Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New at the hobby! need lots of advice!

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New at the hobby! need lots of advice!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:11 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New at the hobby! need lots of advice!

Yeah, I seem to recall an FAA ceiling limit of 500 feet over the ground. I might be wrong, but the AMA can probably provide the info on that limit. I'm not sure how they would monitor that. I am an engineer for the FAA and know a bit about Air Traffic Control Surveillance and know that they can't do much with something that is that low to the ground without a transponder. They can, however, react to a complaint from a full-scale aircraft and know the vicinity where the complaint came from. If it came from an area around a club flying area, well, I'm pretty sure that they would cause a bit of a comotion with that club.

CGr.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 AM
willsavagexl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks and for the parkzone one i rather the cessna over it, and im ordering the cessna today! im gonna recieve it this friday!!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 AM
CGRetired

The Corvalis? Nice plane. I have not yet flown mine. I really ought to take it to work with me and fly it one afternoon.

CGr.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:19 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: guver

The corvalis seems to have plenty of power and maybe you can just add some tail weight if you have to OR move the esc and cut the back of the battery compartment to allow you to push the pack back. If it isn't too bad you may like to start out with it a touch nose heavy anyways until you get used to it. I use 170 gram 2.2 pack and is shoved all the way back. It's nose heavy , but that's the way I've flown it a dozen times or so.

I'm ready to move mine back and maybe it will act better at inverted flight then.

Those connectors should work fine and look like the ones that come on the sky lipos (not the same as what's on the esc though)

I'm not quite sure if I like the way the battery mounts in the Corvalis, though. It seems to be a tad bit loose in there. I even bought the battery that was recommended for it and it still seems a bit loose in there. The securing velcro is ok but the battery doesn't seem to have anything behind it to secure it to. Ah well, it flew ok in the review so I might be a tad bit paranoid about it.

CGr.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 AM
levram1

Use a strip of velcro on the bottom of the battery and a small piece in the fuselage.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 AM
willsavagexl

i ordered the rtf version but im so not sure! i find the recever and transmiter ready version nicer because it is in red! and i kinda rather the dx5e!
i thought of buying the dx5e and the rx-r version but its 20$ more and theres no battery and charger that comes with it so idk at this point! :O any ideas for which one i should go for?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:29 PM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: levram1

Use a strip of velcro on the bottom of the battery and a small piece in the fuselage. [img][/img]
Where in the fuselage did you put it? Under the "cowl" is a rectangular slot the width of a battery that has no real bottom or top.

I recall a few years ago, one of our club members was flying, I don't remember what it was, but when he went inverted, something popped out of the fuselage and dropped to the ground. Unfortunately, it was his battery.

CGr.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

My battery is jammed all the way back against the rear wall. I think my esc is above it , but I'm not sure where the esc started.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:02 PM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: guver

My battery is jammed all the way back against the rear wall. I think my esc is above it , but I'm not sure where the esc started.
In the Corvalis? There is an awful lot of wiggle room in there.

CGr
Old 07-16-2012, 05:47 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Yep, the back seems to be a bit tapered (up and down) and it is rock steady as long as the velcro is tight. At the front of the pack I have the velcro in between the main leads and the balance leads so it holds it from side to side movement. I have to say that I'm not in love with ANY of my battery mountings on any of my foam planes. Dare I say the corvalis is one of the best I have? []