Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help me get into rc airplanes!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help me get into rc airplanes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Jew1028

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get into rc airplanes!

Hey, I am wanting to get into rc airplanes. I have been racing rc cars and trucks for a while and I have flown some rc airplanes a long time ago. Iam wondering what would be a good starter plane? I would like it to be electric and a kit.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 PM
sagehillspilot

Default RE: Help me get into rc airplanes!

Very good plane is the Hobbyzone Super cub LP. it is 179.99 RTF.  www.hobbyzone.com

Look around in the "trainer" section at this site. www.hobbyking.com

www.alienaircraft.com have some good kit planes

and you're local craft shop might have some foam to build the planes from www.mikeysrc.com

Good luck dude!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:06 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCKen put together a pretty extensive list of trainers. Take a look here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm

All of them have been flown by someone here on RCU and have had good reviews.

CGr.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:54 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Do have a look at the stickies at the top of the forum too. They'll answer questions that you haven't thought of to ask yet! And welcome to flying too. Once you get this figured out, it's about the most fun you can have with a transmitter in your hand.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Take a look at sig for kit trainers. They are easily electrified. http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig
Edwin
Old 07-31-2012, 05:50 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

You're right. I have the Sig (Herr) Little Something Extra, that was originally for use with a .25 glow engine, that I electrified. It was - still is, quite a performer. Not for beginners, though.

CGr.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay clear of   Hobby King.   Do some research about them  before you decide to send them your hard earned money. 

Frank
Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
jester_s1

I'd have to agree about Hobby King. After you fix substandard and defective parts, you won't save much money if any. The aggravation is not worth it. The very best way to do it is to get hooked up with a club first, preferably one that has free training and keeps some trainers around for students to use. Club membership really should be the first money you spend on the airplane hobby. Get to know some guys and take opportunities to fly as many different airplanes on the buddy box as you can to see what you like. Sometimes you'll meet guys who are selling beginner grade equipment in order to upgrade so that's one way to make your dollars go farther, as is your local Craigslist and the classifieds here. The one thing I'll caution you about though is used radio gear. There can be things wrong and you can't tell until your plane goes down. Buy new there and buy quality (not Eurgle, Flysky, Turnigy, etc) so that you'll have a trustworthy and trouble free setup.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

And your chance of buddy boxing is better if you use one of the standard radio brands. I couldnt help a new student earlier this year because he bought what amounted to a foamy motor glider toy with radio. The radio buddy connector didnt match anything standard. After I explained all that, never saw him again.
Edwin
Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 PM
jester_s1

And he probably went out into a vacant lot, tried to fly it himself because he wasn't willing to spend any more money, and lost it in a tree.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:43 AM
ATVAlliance

Not a thing wrong with buying from Hobby King. You just have to be somewhat educated in the hobby to be able to separate the junk from the better stuff that they have for sale.

Granted, Ive mostly bought parts rather than planes...but I do have a couple planes from there and both are good planes, one of which (about a .25 size Yak54) is one of my all time favorite electric planes. It was an ARF but I used cheap Turnigy motor and cheap HXT servos all the way around and its just an all around awesome flying plane. Its a balsa/covering and not one of the many foam yaks that they sell.

Maybe HK shouldnt be for the brand new beginner...as Ive seen stuff on their site I wouldnt touch with a 10' pole.And new people wouldnt beable to tell what is goodand what is not. So I guess I can see both sides of the argument.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:49 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is/was your skill level with airplanes. I found after a ten year or so layoff, it was like riding a bike. I was very rusty, but was able to do everything, just not very pretty My first plane back was a Hangar 9 CAP 232. I would have described my self as an intermediate pilot when I left the hobby.

Ken
Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 PM
FLYMAD

Try the dynam hawksky or the hobbyking bixler, I used a hawksky as my first plane and it was as near to indestructable as RC planes get. It was handy having a rear mounted motor so that i never broke a prop or did any motor damage. Nitroplanes sells the hawksky for $109 ready to fly.