Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Having trouble on first start. Need some help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Having trouble on first start. Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Having trouble on first start. Need some help

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE1oa0zC3bE[/youtube]
Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Hand starting is easy if you know how to do it and nearly impossible if you don't know! I always hand start my engines ccw.
An electric starter is good to have.
A plastic spinner is not that good as it can slip very easily when you tighten the prop nut, especially if you use a four way wrench. A better way is to use an aluminium spinner nut.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17259.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1809399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19616.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1809400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74323.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1809401  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scuba-Steve
Im giving up for the night. Do you guys think my club will be active on a monday? If not ill just take it to the club sponsored store.
If the club is listed on the AMA site http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx there may be a phone number you can call to reach someone. If so, try to make contact and arrange to meet some one who can get you through the first startup.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

With some cowlings your hand cannot get to the carburetor, that is when an electric starter comes handy
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

stop playing around go get a starter then go to your local field and ask for help
Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There's no need to be harsh about it. Experienced modelers have given their opinions quite clearly on the value of an electric starter both here and in the OP's thread last week asking what all to buy. For now he's decided to hand start his engine, which is a perfectly valid albeit more difficult way to run nitro engines. A couple of generations back it was the only option so we know it will work if he learns the technique. He now has plenty of information to go on and should be able to get his engine started to do the break in.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM
[email protected]

SORRY I WAS NOT TRYING TO BE HARSE JUST TRYING TO HELP HIM GET GOING FASTER
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Scuba-Steve

Btw, I just bought a starter and a spinner nut.  I thought i could find a cheaper lawnmower at walmart.  I was wrong.  Back to get a hobbico battery shortly.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM
OliverJacob

I use a lawnmower battery. This holds up for several months without recharging and it's cheaper then the little ones you get a t the hobby store.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM
[email protected]

i got a lawn mower battery from walmart its strong will last for years mine is 4 yrs old now
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM
FireBee
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scuba-Steve, you are learning to listen and try. Great, now go read post 21 again by Acerc.

Get some local help and you will have success. Every club should have an instructor to help as well.
Learning to Fly is like riding a bike IMO: some will get the hang of balance and eye hand coordination and never crash. Others will crash 10 times until it clicks.

I've seen many things in 35 yrs flying. I too continue to ask others for help as you learn each new phase and type of flying.

This is a great hobby!
R, Mike
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM
OliverJacob

There are some discussions about plastic spinners or nuts.
I like the plastic spinners as they protect the crankshaft to some degree in a 'hard landing' .
The plastic absorbs a lot of the impact energy while it brakes. And I never had one coming apart during normal operation.

The nut has to be really tight, some bigger 4 stroke engines still manage to backfire and loosen the spinner nut, but that's not too much of an issue imho.

Just my 2 cents

To the op - become a club member, let someone look over your plane and help you to start and tune the engine. Nothing wrong with asking for help.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Scuba-Steve

I am a club member as well as an AMA member.  I had no intentions on flying this on my own.  I even bought a second tactic 660 so I will be sure I have an instructor radio link.  I just thought I could handle the basics on my own.  Building the RTR plane.  Adjusting clevises to make it so I shouldnt have to trim on my radio, breaking in the engine, etc.  I just wanted to be ready to find some help and get into the air when I first showed up at the field.  Maybe I misjudged this slightly, although I think I can handle breaking this in now that I have an electric starter and a better spinner.  Believe it by my dumb questions or not, I am pretty technically and automotively savvy.  But maybe Im still misjudging all of this.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 AM
jaka

Hi!
Hand starting is all about technique. You have to prime the engine first and then flip the prop vigorously counter clockvise!
Carb must be set at aprx 2-3mm open from fully closed.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Correct me if I'm wrong but hand starting a 2 stroke engine by hand is always against the compression stroke. If you prop CCW the engine will run backwards upon starting. The prop rotation is CCW to the engine CW rotation. You prop CW to start the engine by hand.
wrong, wrong, wrong unless you are standing behind the prop. If in front and facing the prop, you flip it CCW.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM
jester_s1

If you haven't bought the battery yet I'm going to suggest skipping the separate battery and go with one mounted to the starter. You'll be amazed at how much more convenient that is. IIRC, you said in another thread that you already have a lipo capable charger. If so, a 4 cell lipo around 2000-3000 mah will power than starter very well and can be zip tied to the side of it.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:12 AM
jaka

Hi!
Agree! Here is mine! It's powered by a 14,8V 2000mAh LiPo battery. Automatic glow driver attached on top that accutates when the starter buttom is pushed.

Name:	Hf98475.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1809765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98124.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1809766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28843.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1809767  
Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
dmowery

JAKA-Glow Plug Heater attached to the starter ? now that a accadent waiting to happin as it can be easley caught in the prop NOPE keep both seperate and use a rechargable glow plug heater-Lucky you haveny hurt yourself with a rig like that -Pull away to far anhd wham into the prop with the cord-hurt yourself , your helper ,bystander ao plane -Not a real smart setup in my opinion and yea I hyave one like everone else -been doing this bout 60 plus years now
Also note open contacts on lipo termanils -drop a screwdriver or metal short -Ever see what a Lipo shorted out does< I would make a better and safe setup -there are much safer items on the market then a very unsafe way -Im just tring to keep ypu from hurting yourself and anyone else
Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 PM
jester_s1

Did you build that up with fiberglass Jaka? There's no way I'd use a corded glow driver either, but I like the way you attached the battery to the starter. The whole point of going cordless though is the eliminate the cord that can get tangled around you or hit by the prop, so it seems like a step backward to tether a part that has to be behind the prop to a part that has to be in front of it.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Sulivan Dynatron 12/24 starter. Aluminum tray holds any combination lipo up to 6S. Enough room to carry two glo igniters (in case one runs low). Black box on the back is a regulated 12 volt supply with push on/ push off button and it powers my fuel pump and I can even quick charge my reciever pack from it.

Dennis

Name:	Pm35130.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1809832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37223.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1809833  
Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Don't be discouraged, learning to start a glow engine on your own can be a challange. My first time my arm almost fell off from flipping the prop for what seemed like hours. Best advice is of course to get someone to show you that has been doing it for years. If determined to get it started on you own, and I admire that, then only thing I can offer that has not been said already is to be sure your glow driver has a good battery and a good charge. I think you said you tested the plug but if not be sure it glows bright when connected. Finally, be sure the plane is restrained properly, because you will get the litttle monster to run eventually and they do have a big bite. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM
sweatybetty

if you havent already bought a battery, i would suggest a motorcycle battery. half the weight, half the size and about the same price. i run a starter and a glow driver off of mine and have yet to have it run low.
as far as hand starting, i have a os 75 ax that my starter will not turn when the engine is cold. once it is warmed up then the starter works fine. so, for me, learning to properly hand start an engine was needed. its a good thing to know.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM
stick
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Correct me if I'm wrong but hand starting a 2 stroke engine by hand is always against the compression stroke. If you prop CCW the engine will run backwards upon starting. The prop rotation is CCW to the engine CW rotation. You prop CW to start the engine by hand.
wrong, wrong, wrong unless you are standing behind the prop. If in front and facing the prop, you flip it CCW.

You can flip it either direction when starting by hand. My two strokes I usually flip CCW. My saito four strokes I flip CW. It will kick back around and run in the CCW direction. For a beginer I would flip CCW from the front of the engine.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:42 AM
jaka

Hi!
I'm a pylonracer!

Name:	Sq48149.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1810489