Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Just got my first plane and need some help

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Just got my first plane and need some help

Old 03-31-2012, 06:43 AM
rcfunguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first plane and need some help

Hello I'm new to rc planes. got my first plane the other day its a dynam hawk sky rtf with the 2.4ghz . few things i wanted to ask is the quick connectors as there called in manuel dont spin on the horns so when i use the rudder or tail flaps the rods from the servos bend is there any that i can buy that will still spin when tight? also can this plane fly with just the rudder and tail flaps? so it stays flat tell i learn to fly better.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Just got my first plane and need some help

Sounds like you have the rods installed incorrectly OR the holes in the control horns are too small and are binding the control rod. Did you follow the instructions when you assembled the glider? A visit to the local radio control hobby shop might save you from something expesnsive and disappointment. Also you might want to look to your local R/C club to get some help there. This link here will help you find a club near your location: http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Cheers,
Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 AM
rcfunguy

yes everything is correct but if i tighten the nut up the quick connect wont turn if i leave i the nut just a little lose so it will turn the nut will come really lose almost falling off point in just a few min of flight
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 AM
levram1

How about pictures? Nothing's any good without pics!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes... pics please.. i'm not aware of any RTF's with nuts to hold pushrod clevies, etc to horns.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 PM
rcfunguy

Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 PM
rcfunguy

that is what came with the plane when tight they don't so the rod bends. i have try to leave them just a hair lose so then move a little and the nuts almost fell off after about 3 min of flight
Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM
rcfunguy

I'm new to planes and thanks for the help but they should turn right? kinda like the ones they use for throttle brake setup on a nitro cars or trucks
Old 03-31-2012, 05:55 PM
tschuy

I can see by the type of rod connectors that were supplied with the kit and trying to keep them snug and secure to the control horns, binding will occur. Did some small washers come with the hardware as well? Might want to put them between the nut and the surface of the control horn. Also some red Locktite is in order here to help secure the nut to the brass connector so it will lock the nut in lace and not require a significant amount of pressure to hold the nut in place...
Old 03-31-2012, 06:06 PM
rcfunguy

no washers came with the kit but i had some on hand put one on each side off the horn still no good was looking around online and seen there were some that used a clip to keep them on the horn but not sure witch ones i would need. my friend that drives trucks with me said i should try to run ball end caps but were not sure how to connect them to the rod.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 PM
rcfunguy

one more thing I have been looking for a usb cable for my radio its the 2.4ghz 4 ch model so i can use it with clearview found a few online but they claim they wont work with the 2.4 ghz model radio's even though the cable is a dynam cable any help with this is would be great.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:19 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have several issues of concern....as stated above, go to the club field...take your equipment and manuals with you....ask for help....it is free help at most fields....modelers like to help others get into the hobby...The local hobby shop is a good idea too....don't be afraid to ask for help...
Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Make sure these can turn freely. Some come with 2 nuts and some with a little plastic cap to secure the nut on the servo arm.
If you can't get either, try loctite.
But as mentioned before - go to your local RC club and those guys will be happy to help you out
Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Those are no good!!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the hobby , you will truly enjoy it , and yes go to your local club field they will be glad to help you , also join AMA have fun and again welcome
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92298.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1745380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73011.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1745381  
Old 04-01-2012, 06:32 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Just looked at the manual online - very lacking in information. One big point at the beginning, though, is if you are new to building (and you are) seek help. I guess you could say were are that help.

I suggest you get someblue Locktite. Put some on the threads and let it dry. Then put on the nuts and leave them just loose enough so the post turns freely. Do, however, tighten the outside screw.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Bashfulbob

Hi I have the Spitfire by Dynam and the control rods attach to the control horns with the same equipment and the same manner that you have. What I did was to install clevis in the control horn with the nuts loose. I then put the control rods through and tightened the screw to the control rods and tightened the nuts up. i then checked to make sure the rudder and elevator stab were centered with the servos and radio controls. I then loosened up the clevis control horn nuts up a tad and applied lock tight blue and retightened the nuts up.

The Dynam TX I got with the plane has places to hook up a buddy cord, BUT no toggle switch to use for a buddy system.

Hope that helps

Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 AM
rcfunguy

yeah thanks for all your guys help. I'm looking for a cable so i can use a simulator. not sure of any clubs around me that i could bring my plane to. there isnt any close hobby shops around so i do most online. i think I'm just going to order a few sizes of dubro ball link ends and go from there I dont really want to keep messing a junk part
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcfunguy

not sure of any clubs around me that i could bring my plane to.

Failure to seek hands on mentorship that is always out there is the number one reason many folks fail to realize the dream.

http://spmrc.com/icyphoenix20100514/

John
Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Bashfulbob

Go Horizon hobby, scroll to bottom and use the field locatorto find a field nearest you. Hope the link works

http://www.horizonhobby.com/content/...-field-locator

Old 04-01-2012, 09:19 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to AMA website or horizion Hobby find a club , you will enjoy the fellowship and information you rececive from a club enviroment , all kinds of help will be aviable there for you , and you will enjoy the hobby and not destroy a lot of planes trying to learn to fly, and remember to join AMA enjoy
Old 04-01-2012, 09:33 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most if not all the hardware included with Chineese ARFs are junk. Go to the Dubro website for hardware selection. Find what you require than go to EBay and find a dealer that sells Dubro products. You don't need to join AMA or find a local club to purchase after market harware.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:04 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AMA is primarily insurance..to protect you and the injured party in case of a mishap with your plane.....has nothing to do with purchasing any products from anybody unless you choose to use their advertized products.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 PM
rcfunguy

thanks guys i ordered new quick connects should be here in a few days. anybody use the dynam simulator controller? wanting to know if i get the 6 ch one will it also do 4 ch on clearview for me just thinking ahead might need a 6 ch down the road.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am in the St. Paul area and would be glad to help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.