Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Long time member just inherited engines what to do?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Long time member just inherited engines what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 AM
RC_THLR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time member just inherited engines what to do?

My father in law recently passed and he was an avid builder/flyer. I have a bunch of engines to get rid of not sure what kind of info anyone may have on them, such as worth,age general info. some are big engines with rings and all. located in napa ca.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 AM
RC_THLR

Default RE: Long time member just inherited engines what to do?

there is a total of 6 the fox ones i didnt pull out of the box. the one to the right of the o.s. box looks like it might be an older model. its its stamped 78 on the side and is a piston ringed motor and looks like it has a points set as well.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you can google for some info... there are avid collectors out there as well... Most look quite modern.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Your best bet is to use the Buy & Sell section here at RCU. You can look at the same engines and get a value then list them for free at the same site. Just don't use Ebay as your price indicator. RCU prices are what the engines will really bring.

David
Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM
RC_THLR

the hard part is I dont have any info on the two engines to the right accept whatever is stamped. those two little fox engines have boxes and then the two big ones on the left got boxes.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:13 AM
KW_Counter

I think your best bet is eBay.
I recently had good luck selling several engines, and other stuff,
for my friends children. Much bigger market than here at RCU.

Find out what you can, take pictures and be honest.
If you need any help feel free to PM me.
I'm just north of you in Lake County.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW, you'll get better prices on Ebay for pristine engines that are at least similar to what's currently being made due to the number of newer hobbyists that go there. Of course, that's offset somewhat by their fees. Rare or simply old engines that guys are going to want due to the nostalgia factor will usually bring a better price here or here http://www.modelenginecollectors.org/. Those in the middle, older but not antique, will be snapped up by the bargain hunters here if you bargain price them. If you don't mind putting some time in to get the best prices, break out the Dawn power dissolver and get all of the brown castor residue off before photographing the engines, and do an alcohol soak for 3-4 days on the ones that feel gummy inside so you can advertise them as smooth turning over. Running the ones that aren't new in box helps a little but too, since you can say you've run them and they work fine.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 AM
adamle

I suggest picking through the collection for a good .46 and then find a sig LT-40 and a radio. Enjoy your new addiction!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

If you will post pics of all 4 sides of those 2 engines in the glow engines forum. Someone will be able to tell you all about them.

David
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: RC_THLR

the hard part is I dont have any info on the two engines to the right accept whatever is stamped. those two little fox engines have boxes and then the two big ones on the left got boxes.
The pic I see only shows 4 engines
Old 10-13-2012, 03:05 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

I beleve he stated there are two more fox engines inside the box's on the right.

RC THLR The MDS engine these days are not good for much more than a paper weight an are very difficult to sell. I think the OS is an old SF which is a good and still useful engine for some. It would have helped if you could have looked at each engine and described the markings or privided better pictures and two sides of each engine. The most interesting of the Foxs is the one that appears to have a timer on it. This one may bring a fair price and the other fox's possibly too.

The trouble with collectable engines and I am a hobby collector of all sorts of related stuff including electronics, is prices of this stuff hits rock bottom in a time such as our current world economic disaster.

So do try the E/ bay thing but just don,t get expectations up in the clouds.

As an example I just did a buy out for fifty bucks from someone who walked up the other night coming out of our club meeting. It was a big pile of stuff including a few new smaller contemperary engines as well as two good condition Forster .29's and a Super Cyclone that is pristene and will be a runner.

That engine alone just a few years ago would have fetched 300 or more but now?

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73852.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1810879  
Old 10-13-2012, 03:20 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Yep, MDS engines are flip of the coin. Well made and look nice, but some just don't run worth a darn, even after long break-ins. It looks new in the box, at least it's perdy and may sell OK to the unknowing.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

The trouble with collectable engines and I am a hobby collector of all sorts of related stuff including electronics, is prices of this stuff hits rock bottom in a time such as our current world economic disaster.

So do try the E/ bay thing but just don,t get expectations up in the clouds.

As an example I just did a buy out for fifty bucks from someone who walked up the other night coming out of our club meeting. It was a big pile of stuff including a few new smaller contemperary engines as well as two good condition Forster .29's and a Super Cyclone that is pristene and will be a runner.

That engine alone just a few years ago would have fetched 300 or more but now?

John
You aught to see the porcelain doll market! LOL. Thought it would go fast, only it you want to give it away. I got a house full, just going to store it for now.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:19 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your engine with the points looks like a glow engine that was converted to run on ignition, maybe on a gas/oil mix. The only Fox engines that were originally set up with points would be over 50 years old. I think a few "long shaft" Fox .59's were set up that way. But that engine is most likely from the 70's-80's era.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The MDS engines do have a few problems like poor casting and materials but as runners they can be great but you don't want to use nitro over 5%. They were made in Russia and are high compression engines designed for FAI fuel. Out of 4 of them I had one that ran pretty will with 15%, the .68. The .58 was a power house but I dumped them before I figured out the nitro thing. The MDS engines today are pretty much give aways.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM
RC_THLR

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

The fox boxes have engines in them as well. making a total of 6.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 PM
RC_THLR

work has had me busy the past few days. I'll get some more pics over the next day or two.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RC_THLR; Can you identify the gray engine on the far right, by the Fox 29X Box? The carb kind of makes me wonder which of several engines it might be.
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 AM
RC_THLR

far right engine out of the box has the letter "K" stamped on it with some wings behind it, and has serial number A02127 stamped on it. the engine to the left of that one(next to the OS racing box) has fox 78 stamped on it. I think I will clean these up just a tad and sell them as a lot to get them out of here. with a child due in a few weeks not really sure,I will have the time to do this and dont want them to sit in the garage to be re-discovered later on!LOL
Old 10-19-2012, 06:05 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fox 78 a very powerful engine but needs a good breaking in before its' first use....Istill have mine.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:55 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

RC_THLR; Can you identify the gray engine on the far right, by the Fox 29X Box? The carb kind of makes me wonder which of several engines it might be.
Thanks.

Looks like a Kraft .61 w/ a Perry carb...
Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 PM
RC_THLR

ORIGINAL: proptop

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Thanks.

Looks like a Kraft .61 w/ a Perry carb...
Thanks for the ID
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Hossfly

Yep, Thanks much. I have to get into the barn and check it out with mine. Thanks for the help.