Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do you get a new engine broke in?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How do you get a new engine broke in?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Admiral052

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get a new engine broke in?

I am building a new plane and I have a new O.S. 2 stroke for it. How do you break this in? Am I supposed to mount it to a bench and run a full gallon of fuel thru it on the bench? I looked at the instructions but I know this forum knows how to do it proper and better. Any help or advice no matter how basic is needed.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How do you get a new engine broke in?

First of all, the manual is correct on how to break it in. Follow that.

The OS 2 stroke engines, you did not say what one you have, but the AX's are easy to work with. No matter what you do, just run it rich for a while. As a matter of fact, run it on the rich side all the time.. this will no doubt give it longevity.

I've broken engines in mounted on the plane on the bench. A couple of tanks of fuel run through it, runninig it by alternating it very rich and at full throttle then leaned out for a few seconds, then back to rich will work.

I do it this way: turn the high speed needle in all the way, then back it out 2 1/2 turns and start it up. Give it a minute to warm up then run it up to full throttle and turn the HS needle out more until the engine begins to sound like a four stroke and a creats a lot of smoke. It will also spit out a lot of unburned fuel and oil, which is good.

Run it this way for about minute, then lean it out until the four-stroke sound goes away and the RPM increases quite a bit, and run it this way for about 10 to 15 seconds, then go back to blubbery rich for another minute. Run it this way for a couple of tanks of fuel then re-fuel and fly.

CGr.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do like Dick said, but after one tank (providing the engine is running well) I just start flying it - leave it rich for the first three or four flights, then you should be good to go.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

A word of advice. The tapered bore type engines don't need to be run excessively rich to break in. Your OS is probably that type. They need to be run just a few clicks rich to get up to temperature. This allows the cylinder bore to become parallel with the piston sides so it will wear in correctly. A tapered bore engine will turn freely except at TDC when it is cold. You should feel it almost stick at the top when slowly turned over cold. That is why hobby shops don't like people idly turning over their new engines. You never know how much oil is in the cylinder from the factory, and the sleeve could be damaged from being turned over dry. My advice is to run it slightly rich and fly it at various speeds for a few tanks. My philosophy is that engines continue to break in til they wear out. We are just delaying the wearing out part.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I break them in more like Minn. You can't go wrong following the instructions though. Other then one brand of two strokes I have never been big on break in. About 8 or 10 years ago people started getting really involved in breaking in? I do break in four strokes on the bench though. Two strokes I just get them running smoothly then fly the plane. I do a lot of vertical stunts like loops and stall turns with a new engine. Going vertical heats them up and going into a down line at idle cools them off. If you get a ringed two stroke then breaking in is a very good idea.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Admiral052

Sorry, the engine I have is O.S. .46 AXABL for a GP .40 Stik. I have yet to build the plane but I want to get started on it and I read the instruction on break in that came with it and I was wondering how you guys set it up and did it, kinda little tricks ETC. Thanks for the advice on this.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Just follow the instructions. Modern engines are made to pretty tight tollerences and dumping raw fuel through contributes nothing to the break in. To properly break in, it should be slightly rich for a few tanks but lean enough to get up to temperature or it will never break in.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 AM
kenh3497

I just broke in a Tigre 61 (ringed) on the plane. It took about a tank and a half to get a fairly reliable idle. Flew the engine after that. After 4 tanks I fly it like I stole it

Ken