Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

rebuild or go with new frame??

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

rebuild or go with new frame??

Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Roshaanb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild or go with new frame??

Hi,
Im new to RC airplanes.
I found an old P51 mustang with a supertigre g2300 and partly-wrecked dog fighter (OS LA .15) with some parts for a good price so I bought it....
While my glow plug heater charged... I took the engines off to inspect them.
The OS LA .15 had minor scoring on the cylinder walls and the super tigre has very significant scoring. I do think they will both run but none start by hand.... I have to use the starting motor thing.
I got the OS LA .15 to run good except that it spray a lot of fuel from both carb and exhaust...Im assuming this is normal.
As I have never flown an RC plane or helicopter and neither have seen anyone fly one close up, I intend to fix the little .15 plane first to practice on and then use the G2300 P51.
TBH, the dogfighter seems to have been built by a kid...lots and lots of glue with parts out of alignment and it's very roughly put together.
Im not sure if I should rebuild it or if I should just go with another frame.
Could you please recommend a 0.15 engine sized push prop kit or kit with large wings?
I would like to build something that could support FPV in the future and would prefer starting with the .15 engine unless its not powerful enough in which case I would go with the G2300 supertigre.
I was told it could go 200mph...I think realistically it would be more like 180-200km/hr which still gets me hesitant to mess with it.
and...If I relocate the fuel tank and servo's to the rear end, would it help set up the weight distribution so that the plane could glide easier if the engine fails?
also...the P51 mustang with the G2300 seems much more front heavy than the OS LA .15 dogfighter. Is the G2300 too heavy for this frame?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:39 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: rebuild or go with new frame??

Best advice I would offer is to find a local R/C radio control club and introduce yourself. Trying to learn R/C flying on your own can be a very frustrating hating and expensive experience. Both models that you have shared here do not offer a stable platform that offers the ideal environment for learning to fly radio control airplanes...

just my 2cents worth...

Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 AM
koastrc

Tim is right. There is no short cut to success. There is a short cut to failure. The best shot at learning this sport is a local group. There is always a few folks willing to share what they have learned. Like Tim pointed out. This can be a frustrating and expensive experience. Take the road to success. Find a group or club.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Go with a good solid trainer, the little plane is junk and not worthy of rebuild and even if you did it is not for a beginner. The ST is a G 51, not a 2300 which I have had both. The 2000-3000 series engines are large. Your G 51 is a good engine if in
good working order. It sounds like someone ran both lean...........
The Mustang is not suitable for a beginner but would be fun after you reach that stage where you can control a fast responsive model. I have seen some nice planes end up totaled by beginners who refused sound advice!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 AM
jester_s1

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The OS LA .15 had minor scoring on the cylinder walls and the super tigre has very significant scoring. I do think they will both run but none start by hand.... I have to use the starting motor thing.
It's normal for beginners to not know how to prime an engine properly for them to start by hand. For that matter, it's common for pilots with 10 years of experience to not know how because nearly all of us use electric starters these days. I'm curious what you are calling scoring though. Faint vertical lines aren't normally a problem, but if you really do have significant scoring these those engines may be ruined. The ST in particular since it's a ringed engine may be damaged too much to be fixed. But if they have decent compression and will maintain a reliable idle, then they'll work for flying.

I got the OS LA .15 to run good except that it spray a lot of fuel from both carb and exhaust...Im assuming this is normal.
Without knowing what your definition of "a lot" is, it's hard to say. Most any glow engine will spit some oil from the exhaust, and most will spit a little bit of fuel out of the carb at idle. But a steady spray means that you are tuned too rich. Do a search for "engine tuning" here and learn about how to tweak the needle valves to get the engine to run right.

TBH, the dogfighter seems to have been built by a kid...lots and lots of glue with parts out of alignment and it's very roughly put together.
Im not sure if I should rebuild it or if I should just go with another frame.
Trash it. It was built badly to start with, and it's been beat up since then. It probably sustained all its damage because it was built wrong, and if you fix it it will still be built wrong and will be heavier to boot. Take everything off of it that you think you'll ever be able to use and throw it away.

Could you please recommend a 0.15 engine sized push prop kit or kit with large wings? I would like to build something that could support FPV in the future and would prefer starting with the .15 engine unless its not powerful enough in which case I would go with the G2300 supertigre.
Pushers aren't for beginners. I just built a Sig Wonder which is a nice flying sport plane. It's not a beginner plane, but would serve to give you your speed fix when you're past the beginner stage as a pilot. The Great Planes PT-20 would be an appropriate trainer plane to fly with that .15. The Super Tigre G51 (a 2300 is a much bigger engine) is appropriate for any of the .40 size trainers and sport planes on the market. Being bigger and easier to see along with being better in the wind, they are the preferred route for beginner planes. And yes, a .40 size trainer could easily take the weight of a FPV setup later on if you want to do that.

and...If I relocate the fuel tank and servo's to the rear end, would it help set up the weight distribution so that the plane could glide easier if the engine fails?
No. You relocate things in order to get the right CG for the plane's design. You never move a fuel tank back because the longer lines will cause the engine to go lean at the very worst moments. Sometimes with a heavy engine you do need to move servos back to get the CG right, but it's never about improving the glide. It's always about improving the general flight characteristics of the plane so that it handles like it is supposed to.

And on a personal note, welcome to the hobby. You'll have a lot of fun if you travel the beaten path of trainer planes and instructors, preferably in a club setting so that you'll have an abundance of guys to ask questions to. Your club fees and AMA membership will pay for itself many times over in saved airframes and time spent doing repairs because of rookie mistakes. That Mustang can be lots of fun once you have basic piloting skills down, maybe as a third plane. The standard progression is trainer, then sport plane (Ugly Sticks and 4 Stars are about as perfect as it gets for this category) and then scale or aerobatic planes. Take your time, ask questions, and listen to the voice of experience and you'll do fine.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM
carrellh

The MAAC http://www.maac.ca is the Canadian equivalent of the AMA. You can use the site to locate flying sites and clubs in your area as well as getting info about possible regulations and restrictions on RC modeling.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM
carrellh

There is a 'sticky' at the top of the beginners forum with a link to www.gettingairborne.com which has a lot of info to help you get started.