Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Transmitter use

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Transmitter use

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter use

CityJack,

Another brand you might consider would be Airtronics.. an awesome computer Tx is the RDS8000. it is a 2.4 ghz system, 8 channel, 10 model memory, mixes and setting out the wahzoo.. they are sometimes on sale for about $220 with 2 receivers.. you could also consider the airtronics SD5G or SD6G two other excellent radio choices..

Most of the well known brands are an excellent choice, but I noticed that no one had thrown the Airtronics brand into the mix.. I personally have the RDS8000 (Great radio, lots of features.. enough to go from beginner to advanced) I also have the SD10G, Awesome radio, but way more radio than you would need for quite awhile!

Any computer radio will have model memory, and all you have to do is purchase more flight packs (Receiver, Servos & battery pack) for each aircraft you have.. one radio for many planes!

Also Consider the HiTec brand also an excellent choice for someone just getting started, and would like a radio that can grow with the pilot!!

Check out some of these links..

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ima-7-rxs.html

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...o-w-rx600.html

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...1-rx-only.html

But do yourself a favor, and look over the forums for the different radio brands, look at their reliability, issues the radio might have or might have had, price VS. features, etc. and make an informed decision from what you read..

I have personally flown with Futaba, HItec, and Airtronics, and would fly any of these brands without reservation.

Craig.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:24 PM
pushinoldrc
My Feedback: (46)

ORIGINAL: erik valdez

I would not Leave out the used market when it comes to buying a transmitter. I also wouldnt buy into the whole 2.4 is the only way to go thing. We flew 72mhz for years and years just fine, and I still do. You can find a once very expensive radio and receiver setup on 72 now for very cheap. Alot of sailplane guys used to fly 50 mhz as well. If you check out the buy/sell section you can find some great deals on good equipment, a real quick sheach found this one which has a sailplane mode and is more than capable of doing everything you could ever need.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=855961
I purchased an older JR 7202 72Mhz transmitter (7 channels, 20 model memory, and 2 aircraft modes) off of FeeBay about a year ago. It does not have a module in the back and therefore cannot be converted to 2.4Ghz via the module method. I did however change it to 2.4 with a FrySky module with telemetry. The change over is very easy as the JR modulator board is located on stands just under the back, and the 3 wires that connect to the new FrySky moduleare clearly marked on that board. My range is just under 1.5 miles, and Ihave all my airplanes and helicopters on this one radio (15 currently flying).
The receivers are very inexpensive, and seem to be quite durable. I have never had a problem with any brownouts or out of range situations.

This setup gives me all the model memory Ineed, and can be setup to perform just about any mixing I need.
My wife's TFGS F4U Corsair will require another radio though, as we are incorporating an operating canopy and simulated guns.
Bryan

Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 AM
bruceal

I would look into a Futaba 6J. Affordable,easy progamming and dependable.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Bamafever
My Feedback: (2)

Like some of the other guys said buy a older used 72mhz computer radio mith a module 72 is not dead yet .just get somthing with 6 or more ch. corona 72mhz rx are cheap and if u want u can buy the 2,4 module.there is a lot of brands out there but futaba is not the new kid on the block and one of the best if i was gonna buy a new or used radio buy the best buy futaba.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:37 AM
mike109

G'day

When I started in this hobby about 20 years ago, I bought a simple four channel radio. Then I built a second plane and so I bought a second radio. Before long I had five radios. Each radio could only handle one plane.

Then I bought a JR Computer Max 6 radio. I think it had a 10 model memory. I wish I had bought it in the first place. Although the simple radios were cheaper, their total price was a good deal more then the Computer Max 6.

These days I am again reducing the number of radios I have. I have several JR 2610 six channel computer radios on 36 Megs (the equivalent to the US 72 Megs), a Hitec Optic 6 2.4, one 2610 which has been converted to 2.4 with a Fly Dream module and which works fine, a Spektrum DX7 and my main radio these days - a Hitec Aurora 9 which can handle up to 30 models.

I'd suggest that any beginner who is planning to grow into this hobby buy at least a six channel computer radio. The Hitec Optic 6 is a good choice and there are similar radios from Spektrum, Futaba and Sanwa (Airtronics) and of course JR. It also makes sense to buy something which is compatible with what is being used at the club you intend to join.

I also have a Turnigy 9X which cost the princely sum of $59 plus some NiMh batteries. I bought it simply to play with. It works well but is a complete pain to program and the manual is pretty terrible. If you only have small planes and you are on a tight budget it is worth considering. Personally I will never use it with a glow powered plane. Others will disagree.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 07-19-2012, 05:05 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: sylvie369

As a newbie last year Ibought a non-computer 5-channel radio. I'm mostly flying sailplanes, so the fact that it's only 5 channels doesn't really bother me, but I do wish I'd bought a computer radio.

It seems that common advice is "buy the best transmitter you can afford right away, so you don't have to upgrade later". That sounds to me like good advice, and I wish I'd heard it in time. My radio is fine, but I bet I'll have another one before the end of next year.
I've heard that as long as I have been flying. But the members of the clubs I have been in say that is marketing hype and I believe it. I flew a 4-channelAM radio for over a year before finally "upgrading" to a 4 channel FM radio. It was at least 2 more years before I finally upgraded to a 7 channel computer radio. That was over 10 years ago and it is still my primary radio - and it is 72 MHz.

So buy what you need now- by the time you want to upgrade something will come along that is much cheaper than it is today.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 AM
DenverJayhawk

consider the cost of receivers in your decision. The market is flooded with used Spektrum DSM2/DSMX receivers that can be had for cheap.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 AM
sylvie369

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

I've heard that as long as I have been flying. But the members of the clubs I have been in say that is marketing hype and I believe it. I flew a 4-channelAM radio for over a year before finally "upgrading" to a 4 channel FM radio. It was at least 2 more years before I finally upgraded to a 7 channel computer radio. That was over 10 years ago and it is still my primary radio - and it is 72 MHz.

So buy what you need now- by the time you want to upgrade something will come along that is much cheaper than it is today.
Perhaps it should be restated as "buy a computer radio, at least" (rather than something that sounds a lot like "spend as much money as you possibly can"). I'm pretty sure I'd be happy for quite a few years with any name brand 7 channel computer radio, as you are with yours.

If I'm reading you correctly, you upgraded after one year, then again after two more years before settling in with your current radio ten years ago. Those first two upgrades are what I think people are trying to avoid. On the other hand, I paid the handsome sum of $100 for the 5 channel non-computer radio that I'd like to now replace, so yeah, it's not exactly going to break the bank if I stop using it in favor of a new one. In fact I've certainly gotten far more than $100 worth of enjoyment out of it in the 1-1/2 years I've been flying. But still if I were starting now knowing what I currently know, I'd have spent the extra $100 or so and gotten a computer radio instead.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Guys it's simple math. Buy a cheap radio for 100. Use it for a year and sell it for 50 to buy a 200 radio. You have to add the 50 lost to the cost of the new one. Now you've paid 250 for the new radio. Do this every couple of years and the cost of the radio you finally should have bought will cost you more then twice the price.
I own a LHS and when a used plane comes in for sale and has a 72 radio with it, I add 0 value for the radio. There almost imposable to sell.
Brand of radio is not important. If your new get one that most of the club uses so you can get help with the programing. It will also have some resale value later when you do want to upgrade, and you will.
An example is me. I used a JR 10x for over 15yrs. It cost $1200. Only had planes in the computer. sold it for $200. bought a JR 11X for $750 and eight months later they have a Spektrum 18ch. for just a little more and these radios fly everything.
It's just not a good business decision to buy a old radio.
Now on the other hand if you can find a good late model 2.4 used at a good price that makes more sense. Dennis
Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I started flying again in '99, I bought the Futaba T6XA. It only had three model memory, but that served me well for many years until I took up a little combat flying and ended up carrying two radios to the field. Once I got into more advanced planes with flaps, retracts, multiple servos on surfaces, I had to upgrade and went to an Aurora 9.

FWIW, I would at least start with a 7 channel. Whether you go with Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec or Spektrum, you'll most likely be happy with what you've bought. The off brand and China specials are not the way to go for a beginner. It pays to invest in a radio that you know will be solid and keep you flying for many years to come.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
eddieC

'Get the best radio you can afford' is great advice, especially if you're a geek like many of us. I've never regretted 'overbuying' and growing into the radio.  Even a Stick-type plane can use 7 or 8 channels: split elevators, 2 aileron servos, 2 flap servos, etc.

OTOH, if all you plan to do is fly normal 4-channel stuff for 2-3 years, buy a 6-channel computer radio at the very least.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

It's just not a good business decision to buy a old radio.
This is just incorrect information at its best! To say that a good 7 to 10 channel radio on 72mhz has no value is just bologna! I have been flying for over 15 years and NEVER bought a New radio. So by your rational everything that I own is all worthless because its not new. This sounds like lhs owner needs to make a sell information to me. I would venture to say that those just getting started in the hobby will not overstep the bounderies of their first radio purchase for at least a year or two. In that time most will decide to continue or not continue in the hobby. Now what makes more business sense, to buy a 750.00 radio to learn on, only to have it deprciate to 250.00 when youve decided the hobbies not for you. Or to buy a 100.00 radio, and in a year need to buy another for 750.00? It doesn't take a business degree to figure out which is the best decision.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

It dosent take a buisness degree to know that a 750 dollar radio will not degrade to 250 in less than a year of flying.... And that if you buy a 100 dollar radio and then a 750 dollar radio, you just spent 850 when you could have spent only 750.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
DadsToysBG

Sorry erik if you took what I said the wrong way. In no way did I suggest he buy a $700 radio. If you'll re-read my post you'll see i kept my 10x for 15 years before I changed. But I do stand by my statement that 72mhz has no re-sale value. He's not buying from me so your inference that I'm trying to sell is not correct.
As far as having a degree. What makes most sense spending $100 for a 5 to 10 year old radio or $200 for a new one.
I'm glad you have no reason to up-grade, but if you were new I would give you the same advice.
In any case having a disagreement with me has nothing to do with the OP question. You can give him your opinion without trying to argue with me. this serves no purpose. Dennis
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 PM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Ok, Im not trying to start a pi$$ing contest Im just really fed up with all the miss information I read on these forums. It may be your BELIEF that 72mhz radios have no value but that does not make it so. Again by your rational I should throw away my JR 10X becuase its a 72 mhz radio? This is silly, almost all 72 mhz radios now are upgradable to 2.4 if you wanted to. If this were true I would suggest to the OP that he should just ask you to send him one of these "worthless" radios for free and save his money. Come to think of it perhaps you can start sending them to me, Hell Ill pay the shipping. When it comes to a newbie in the hobby, get what you can to get in the air! It doesnt have to be the best, newest, most expensive as long as your having a good time. Down the road make a better decision based on what youve learned from experiance and not just what others suggest. I guess if 2.4 never came along all these guy's would have just givin up flying altogther, since 72mhz cant cut the mustard anymore.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM
eddieC

To say that a good 7 to 10 channel radio on 72mhz has no value is just bologna!  
True!  I have 2 modular radios, a Futaba 8UHP and a 9CHPS, and by switching modules I can fly 72 mhz (select ANY frequency), Futaba 2.4Ghz and Spektrum 2.4Ghz. Talk about flexibility, in this regard they're better than some of the priciest radios. If a club member has a modular for sale and it works fine, never been dropped, etc., I'd buy it. They are a GREAT value.  I see no need to buy another radio in the future. One can add telemetry features with third-party add-ons also.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:24 PM
DadsToysBG

This is how threads get derailed all the time. He ask for opinions and he got them from many people me included. It was not misinformation just my opinion, and we all now about opinions. We all have one.
And your right about upgrading to 2.4.I did it for my 10x. I only bought a new radio because I needed more channels.
If price is really a issue, you can get a DX 5 new for $60, but we were talking about computer radios. But anyway I'm done here. If the Op would like to he can PM me and ask all the questions he wants.
I am sorry you got in a wad over my opinion. Lets just go back to having fun. Dennis
Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 PM
CGRetired

Unfortunately, radio threads always go this way. If it isn't the Futaba guys against the JR guys, it's the 72 MHz against the 2.4GHz guys. Jeech.. what can a guy do.

I have intentionally left this thread go because I thought it may self govern and cooler heads would prevail. I still have confidence that you folks will get the message and keep this on focus.

Yeah, offer opinions, back them up with facts. Everything else is simply an emotional response and does not belong here.

Next step will be to lock it down.

CGr.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
carrellh

I am not a fan of the Tower 'ultimate combos' because they often include items I would not choose. Sometimes I think they put in whatever is overstocked.

I didn't read all of the posts in great detail so your question about computer radios may be answered. The primary advantage, in my mind, is multiple model memory. That way the settings for each model are stored so you do not have to make a lot of changes in order to fly a different one.

The programability for setting servo throw, exponential, mixing channels, etc is very nice to have but not an absolute requirement. The model should be set up mechanically as close as possible and radio programming should be for fine tuning.

Many times getting 7, 8, or 9 channel transmitters gets more model memory (more planes) in addition to more features. Features can be confusing. The manuals for most popular transmitters are available online so you can review them.

While everyone has a favorite (sometimes to the point of bashing all others) I believe Airtronics, Futaba, Hitec, JR, and Spektrum all have some very good products. Some of the lesser known brands are probably fine but sticking with the 5 listed means you can likely get answers to questions pretty easily.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:19 PM
BIGMIG

Just something to think about for the new guys who may just be starting out.This could and does apply to allmost anything in the RC hobby world..... Like to say for what it's "worth"

I allways find these forums the same...pick one...Boats,planes,hellicopters,cars,tanks,and mabe missing others.???

Allways the same thing........Buy the best you can afford with all the bells and whistles...........LOL Well gee whizzzz this is my first model and i want the best.........LOL

Lets stick with planes here.....airplane forum.

Do you know people who know how to fly RC Planes...?? And have been flying for a while.? How many of them own one plane and one radio that have been flying for a while.........ANSWER "ZERO"

How many people have bought expensive planes,motors,Radios,and all the bells and whistles and either crashed the plane and quit flying or just quit after finding out it takes some skill to fly them and now just quit trying and this "stuff" is just sitting on a shelf collecting dust...........Answer......."A BUNCH OF THEM"

RC flying is fun and most average people can learn how to fly......But it will not be done in a day.......it takes practice....with no help it will be the 8th wonder of the world and a good deal of at least a lot of repair jobs and who knows how many models for the average guy or gal trying on their own.(been there and done that and i like to think anyway i didn't just fall of the back of a watermellon truck..... )

There are a lot of fun flyers who are ok flyers like myself(not great by anystreatch of the imagination )...there are damm good flyers and there are those who some would call expert flyers.It's ok if one falls anywhere in the group.....It's fun...

But just about any RC hobby there is one thing to keep in mind when you buy your toys.......You better use and injoy what you get because if you get tired of the hobby......98 % of the time if you try to sell the stuff....you are going to take a big loss.Electronix stuff is changing all the time......what is so called "top of the line today"...can just be a dust collector a year from now and no one wants to pay anything for it.

Start slow and inexpensive to get your feet wet..........If you find out it is better than sex.....Then the sky is the limit,go for it.Don't let other people spend your money for you.Use your head .........If you got lots of money and feel you just need to spend it and one who feels the need to have the so called "best".....then just dissreguard what i just wrote...

A little story of a friend ( we aren't buddy buddy...but have known him and his wife a long time and consider them friends )

It has been a few years back now (mabe a few is understating..could be more ) But my point is .....at that time he joined a flying club and was flying a lot and came out one day to visit for a while and of course we were talking rc planes and flying.He said he couldn't stay long because he was expecting a UPS delivery of ( i think two radios ..one for him and one for his son ) and he showed me a picture of the radios he ordered in the hobby magizine he had with him.These were top of the line computer radios at that time
and i think they were futaba Radios (i'm going to say they were $1350.00 dollers each...but may have been higher).And my point is a month or less later "He quit flying"...??????? What.???? As far as i know they are sitting on a shelf in his garage.What are they worth "NOW"............

BIGMIG
Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 AM
stevenmax50

I am shocked that no one has recommended the 8 ch Airtronics radio to you.  It has all the features you are looking for and its only around 200 bucks.  I have 6 models on my RDS8000.  Look it up at Hobby People.com.