowl of the plane to balance it out and now she flys like a dream. I imagine I have put several hours and many flights on her in the past couple days. Power and speed compared to the old NiMh Battery....there is no comparison and the flying time is unreal. I wish I would have done this a long time ago. I've noticed she takes the wind a lot better but I guess thats due to the extra weight. So far, the only downside that I have found is that the plane comes in for landings a little faster than when she was lighter. I am still using the original larger prop too in case anyone wants to know without any ESC or Receiver problems..