Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New RC Universe

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New RC Universe

Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM
kwblake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RC Universe

OK. So, there are going to be some bugs, and some growing pains, with the NEW RC Universe, but for me, the world is not going to explode. For some others, that will not accept change............. BOOM !!!!!!! I really like this new format. It looks really fresh. I LIKE THIS.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you
a couple bugs, but so far nothing lost! let's get this baby going ;D
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I suppose everybody but me knows how to separate a paragraph but me? The enter button does not drop the line down and I can only just write continuous one sentence after the other with no paragraphs, Ugly. Can,t even drop down my signature, Uglier. John
Old 08-06-2013, 04:14 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reply format and tool bar/box across the top will take some getting used to.

I miss the old "emoticons". The new ones are nowhere near as easy to make out nor as expressive.

Miss the member "score" as well. Always made it easy to determine whether or not an unfamiliar poster was well respected or not.

I have always enjoyed RCU and even though it's hard for an old dog to learn new tricks I'm going to continue to enjoy my favorite forum!!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have been happier if it didn't look exactly like RCGroups

RCU just looked different it was tighter and cleaner, its a visual thing and it may be a tec. upgrade, but so far nothing really that special has happened, I would have been more impressed if it was more user friendly so far not so much, we shall see
Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you type one line I get to look at two vertical inches of white space because of the space on the left listing location posts etc. in an other than compact fashion. Cut the left font down and get rid of the lines around the info. I'm getting carpal tunnel back scrolling through this.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Other than that I cannot use My Forums it's not so bad. Trying that I show as not logged in, but when I try and log in it takes me to my profile - which shows me as logged in and won't allow me to log out (404 error). Catch 22.

So I have to poke through all forums to be able to post. Does the same thing from work (Windows XP) or home (Windows Vista).
Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
Other than that I cannot use My Forums it's not so bad. Trying that I show as not logged in, but when I try and log in it takes me to my profile - which shows me as logged in and won't allow me to log out (404 error). Catch 22.

So I have to poke through all forums to be able to post. Does the same thing from work (Windows XP) or home (Windows Vista).
The programmers are working on the login issues.

As far as the "My Forums" go, please check again. Click on "My Forums" and it should bring up your settings with a listing of Subscribed threads with new posts, scroll down below that and you should see your "Subscribed Forums" listing

Ken
Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 AM
JohnBuckner

OK so it must be possible to make multiple paragraphs because I have seen one or two posters replay that way such as you just did RCKen with your two paragraph reply above. I suppose I am stupid but this is ridiculous only being able to make a single paragraph reply and not even being able to drop down my signature as you also just did. It may seem not a big thing to you fellows but it pretty much eliminates any thing beyond a one liner for me and ruins the forum. John
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
OK so it must be possible to make multiple paragraphs because I have seen one or two posters replay that way such as you just did RCKen with your two paragraph reply above. I suppose I am stupid but this is ridiculous only being able to make a single paragraph reply and not even being able to drop down my signature as you also just did. It may seem not a big thing to you fellows but it pretty much eliminates any thing beyond a one liner for me and ruins the forum. John
John,
I am using the quick reply and as you can see, I can create new lines and/or paragraphs with the editor by just hitting the enter key.

new paragraph

new paragraph

go to your settings and then select "General Settings". scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for the message editor interface. Check to see if the "Enhanced interface" is selected on the editor.

Give this a try and see if you can now use the enter key while editing.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 AM
JohnBuckner

OK Thanks I just did give it a try and no joy. The enhanced interface is on and still cannot get a drop down with the 'enter key'. John
Old 08-07-2013, 10:37 AM
AMA 74894

new one

another new paragraph

test

test

test
Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 AM
AMA 74894

I'm NOT Mocking you John, just trying to duplicate...
I can't make my enter key NOT work... I'm just typing in the quick reply box and hitting the enter key at the end of a test paragraph.

another test

new paragraph

with only the basic editor turned on

test
Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

this new fourm really sinks ,dont like change ,its a old folk thing
Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM
fredsedno

Rc Ken,
IF IT AIN"T BROKE, DON"T FIX IT!
Sorry but this site now looks like every other rc site. Will make my wife happy as I won't be spending as much time on the computer.
Takes longer to navigate. fredsedno
Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 PM
goirish

can't get mine to wok. I can't receive any post
Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

OK Thanks I just did give it a try and no joy. The enhanced interface is on and still cannot get a drop down with the 'enter key'. John
John,
what browser are you using to access RCU?? have you tried a different browser??

I'm not mocking you or trying to lessen your problem, but rather trying to get to the root of the problem so that we can get it solved for you.

Ken
Old 08-07-2013, 02:18 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken when is the subscription link coming online?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:21 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by fredsedno
Rc Ken,
IF IT AIN"T BROKE, DON"T FIX IT!
Sorry but this site now looks like every other rc site. Will make my wife happy as I won't be spending as much time on the computer.
Takes longer to navigate. fredsedno
Unfortunately the old software that ran RCU was broken. First off, the company that wrote that software went out of business years ago, so there have been no updates or support for that software. Second, the previous owner of RCU highly modified the software to the point that it was almost impossible for anybody else to do anything in the software. Every time our programmers tried to do something with the old software, something else would break. That caused many many issues that affected the operation of RCU.

RCU was purchased by Internet Brands 2 years ago, and luckily IB owns vBulletin (the software that we upgraded to). There are many functions in vBulletin that the old software didn't have (and never would because of the company going out of business). By moving us to vBulletin we are now in a position to grow and expand to areas that we never could of with our old software. So while many may say "if it's not broke don't fix it" I can tell you from my standpoint that RCU was broke, and this is a much needed fix. I do appreciate that there are some issues with members feeling a bit lost with the new software, but I can tell you that the first time that I looked at it I didn't really like it either. However, now that I've spent time with it (we have been beta testing the new platform for a couple of months) I can tell you that I really do like the new platform. I think that after members have spent some time here they will start to appreciate the features we have. Now that doesn't mean that we won't listen to members either. We will be listening to all of you and if there are things we can do to help make this feel better and more familiar we will definitely do it. So please let us know what you think and what you want to help make RCU better.

Ken
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by acerc
Ken when is the subscription link coming online?

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here. What you mean by the "subscription link"??

Ken
Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
JohnBuckner

Thanks guys and I do realize you are trying to help. I have tried it on my old machine which I hardly use anymore and discovered the enter button does work on that computer with this new forum but it does not work with my laptop whereas it formerly did work. I imagine it is related to the browser thing but here is my problem, I have no idea what browser or would know how to change it. I do believe they are different browsers though. Yes, I have been communicating on this medium for a long time but computer speak remains a mystery to me. John
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

The regular enter is working for me just in the quick reply box as well John.

Sometimes you can do a Ctrl-Enter, an Alt-Enter or a Shift-Enter like an old "carriage return". Try that and see what you get.

I'm using the Chrome browser on the Linux OS.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Thanks guys and I do realize you are trying to help. I have tried it on my old machine which I hardly use anymore and discovered the enter button does work on that computer with this new forum but it does not work with my laptop whereas it formerly did work. I imagine it is related to the browser thing but here is my problem, I have no idea what browser or would know how to change it. I do believe they are different browsers though. Yes, I have been communicating on this medium for a long time but computer speak remains a mystery to me. John
John,
If you don't know what browser you have then more than likely it's going to be Internet Explorer. Do you click on a big blue "E" to launch your browser??

Anyway, probably the best thing to do to resolve your issue is to submit a bug report on it to our programmers. If you go to the link below you will be able to submit a bug report that will go to our programmers, and then they can hopefully solve your issue.

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forum-questions-problems-239/11584402-report-bugs-new-vbulletin-forum-here-6.html
Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 AM
chopper man

Sadly I don't like the new forum. A lot like the other and because of the look/difficulty to navigate I just don't go there. Like so many others I don't like change and when change takes place and things are worst that's not good. We will see. I will try to get use to the whole new thing.

gene
Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 AM
AMA 74894

John, at the very least you're not the only one with this issue, it has been reported as a bug by another member...
That being said, you can certainly pm me if you'd like and I can walk you through checking which browser you use, etc.
I'm pretty sure I owe you one. ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.