Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie [What plane?]

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie [What plane?]

Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Olsonknight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie [What plane?]

Hi - As the title says i'm just starting out! last summer i was at the AMAclub with my grandpa and i buddyboxed a piper cub (of some sort). Iwanted to know what a good sturdy, yet novice plane would be to get. Should i get a gas plane or electric?as i'm new to the scene and i really want to get started i need a plane to start on!Thanks!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Newbie [What plane?]

There are a few questions that you would have to answer for yourself before you can take any advice really.

1. Do you have the time/patience/care to build from a kit?
   If yes, look at the SIG line of trainer craft. I kit built an LT-25 and put a .46 OS LA Glow engine on it. NOTE Glow, not GAS as in Gasoline, which is an entirely different beast to tame. They also offer the LT-40 as well and I believe they can be purchased as an ARF if I am not mistaken. There are several different trainers available in ARF and kit form that MANY guys have stood behind and all sound like they are winners!

2. Do you have a club nearby? If you are unsure, there are ways of finding this out. Many, including myself, would recommend finding a club and getting to know some of the membership and get advice from them about what they are doing. By doing so, they can help you work on and set up your stuff and eventually get you up on a buddy box!

Those are two questions I will pose, others may chime in and render my advice sound and other will add to it! Welcome to the drug that is RC Aeromodeling. I got bit 4 years ago..
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM
jester_s1

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum with the title "trainers- what's available." That will tell you everything you could possibly want to know. Option 2 is I could just tell you what to get and you'll do fine with it.

Hobbico Avistar plane- good in wind, slow when you need it to be, very forgiving. It's an ARF, which means you'll spend less money than you would on a kit and not have to spend the next 3 months building it.
Thunder Tigre .46 PRO engine- Good power, reliable, easy to break in and tune, and inexpensive
4 Hitec HS-425 servos- durable and inexpensive
A transmitter and receiver- Take your pick between Spektrum DX6i, Hitec Optic 6, Futaba 6XAS, or Airtronics RDS8000. Each have slightly different features but all are quality makes and fairly close to each other in price. For training and sport flying up to learning aerobatics, it will not matter the tiniest bit which one you choose.
A quality NiCd receiver battery 700-1100 mah or so. www.hangtimes.com has the best prices on the top quality batteries.
Field equipment: Electric starter, 12v battery and charger for it (I like using a NiCd pack but a sealed lead acid will do fine), glow driver with charger, hand crank fuel pump, glow plug wrench, and fuel. An assortment of hand tools for the various fasteners on your plane is also a good idea, along with spare screws and such. You'll also need something to put it all in. Some buy a purpose built field box, while others use a tackle box or tool box.

Now sure, 40 different people will show up and have 40 little tweaks they want to do to this list, but the fact is if you buy this list of stuff you will have a reliably performing set of equipment and will have no trouble getting started in the hobby with it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum with the title "trainers- what's available." That will tell you everything you could possibly want to know. Option 2 is I could just tell you what to get and you'll do fine with it.

Hobbico Avistar plane- good in wind, slow when you need it to be, very forgiving. It's an ARF, which means you'll spend less money than you would on a kit and not have to spend the next 3 months building it.
Thunder Tigre .46 PRO engine- Good power, reliable, easy to break in and tune, and inexpensive
4 Hitec HS-425 servos- durable and inexpensive
A transmitter and receiver- Take your pick between Spektrum DX6i, Hitec Optic 6, Futaba 6XAS, or Airtronics RDS8000. Each have slightly different features but all are quality makes and fairly close to each other in price. For training and sport flying up to learning aerobatics, it will not matter the tiniest bit which one you choose.
A quality NiCd receiver battery 700-1100 mah or so. www.hangtimes.com has the best prices on the top quality batteries.
Field equipment: Electric starter, 12v battery and charger for it (I like using a NiCd pack but a sealed lead acid will do fine), glow driver with charger, hand crank fuel pump, glow plug wrench, and fuel. An assortment of hand tools for the various fasteners on your plane is also a good idea, along with spare screws and such. You'll also need something to put it all in. Some buy a purpose built field box, while others use a tackle box or tool box.

Now sure, 40 different people will show up and have 40 little tweaks they want to do to this list, but the fact is if you buy this list of stuff you will have a reliably performing set of equipment and will have no trouble getting started in the hobby with it.
yep!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM
mmedeiros2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8n2chNcbmM
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Start with a 40 size ARF. After you have put in all the time building your "Pride and Joy" you will be reluctant to do many of the things you need to learn because you will be afraid of damaging your "Pride and Joy".

I strongly suggest starting with a 46 engine. There are many good ones available depending on your finances - OS, Super Tiger, Evolution. Those 3 are easy to break in, usually quite reliable and long lasting.

As for a radio, I suggest a 6 channel (or more if the budget allows) COMPUTER radio (you will grow into it very quickly and you will not have to buy another radio for quite a long while). There are many very good radios - Futaba, JR, Airtronics, etc.

Once you have learned how to fly a glow plane, MOST electrics should be a piece of cake if you want to go that route.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, Find a club an they will provide an instructor. That way you will learn the correct way to fly and, most likely, the instructor will save your plane multiple times while you are learning.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
jester_s1

Campy just pretty much said the same thing I did without specific product recommendations. Seriously, you can't go wrong with the above setup. You can go a little cheaper with knockoff servos and a lower end engine, but the aggravation really isn't worth it.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Click the link in my signature for lots of good info for beginners.

Also, there is a good club right in Elk River that you should check out.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM
DenverJayhawk

many will probably disagree with me. But when i got back in to the hobby, I started with a nexstar and then moved to a big stik. The stik was 10 times easier to fly than the nexstar. If i were to do it over, i would have saved the 300-400 dollars on the trainer and just went straight in to the big stik. Keep the rates turned low and buddy box with your instructor and you will fall in love with the Big Stik.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
jester_s1

Big sticks are very easy to fly, probably the easiest of all. They aren't self righting though, so beginners are a little more able to get themselves into tight spots than with a classic trainer. I think the Avistar bridges the gap between the two fairly well.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM
bikerbc

Check out MinnFlyers advice..It is top notch help for beginers...DenverJayhawk I can understand your experience with the NextStar..It is a fairly good plane but it is no where near the trainer that the Sig LT 40 is or maybe one of the Kadets..The NextStar can be a handfull in a cross wind because of the dihedral...Thats okay but just not rite at the start...The Nextstar has a few add ons to help make it more manageable at the begining but there is mixed opinions on them..I did not care for them myself..I bought a NexStar to help me get back into the hobby afer a few yrs off..The LT 40 was not available at the time...I enjoyed flying the Nexstar but was very happy to move on to a Tiger 2..
Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 PM
DeferredDefect

Hello!

I would highly recommend the Sig Kadet Senior. The LT-40 and Seniorita are both excellent, but bigger aircraft are far more forgiving and easier to orient in the air, giving the Senior a big advantage. It will take anything from a strong 40 to a 90 sized fourstroke.  I used an OS FS70 in mine when I first started flying, and absolutely loved the plane. You can chop the throttle down to idle and just float around forever. Landings are extremely easy as well. 

They have an ARF model available with ailerons, or the kit which is rudder and elevator, but you could modify it for ailerons quite easily. If you are looking for the easiest flying model for glow, the rudder and elevator version is the best model I can think of. If I'm honest, the aileron version isn't all that different in the air in terms of difficulty, but allows for some more advanced aileron aerobatics. 

A good setup for any trainer would have some room for improvement, so if you are not interested in building the model from a kit, the aileron equipped Kadet Senior might be a more interesting model for a longer period of time. I would look into getting a 46 sized twostroke engine as a minimum, but if possible, a 60 works great on a Senior as well as future models like a low wing sport model such as the TIger 60. 

Good luck and happy flying,

Graeme
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

I have to agree with GraemmEllis. the Kadet Senior is one of if not the best high wing trainers ever. the ARF is pricey at $299, but
It is a great plane to fly and train on with a .46, and does pretty good aerbatics when you are ready. the nicest thing is that it is
huge and easy to see, but still uses standard gear.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 PM
jester_s1

No argument here that the Kadet Senior is a good plane, but at $300 no way. Nearly every company makes a trainer that's right around $100, and they all work for what they were made for. But out of that group, the instructors at our club (I started instructing a couple of years ago but haven't had a student in over a year) have found that the Avistar is the best of all. So much so, that I have gone to training night and seen 5-6 of them spread out around the pit area! They have just the right compromises to be a good trainer- some self righting, but not so much that they are bad in wind, just the right weight, very gentle stalls, will fly slowly enough but they don't balloon like other trainers will in the wind, tough enough, cheap enough, and they look cool enough! Our local IMAC showoff has one set up with the CG back and higher than stock throws and he flies rolling circles and loves to skim the runway inverted about a foot off the ground with it. So the Avistar is a plane that can grow with you too with some very small changes.