Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

zippy lipos are they any good

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

zippy lipos are they any good

Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: zippy lipos are they any good

My only point was you aren't dealing with a dummy. I'm glad others have had good experiences with Zippy batteries. Maybe they've improved since I tried them. Maybe others have gotten lucky and I didn't. All I know is that I tried them and found them adequate when they were new and unusable about about 50 cycles. The aggravation of dealing with them wasn't worth the cost savings, so I stepped up to something better and have been impressed so far with what an extra $10 or so gets you. Other pilots can buy whatever they want to.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quote:

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I do not need to resort to personal attacks due to not being able to ''win'' an argument. I have a master's degree that required over 3000 pages of academic writing, much of it persuasive by nature, and an IQ over 130. I was a debate champion once in college in a tournament with 4 other colleges. And I have a hard headed wife too, which trumps all of the prior qualifications!
It is very well .................................................. ........

-__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I'm impressed!!!!

When Hobby King opened many years ago I ordered a bulk of 10 2200mah 3cell. I am still using them, and never had an issue, even have some 1st generation T/power batteries (no balance taps). Still using them

Take care of the batteries they will last a long time
Old 06-21-2013, 11:38 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

My only point was you aren't dealing with a dummy. I'm glad others have had good experiences with Zippy batteries. Maybe they've improved since I tried them. Maybe others have gotten lucky and I didn't. All I know is that I tried them and found them adequate when they were new and unusable about about 50 cycles. The aggravation of dealing with them wasn't worth the cost savings, so I stepped up to something better and have been impressed so far with what an extra $10 or so gets you. Other pilots can buy whatever they want to.
I don't think anyone suggested you where dumb, just simply incorrect, happens to everyone. Did you see the post where someone ordered a gens ace and got a turnigy battery?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM
opjose

I do not need to resort to personal attacks due to not being able to ''win'' an argument.
Hmmm.... calling reviewers plants, or shills, does qualify though.

I have a master's degree that required over 3000 pages of academic writing, much of it persuasive by nature, and an IQ over 130.
Irrelevant... I'll top your 130 with a 157 thank you.... the number is not worth a hill of beans too.

It is very well established in the publishing world that product reviews are bought and paid for by the manufacturers. That's how you get a product reviewed- you pay for the magazine space. I have read gun magazines for years and once saw a review on the Hi-Point 9mm pistol. It is widely regarded as the worst made gun that is legal to sell in the U.S, yet the reviewer gave it a glowing recommendation. He was a pen for hire, as are 99% of all product reviews.
A Non-sequitur

e.g. it does not follow that stating an 130 IQ means you are automatically correct.

Even the ones who do reviews for RCU are paid, at least by keeping the product. Do you think any RC magazine would run an article that hurt the sales of a big vendor like Hobby King and then also deal with the trickle down of other vendors getting shy about having their products tested and reviewed? The guys who run the magazines aren't stupid. They know who pays the bills.
You should REALLY check the articles I've mentioned out... HK does NOT advertize in the magazine.

The reviewer obtained both GenAce and Zippy/Turnigy plus other cells to SCIENTIFICALLY TEST to see if LiPos in general met their "C" rating advertizing claims ( NONE did including the big boys but some were better than others and better values too. )

He obtained the batteries via UK distributors & ebay, etc... he knew nothing about Nitroplanes, Hobby King, etc....

Not a paid review, not a shill...

Empirical testing trumps anecdotal declarations any day.

There is a strange counter culture in this hobby (and others as well) to try and push cheap, low grade products as being just as good as the mainstream items.
There is a strange culture in this forum of those who try to convince the world that just because they elect to overpay for their purchases, so must everyone else... that somehow the fallacy of "you get what you pay for" is true... that because something is more expensive it is inherently better.

But you're a fool if you think that an $8 battery is the same as a $40 battery just because they were made in the same country or even in the same factory.
The "fool" is the person who thinks that just because they are paying $40.00 for a battery they are getting something far better. I pity them.

BTW: I have 32 cheap $8.00 HK 140oz/in metal gear digital servos that are running rings around $65.00 Hitec metal gear digitals in a heavy use/abuse environment.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 PM
t-max97

I do not need to resort to personal attacks due to not being able to ''win'' an argument. I have a master's degree that required over 3000 pages of academic writing, much of it persuasive by nature, and an IQ over 130. I was a debate champion once in college in a tournament with 4 other colleges. And I have a hard headed wife too, which trumps all of the prior qualifications!
It is very well established in the publishing world that product reviews are bought and paid for by the manufacturers. That's how you get a product reviewed- you pay for the magazine space. I have read gun magazines for years and once saw a review on the Hi-Point 9mm pistol. It is widely regarded as the worst made gun that is legal to sell in the U.S, yet the reviewer gave it a glowing recommendation. He was a pen for hire, as are 99% of all product reviews. Even the ones who do reviews for RCU are paid, at least by keeping the product. Do you think any RC magazine would run an article that hurt the sales of a big vendor like Hobby King and then also deal with the trickle down of other vendors getting shy about having their products tested and reviewed? The guys who run the magazines aren't stupid. They know who pays the bills.

There is a strange counter culture in this hobby (and others as well) to try and push cheap, low grade products as being just as good as the mainstream items. There is a place in the hobby for Zippys, and as I said above they may be good enough for the OP's application. But you're a fool if you think that an $8 battery is the same as a $40 battery just because they were made in the same country or even in the same factory.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

I have used several "Zippy" LIPO's for a few years. Mostly I use 2 cell with a voltage regulator for my receiver and servo's. They have performed well, and I would continue to purchase them as needed.

Sledge_78
Old 06-21-2013, 03:22 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread moved due to continuous off-topic arguing after being warned.

G.Barber
Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used 4 and 6 cell 5000 ma packs for many years with great success. Zippy and Turningy, but most are Zippy. No complaints.

Gerry
PS; I had 2 issues with HK, in one instance they send one battery short, in the other the battery arrived dead. In both cases they solved the problem really fast using the claim form on line.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, I've restored this thread. But let me put out a warning here. The bickering with each other had better stop right now. Geoff warned you all about it and you all thought you could just ignore him and continue. I assure you that you WILL NOT ignore me and continue this childish little spat that you have going on here. If I see it continue those doing it can be assured of a some time sitting in corner in a time out. I won't tolerate. So you make the choice as to what you want to do, but please don't doubt that I will take actions here.

Ken
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 PM
byrne1157

I have used several different brands, and considering murphy's law, the fact that they are made by humans, and the actions of reckless,inconsiderate electrons, I have had a couple of them puff after only a couple of cycles, others have one cell go doa, requiring me to dissect, and rebuild the remainder into something useable. I won't badmouth one, or praise another. Too many variables. Do any of you break-in your batteries?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 AM
bikerbc

How do you break in a battery ?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:38 AM
byrne1157

Recommend Care of Your Lipo Packs
1> First/Second/Third/Fourth usage beginning with first charge; Break-in your new
packs- Each new Lipo pack uses a chemical inhibitor that maintains voltage from the
manufacturer. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you charge your packs according
to specifications and instructions for your Lipo pack and quality Lipo charger. Discharge
your pack for no more than a total of (4) four minutes during the first (4) first discharge
operation cycles keeping discharge rates to a minimum between 3-6C. Rest the pack for
a total of (4) four minutes and operate/discharge again for (2) two minutes. Repeat this
process at least four times. Recharge and take note of AMPS put back into the pack.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:47 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not paid hobby store prices for lipos in years. Going there to pay double or triple is not a good use of my hobby dollars.

I have been using NanoTech with excellent results. I buy the highest discharge rate that I can get.. usually 65-130C Yes I don't believe those C ratings, but I do think there is a difference as you step down.

My NanoTechs are likely your Zippy batteries... as said before... only a couple of plants in the world produce the things and everyone slaps their label on to claim it for themselves.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

My Zippys are great, still strong after plenty flights.
I have a bunch of LiPos and LiFes from HK, I had no problems with them at all.
And the c ratings are very optimistic on most batteries. Come to think about it - 30c means your battery is used up in 2 minutes...do you really need that? I don't
Old 06-22-2013, 04:10 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

their a decent low power set up batt for the price. sometimes you do get a pack though. its a risk you take.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 AM
Rob2160

I have a number of them and they a powerful and reliable.

They perform better in my Stryker F27Q than any other 3S battery I have tried..

I like them very much and great value from Hobbyking.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

+1
Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have used HK batteries for a couple years now. I have enough faith in them that I only run one for Rx and Ign. And as in the pic, my planes are far from cheap in money and/or my time.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 PM
byrne1157

Use of a watt meter should tell you the max amps you are pulling from the battery. Do the simple math and you will see how close to the "c" rating it really is. You just might be surprised...
Old 06-27-2013, 02:25 PM
DenverJayhawk

i have 4 zippy 3s 2200s 25c for my 48" DW Foamie and they work great. Not a problem. I also have some small Nanos and they are great too. Then i have several 4s 4000 25 Gens Ace and they too are great. I've also used valuehobby's 3s 1300 and 3s 1000s and they are starting to get worn. But they are the oldest batts I own with the most cycles.

Bottom line is i've had good luck with all the chinese brand lipos.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM
jester_s1

"C" ratings are a total crock. At a 10C draw, you'll get about 6 minutes of flight time before you're deadstick. Yes, a high powered plane might run at 15C to even 20C for a few seconds for a hot pass or to pull a vertical line, but that's about it. Most of us run our batteries at 5C-7C average, so it really doesn't matter at all if the manufacturer claims 40C performance. What does matter is internal resistance, which is what made my set of Zippys unusable pretty fast. I don't have the equipment to do a scientific test, but I do have a tachometer that told me I went from 20,500 rpm on my Stryker with newly broken in batteries to 18,100 rpm after about 30 cycles. It made the difference between being able to hand launch easily in nearly any wind conditions to not being able to at all unless there was a strong head wind. Heli head speed suffered similar performance losses using the same batteries. All my Zippys still cycle tested fine for capacity, but the change in the internal resistance made them as good as dead for my applications. I replaced them with Power Wing batteries that were a little over double the price, and got 21k rpm with new batteries and still do about about 50 cycles. Double the price for (so far and counting) double the life and better performance to boot is a good value IMO.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 PM
byrne1157

Ok, here is the simple math for simple people (like me) 
 2200mah= 2.2 amp hours (means the battery will last 1 hour at 2.2 amp draw.
25c= charge/discharge rate. 50c=max charge/discharge rate. (in a perfect world, of course)
2.2 x 25 = 55amps Perfect world discharge rate

Using a wattmeter (anyone serious about the hobby should have one for setup purposes), you can get an amperage readout while running your motor/prop combo, and see if you are getting near to the advertised rates, and if you are near to burning your esc, or motor. 
 I always figure out what the weight of the plane is, how I intend to fly it, what wattage I need to fly that way. Then I figure out what battery I need to attain said wattage. That tells me what esc, and motor I need to operate at those levels, then I prop it to the level I want.
 So, a 2lb plane, at 150 watts per lb, =300watts. 300watts divided by 11.1, (a 3s battery)= 27.07 amps. lets say, 27.07 amps divided by 20c=1.35 amp hours=1350mah . So, in a perfect world, I would need a 1350 mah, 20c, 3s battery, a 30 amp esc, and a motor that can withstand 300watts/30  amps, and prop it accordingly.
 Just saying that the "c"ratings are a bunch of crap doesn't work in my world. Get a meter and prove it.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:41 AM
jester_s1

I do use a meter. My point was that if one actually approaches the C ratings that manufacturers love to brag about, the practical value of the power system is lost. Internal resistance however is a useful number that lets us compare the quality of our batteries.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 AM
t-max97

''C'' ratings are a total crock. At a 10C draw, you'll get about 6 minutes of flight time before you're deadstick. Yes, a high powered plane might run at 15C to even 20C for a few seconds for a hot pass or to pull a vertical line, but that's about it. Most of us run our batteries at 5C-7C average, so it really doesn't matter at all if the manufacturer claims 40C performance. What does matter is internal resistance, which is what made my set of Zippys unusable pretty fast. I don't have the equipment to do a scientific test, but I do have a tachometer that told me I went from 20,500 rpm on my Stryker with newly broken in batteries to 18,100 rpm after about 30 cycles. It made the difference between being able to hand launch easily in nearly any wind conditions to not being able to at all unless there was a strong head wind. Heli head speed suffered similar performance losses using the same batteries. All my Zippys still cycle tested fine for capacity, but the change in the internal resistance made them as good as dead for my applications. I replaced them with Power Wing batteries that were a little over double the price, and got 21k rpm with new batteries and still do about about 50 cycles. Double the price for (so far and counting) double the life and better performance to boot is a good value IMO.
What??? C is the discharge rate of the battery, calculated by the capacity of the battery, "10C" could be 1 amp or 100000000amps depending on the battery. The C rating doesn't reflect what a motor draws, how did you come up with all that?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

i have 4 zippy 3s 2200s 25c for my 48'' DW Foamie and they work great. Not a problem. I also have some small Nanos and they are great too. Then i have several 4s 4000 25 Gens Ace and they too are great. I've also used valuehobby's 3s 1300 and 3s 1000s and they are starting to get worn. But they are the oldest batts I own with the most cycles.

Bottom line is i've had good luck with all the chinese brand lipos.
All lipo's are Chinese.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.