Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Better Second Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Better Second Plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 07:40 AM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Better Second Plane

I owned probably 15 or so planes over the years: trainers, Cubs, HLG's, electric 2-meters, Quikee .40's, you name it. I would anything that was a good deal, build it and fly it..... But in the 'hangar' I always had a trainer. No matter what I brought to the field, the trainer (Balsa USA Stik .40 Plus) would come with me, charged and ready to fly. The controls were hotted up as far as the hinges would allow, it was ugly (probably 3-4 coats of paint over the years and multiple wing coverings), but also stone reliable, and I didn't have much of an emotional investment in it..... Don't cast aside your trainers. After you can fly everything else, the trainers are still WAY fun, and with hot control throws, will do anything you ask of 'em...maybe not as 'prettily' as a pattern plane or something, but they're also the plane you can throw around without worrying too much about the consequences. Come to Farmington, CT, and watch our resident 'old guy' do square outside loops with his LT40 with knife-edge turnarounds
Old 09-29-2003, 08:18 PM
AirIck

goldber tiger 2 was my second. still fun to fly
Old 10-29-2003, 12:53 PM
roroman

I just ordered a tiger 60 for my second plane. any pointers on how to get started on.??
Old 10-29-2003, 02:05 PM
wheelpant

WHAT ABOUT THE SKYSHARK FANTASY? ANY REVIEWS GOOD OR BAD WELCOME
Old 10-29-2003, 02:23 PM
RVman

What do all you guys here think about the Great planes RV-4. That was my second plane. It flies great and has no bad characteristics. Also its ground handling is very good for a taildragger.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:40 PM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

I'd like to chime in on this one.

Me, personally, my first glow plane was a 4*60 with a TT91FS(been flying electric for 3+ years). I like planes with big wings and they must land nice and slow. I'm really happy with my choice and can't talk enough about it. I can also vouch for a Sig Somethin' Extra. I would bet that plane lands just as slow if not slower than my 4*60. A buddy I fly with has one and he can tear holes in the sky and do every aerobatic move in the book, then land it at a snails pace. For me, anyone can just about fly a plane, landing is the tricky part and having a plane that is able to float in and land nice and slow makes a great second plane.

In all, you can't go wrong with any of the planes posted above. Look them all over and decide which one looks best to you.

Good luck,
Old 10-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Thunderhead

I learned on an LT40 ARF, and that was a nice flier. Once I was used to it and wanted somthin else I went to a Vmar Vstick. WOW I thought that thing was as wild as they came. I thought I was king of the airfield. Well a flame out on take off ended that plane. So off to the LHS I went and came home with the Sig SE. Oh how I thought that the stick was wild.......Yes this plane will ABSOLUTLEY burn holes in the sky. Now I would have not been as comfortable with if I would have never flown the stick. So as far as a 2nd plane I wouldnt recommed it, HOWEVER........It does come in at a crawl if set up mild (i.e forward cg and LOW rates) I guess what Im sayin is its all up to you and your individual skills. The old fogeys at my field say I picked up quicker than most and that Im ready for the Giles 202 I just put together (Hopefully Saturday when I maiden I dont prove tham wrong
) Again I could have probably went to the SE as my 2nd and had sucess, but for how long.......not sure. Ive never seen a plane with a roll rate like that of the SE on high rates at my local field and most are Extras, 202's and so on. than again they are gassers too
Old 10-29-2003, 03:50 PM
wheelpant

CHECK OUT THIS LINK www.skysharkrc.com and give me some feedback on the fantasy. does anyone own one?
Have a good day,
Richard
Old 10-30-2003, 12:13 PM
goneflyn

There is very little I can add to the advice above about the best second airplane. What your "ultimate" plane is going to be, will have a big impact on which one you should get for a second plane. If you are looking for wild 3D go for a straight wing (Something extra, stik). If you are looking for a scale, or semi-scale warbird, then you can go with one that has some dihedral (fourstar and the like)--unless by scale you look at the Extra 300, Edge 540, etc, then get a straight wing. Unless you are a VERY disciplined pilot, that takes things one step at a time, and never goes beyond your "envolope" take the advice of getting an intermediate airplane before "stepping up" to something else. If you are NOT a disciplined flyer, choose something you think looks really good and that you really like so you will be more likely to repair it. :-).

The advice about keeping that trainer is also good. I had three different planes but always flew my trainer for the first--and many times, the last--flight of the day. When I crashed my other planes, I still had my good ole trainer, with the contols maxed out. The trainer can also be quite a challenge on those windy days, but don't forget to put on extra rubber bands (disregard that if you have already converted it to a bolt on wing). I never did get around to converting it to a tail dragger though. I did increase the size of the elevator, rudder, and ailerons. It just seemed like the thing to do during some of the later repair sessions. I hardly ever get the shakes flying it because I know that even if I "lawn dart" it (which I have done) I can fix it and be flying again next weekend. I am not at all afraid to fly it in strong winds, while my others sit in the car. If you learn to do everything (and I mean everything) with a trainer, then there is little need to have an intermediate airplane. The reason they are recommended is because so many people want to do it all now, that they don't expire the possibilities and capabilities of one plane, before moving onto another, and that put the people ( and their planes) they fly with in danger.

As many others have said, the most important thing is landing! Practice that a LOT, get it down pat! If you can land well, stay two mistakes high, and don't continue shaking after a big mistake, you can fly most anything. And, if it is all balsa and ply, it can be fixed after even the worst crash--just stay away from the pits and inside the alotted flying area, so you don't hurt anyone. Don't give up on your trainer too soon, they may be capable of a LOT more than you might think. Some of the moves (i.e., knife edge) are more difficult, but they are possible. If you can do it with a trainer, the others will be a piece of cake. Get the plane that you will be the most happy with. If you put the safety of yourself and others first, the people you fly with will like you even better. :-)