Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

1st U.S. RC Flight School

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

1st U.S. RC Flight School

Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM
helisrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st U.S. RC Flight School

Hey guys,

I don't know if this question really belongs here but I am going to ask it anyway. I am thinking about doing the 1st U.S. Flight School based in Shawano, WI. I am wondering if anyone has done this flight school, and if they give you a free plane at the end of it or anything like that. The cost is 650.00 for a week of flying. I didn't think that was bad, especially if you get some free stuff. Any thoughts of your experience at this flight school or any other one would be very helpful! Was it helpful/worth the money? etc.

Thanks,

Travis
Old 06-23-2012, 04:35 PM
GaryHarris

Default RE: 1st U.S. RC Flight School

ORIGINAL: helisrock

Hey guys,

I don't know if this question really belongs here but I am going to ask it anyway. I am thinking about doing the 1st U.S. Flight School based in Shawano, WI. I am wondering if anyone has done this flight school, and if they give you a free plane at the end of it or anything like that. The cost is 650.00 for a week of flying. I didn't think that was bad, especially if you get some free stuff. Any thoughts of your experience at this flight school or any other one would be very helpful! Was it helpful/worth the money? etc.

Thanks,

Travis
Never heard of them and I may be ill informed and jumping the gun, $650 for a week? And your supposed to be able to fly?

As I said, I never heard of them and they can be legit, but I won't be signing up.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:38 PM
GaryHarris

Ok, I just googled them, and this is legit, but it's not for beginners. This is for advanced pilots.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:48 PM
jetmech05

When I lived in VA. We had a guy that went to a school...I don't know which one...when he retrurned he could take off, fly the pattern and land. This school was high dollar he did not return with an airplane...
Now think about this a minute....650 a week and a free plane 100 bucks? now your at 550 how much fuel in a week? the profit margin is going down....
Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

http://www.rcflightschool.us/

This is the only one I ever heard of and is still around.

CGr.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:14 PM
jester_s1

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I've heard of it, but haven't known anyone who's done it. That's not a bad value at all though if you want to get started in the hobby fast without having to own a plane first. With meals and lodging it'll come to about $1000 for the 5 days. With them providing all the equipment they are taking on the risk and doing all the maintenance. And if you want, you can let your first model be a sport plane instead of a trainer which saves back some of your money.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:13 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheaper than a lot of other vacations...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: helisrock

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Travis
I think I read an article somewhere about this school and it was very positive....just don't remember though. I do think they teach you two finger on the stick flying style so if you are a thumb flyer that may be a challenge to overcome. You can buy their manuals direct and they are fairly well laid out. I almost bought one just because it had some really good information in it. They are around 25 dollars a manual.

650 is cheap if they give you a full week of solid training (which I don't believe is the case because no way they could be profitable that way). If it is just a week of flying with limited instruction I would have to wonder how much is training time? In the IT world it cost a couple grand for a day or two again depending on the training class. It all depends on what the individual can get out of that type of training.

Here is their summary statement which is well put: "Our study can be summed up in two statements: Proficient pilots don't merely get better at their corrections. Proficient pilots know how to fly so altogether fewer corrections are needed (therefore freeing up more time to think ahead to other things). And, it is not how many hours one flies that determines success, but how he or she spends their time. A.K.A., practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect."

Old 06-24-2012, 03:29 AM
bogbeagle

Interesting idea. They are right, in that "directed practice" is much more effective; usually known as "coaching".

You aren't going to be flying giant-scale solo, for that sort of money... they intimate as much, on their website. Buddy-box is the norm. Nothing wrong with that, though.

In my experience, the quality of training is immensely variable. There are a lot of "instructors" out there, who are just liabilities ... I usually call 'em "Passion Fingers", 'cos everything they touch, they f...!

If this Florida outfit has truly competent instructors, then $650 dollars sounds like a fair price to pay. But, how do you find out?

My advice would be that you do not pay up-front, but that you pay on a day-by-day basis. That way, you can withdraw from the course, without suffering too much loss. If that method of payment is not acceptable to them ... well, that tells you something, right there.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 AM
KW_Counter

Travis,

He has been written up in a couple of the major magazines.
In addition, he is a full scale stunt pilot.
The price sounds good depending on how many hours of flight time you get.
Don't expect any free stuff.

Tell us how it goes.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
helisrock

Ok. thanks for the advice everyone.  I think I will hold off and try to save some money by joining my local club first.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 AM
SeamusG

I have 3 of their flight training manuals - Sport Aerobatics (1), Precision Aerobatics (2) & Advanced Aerobatic Flight Training (3) - each builds on skills and techniques developed in previous manual. The method of instruction seems pretty sound. I instruct in an automotive road racing school and find the approach very effective.

If you just want to get the plane in the air and row the sticks - this school is not for you. If you want to cement the basics and progress quickly thru the skills necessary to fly "competition quality" maneuvers - this school may well be for you.

Free stuff? Really?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Iherling

I attended 1st US RC Flight School, and if you read the tons of testimonials on the web site I will promise you that everyone is accurate..  It is going to be the best training experience you will receive as a beginner.  There is a 1 year waiting list for the 5 days to solo course and that is for a good reason.  Do not confuse the aerobatic course with the primary solo course.  I think the solo course is only offered 4 times during the flying season.  You will fly as much as humanly possible during your 5 days (only 3 students are in a class and you rotate so you fly a ton.  I was soloing by Wednesday and probably had 30 - 40 solo  landings by friday. YOu will learn to fly in winds routinely at 15 - 25 mph and be amazed how well you will do.   As previously stated, Dave Scott is a successfull  full scale aerobatic pilot (NOT A STUNT PILOT)  and has taken many of the full scale principles and applied them to RC. The other two students in my class also had the same experience. Two of us had some experience, and one had never so much as had his hands on a radio or RC Plane.  When I went I was totally frustrated with the club methodology of teaching and was progressing and regressing simultaneously:     no preflight briefing, no post flight briefing,  quality of instruction from poor to excellent,  flying with whomever was available, do this and do that, but no explanation of how to do this or that and the principles behind it.  Dave is very clear on his web site and in his books regarding his principles so study his web site carefully and decide for yourself if it fits you.    For most folks, the club is the way to go, but if you can afford the fee and have the time, you will leave the school flying very confidently solo and in wind.  You do not get any plane  when you leave, but will be knowledgable about planes, radios, safety, etc.  You will spend more money crashing planes at home  than you will spend in the school.  Oh and by the way,  Dave Scott is a super guy and this is his profession, not a hobby, so his instructional techniques are those of a professional teacher, not a hobbyest. 
I guess by this testimonial that can tell that I was happy with my experience.  It met my goals which were to be a confident and proficient pilot with good skills that could return home and practice with a trainer without crashing and progress at my pace toward my 2nd plane.
I came home and am flying an Alpha 60 at least 4-5 times a week, have not crashed and am doing great and having a blast.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:19 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Ok, I just googled them, and this is legit, but it's not for beginners. This is for advanced pilots.

not true
http://www.rcflightschool.com/Solo_Course.html
Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for your post. Nice to hear from someone with actual knowledge of the issue. Congratulations on your successful result.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 PM
helisrock

Iherling,

Thanks for the post.  Sounds like something that is really worth the money!

Travis
Old 07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
SeamusG

ORIGINAL: RCVFR
Nice to hear from someone with actual knowledge of the issue.
Not sure what that means ...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM
bignasdy

I usualy have people taking off and landing on the 4th flight.
For Free
just sayin
d
The following users liked this post:
Scott Steward (10-29-2020)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 AM
SeamusG

Awesome.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: JohnGilmore

ORIGINAL: RCVFR
Nice to hear from someone with actual knowledge of the issue.
Not sure what that means ...

Referring to direct first hand knowledge of 1st U.S. Flight School rather than conjecture.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM
SeamusG

Thx for the clarification. Cheers.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Iherling

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

I usualy have people taking off and landing on the 4th flight.
For Free
just sayin
d
Ihear what you are saying, and that is great for a confidence builder.Iwish my club experience had been as fulfilling as the experience you have shared with your students. As a full scale aerobatic pilot and RC pilot I know that takeoff and landing are a very small part of learning to fly an aircraft (although criticallly importantthat we get them safely back on the ground)It certainly takes a lot longer to teach how to keep turns level without climbing or descending and the subsequent consequences of the porpoising or mushing that can result, and the aerodymicconsequences resulting. For me, in 5 days I learned take off, landing, level turns, flying to a point, low level flight, 360 and 720 degree turns, figures of eight, go arounds, and much more that I cannot think of right now. It reminds me of when i got my full scale ticket and was told that I now had a license to learn. That is what it felt like when I finished at 1st US RC Flight School. Ihad the good basic skills to go back home and build on that training and can now go as far as I want. I elected to do my training in the spring so I would have all spring, summer and fall to hone my skills. So far, going well.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 AM
bignasdy

safety first.........period
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
SeamusG

Plane control results in safety - or - without plane control you cannot be safe.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 PM
bignasdy

obviously....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.