Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Transmitter use

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Transmitter use

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 AM
cityjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter use

Afternoon all,

If I purchase of of the Hobby shops combo kits where I get everything including the transmitter and servos for that plane, when I build another, can I just purchase another set of servos and rcvr and just use my exisitng transmitter?

Thanks

Sid
Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter use

That would depend on what the combo you are buying is. Some of the combos have transmitters and recievers that are kinda like one use only. If the combo is a Futaba, JR, or Spectrum, then yes all you would need is another flight pack for a new plane. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-18-2012, 06:17 AM
cityjack

Here is the combo. Let me know if you would please if this falls into multiple uses.

Thank you very much.

Sid
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No image or link came through. 

David pretty much covered it.  Some are designed to be fairly modular and others (especially the new "Bind and Fly" and "Plug and Play") may be more brand specific between radio and additional aircraft compatability.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 AM
cityjack

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1672

My fault. Doing a spreadsheet here at work and I got messed up.

Let me know if I can transfer this radio to another plane and just get a different set of servos please? Thank you again and I apologize for the lack of link.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 AM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

you could use it, but I wouldn't recomend it. You will want a good 6 channel ormore radio when you start flying more advanced planes.(flaps, retracts, smoke,ect,)

On a side note, is this going to be your first plane? I would recomend something more like this for your first plane: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1678

This will get you flying, but you will want a better radio down the road. If you don't want to buy another reciever for this plane, consider this radio: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXARNY&P=0
it is not a computer radio, but its a 6 channel.
These ones will not work with the included reciever, but they are computer radios and you will not outgrow them very quickly unlike a non computer radio:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPZT8&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYYR8&P=0
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...mour+Overlay+4
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...eiver-JRP00619
You can decide which you like best, they ar all good. And all of thesecompanies make radios with more channels, so take a look at hose as well.
Here is another thing-this module will plug into the trainer port of any radio and allow you to use you r radio with a tactic reciever, like the one in the trainer. You can learn to fly on the tactic radio and a buddy cord, and then upgrade to a computer radio and this module to fly your trainer.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBPKF&P=0
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 AM
sylvie369

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a newbie last year Ibought a non-computer 5-channel radio. I'm mostly flying sailplanes, so the fact that it's only 5 channels doesn't really bother me, but I do wish I'd bought a computer radio.

It seems that common advice is "buy the best transmitter you can afford right away, so you don't have to upgrade later". That sounds to me like good advice, and I wish I'd heard it in time. My radio is fine, but I bet I'll have another one before the end of next year.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Charlie P.

Two cautions I would advise regarding that transmitter:

It does not come with rechargeable batteries (meaining you either have to go broke buying AA batteries or else come up with rechargeables seperately).

It does not have model memory - so each model will have to be tuned and trimmed manually.  This is certainly possible - we were all doing it 10 years ago - but opens a real problem with multiple models flying off one transmitter.  ESPECIALLY if one model has one or more reversed servos.  The good news is that this will force you to learn how to properly adjust a model manually with control rod adjustments and servo arm control horn throws.  The bad news is that if you forget to manually reverse a servo with the Tx switches and don't catch it while pre-flighting it could cost you a model.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Look for a good 6 ch. computer radio. That way you can have several planes in it's memory. The radio will also remember the trim for each plane.
The plane you have is a great flying plane,but not really good to learn on. It is fast and will not self correct itself. It is one of the best second planes you could ask for.
the Kaos was one of the first patterns in the 60'ies. It flys better with two servos in the wing, which calls for a better radio.
Find a good club and ask for help when your ready to fly. Also having help during the build is nice too. Dennis
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM
cityjack

I DEFINITELY do NOT want to buy another radio a year from now. I'd rather put the money in now and be able to do what I want for some time to come. Should I just stay away from these combo stes do you think? Yes this will be my first RC plane. I have been around them for years and years as I grew up with them with my dad flying his Kraft, Min-X, and OS radios. I was always a U-Control and Ringmaster person myself. I agree the top wing trainers would probably be better off for me. But they are so darn ugly. I'd rather do a piper cub with ailerons if thats a possibility. What is a computer vs a non-computer radio? Do you think I should just build up a "combo" so to speak on my own? Pick out a plane. Then a radio. Then the engine. I am going to go with an ARF first off that way I do not destroy my months worth of hardwork on a kit. I have plenty of my dads kits that he left me that I'd like to build but I'd cry if I destroyed them. I'd rather destroy a pre-fab if it came to that a few times before I put one of mine in the air.

I think 4 channels would do me for now, but I definitely like the idea of retracts later on down the road. I guess on a good radio, 6 channels is pretty much standard?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
cityjack

With this computer radio and its model memory up to say 10 models, do I just keep purchasing receivers and servos and just keep using the same xmitter?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 AM
DadsToysBG

You'll find the computer radio will come in 6ch. Brand is up to you. A radio repairman told me once that if you put all the radios in a bag and shack them up the first one out is the best. A good high wing trainer.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...r%3C%2Fb%3E+40
Radio
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2Fb%3Es+2.4ghz
You also have the option of electric, but the radio stays the same. Dennis
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: cityjack

With this computer radio and its model memory up to say 10 models, do I just keep purchasing receivers and servos and just keep using the same xmitter?

Thanks
Yes, that's the point of a better radio.

Since you can use a computer controlled radio with multiple models, it behooves you to get the best you can afford.... ( up to some limits if you're swimming in cash... ).

- A better radio will have more functions you can use for your multiple planes.
- A better radio will save you it's cost in eliminating the need for servo matching devices and/or reversed servos
- A better radio will last longer and give you a better experience
- A better radio will have important safety features...
e.g. timer turns on when you take off, model match prevents using the TX with the wrong model, etc.
- A better radio will have a higher resale value
- A better radio can be serviced if it is damaged or has problems.
- A better radio can often be upgraded via software
- A better radio can be buddy boxed as either master or slave
- A better radio has DIGITAL TRIMS!!! ( best invention since proportional radios and sliced bread! )

etc. etc. etc.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Charlie P.

Yes sir.  That's why there is some great advantage in starting off with a "scaleable" transmitter.  Six seems like a lot starting out, but two mixes and maybe flaps or gear and you're topped out.  Split ailerons, split elevators, dual rudder servos . . . all gobble up channels.

I have two transmitters and eight flyable models at present.  Two of those models are programmed into both transmitters as a redundant plan to save a day at the field if one Tx goes out of service.  Also one "park flyer" EDF jet with a simple analog/non-computer Tx not counted above . . . which is a pain as it does not have digital trims or memory and the model itself is not easily adjusted.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM
opjose

Thanks that adds a couple of more reasons...

- You can transfer setups from one computer controlled radio to another
- You can purchase a "backup" radio more easily after the fact...

Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

I would not Leave out the used market when it comes to buying a transmitter. I also wouldnt buy into the whole 2.4 is the only way to go thing. We flew 72mhz for years and years just fine, and I still do. You can find a once very expensive radio and receiver setup on 72 now for very cheap. Alot of sailplane guys used to fly 50 mhz as well. If you check out the buy/sell section you can find some great deals on good equipment, a real quick sheach found this one which has a sailplane mode and is more than capable of doing everything you could ever need.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=855961
Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM
opjose

I have two XP8103DT myself...

Great radios.... but their time has passed.

"Model Match" alone justifies and pays for the upgrade IMHO.

Why buy something you'll want to replace later?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 PM
DadsToysBG

you can get a DX6i for 156. without a receiver. For a little over 200 you can have it with 3 park receivers. The 8103 is a little over priced in my opinion. Dennis
Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

My very first Computer radio purchase was a Jr X-347, I still fly this radio today, and not on small glow stuff, its currently in a 35% cap 232. If you have the money by all means buy what you like but there is no reason to dismiss some of these older systems because of the new bells and whistles. It is a fact that you dont always get what you pay for, sometimes you can get even more.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
opjose

The DX6 is not a bad starter TX at all.

However going for a few more channels is a better deal in the long run.

8103's are the older 72mHz units no longer sold.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: opjose

The DX6 is not a bad starter TX at all.

However going for a few more channels is a better deal in the long run.

8103's are the older 72mHz units no longer sold.

DX6: are you talking the original DX6 or the newer DX6i? I have the original DX6 and it's been a bullet proof radio, but it's limited in range compared to the full range DX6i, and AR6000 receivers are not easy to find.

There are a lot of 72MHz radios that are module radios, and they sell 2.4GHz modules. For $110 I changed a JR 783 from 72MHz to 2.4GHz - that included the module and the AR7000 receiver with satellite. That gives the advantage of using either band depending on what the application is.

Hogflyer
Old 07-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

Sid,
The extra receivers were on the bottom of the page of the link you posted.
Hear is the link anyway.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZNR1&P=V

Also you can retrofit the transmitter with the Energizer rechargeables that you can get at the grocery store, with the charger. 

Old 07-18-2012, 03:46 PM
oldtyme

A very good entry level radio is the Futaba 7C. You will not outgrow this radio for a long time and it is a computer radio with model memory. With the transmitter and receiver it is a bargain at $279
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I started out with a Dx7 and still have, I currently have 7 models in the memory and am very happy with it.
I'm not familiar with that Tactic brand. I'll be hesitant to fly expensive planes with cheapo electronics
Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

We recomend Futaba 7c 2.4 to our new pilots. So far 10 flyers in 3 years have taking that advice. All were and are very happy. Serveral pilots that started with Spectrum
whiched after all the spectrum issues.

Chris923
Flying Electrons
Student pilot/Instructor Coordinator
Meno. Falls Wis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.