Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

35 inch rc plane camera turret.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

35 inch rc plane camera turret.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Next edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 inch rc plane camera turret.

Could I use ch5 to work a camera turret or will that only allow the camera to turn the one direction,and then maybe use the 6th ch to turn it back?.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1986464  

Last edited by Next edition; 04-12-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:48 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Every channel goes both directions. It's the same as your elevator- if it's channel 1, that channel controls movement in both directions. Is your channel 5 a knob or a switch? So what plane, camera, and turret are you planning to use? This stuff has been done a lot, so there is quite a bit of knowledge around about what works and what doesn't.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Next edition

The planes a 35 inch german 109 and the cameras 5.8ghz system off a hubsan heli,I was just planning on cutting sqaure out and placing servo in there and mounting the camera straight on top of servo arm and making some sorta cage for it.

my controllers channels are switches but they are like an on/off switch so would they just turn left and right because theres no middle stop between them.

its got a 30a brushless setup on it bit Im going to get a 60a combo for it thats not overkill is it?either way ill try it anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	595.2 KB
ID:	1986711  

Last edited by Next edition; 04-13-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 AM
jester_s1

That's probably a bad choice for FPV. Most warbirds have pretty minimal wings, so the added weight of the camera is going to make flying that much harder. No, more power won't fix that. On the unrelated issue of doubling the power, it's a bad idea. You'll add weight with the bigger batteries that you'll need, and you'll be overpropped and over powered. That will make torque and P factor issues worse and depended on how the plane is built, may wind up causing a structural failure. Let the warbird be what it is- a fun sport model. If you want a camera plane, you need a stable and lightly loaded model that can tolerate some extra weight.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Next edition

Ive already seen this model flying with a fpv setup thats why I aint asking if it works because I already know it does,and they dont have problems climbing and gliding im going to be using 3s lipo so ill see how it goes still waiting on batteries in the mail.

Last edited by Next edition; 04-14-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM
jester_s1

Sounds like you know everything then. Good luck with it.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Next edition

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Sounds like you know everything then. Good luck with it.
And heres why I only like advice from people who have actually done it and not speculative assumptions.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:27 AM
opjose

Jester has quite extensive experience.

He may not have your particular plane, but he is experienced with using MUCH BETTER hardware than what you are employing.

His point is valid and is neither speculative nor an assumption.

Simply because you've seen someone else do it, does that mean that YOU know what you are doing given your questions, nor whom you should blow off.

When you ask for help, be careful not to bite the offered hand.

Last edited by opjose; 04-18-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Next edition

Originally Posted by opjose
Jester has quite extensive experience.

He may not have your particular plane, but he is experienced with using MUCH BETTER hardware than what you are employing.

His point is valid and is neither speculative nor an assumption.

Simply because you've seen someone else do it, does that mean that YOU know what you are doing given your questions, nor whom you should blow off.

When you ask for help, be careful not to bite the offered hand.
So what im the bad guy because I cant afford the MUCH BETTER stuff I only asked about the channels on the controller and if anyones used 60 amp setup on the same sized plane and seeing is beleiving and when people use words like probably thats speculating,and its not involved science pleassee.

Last edited by Next edition; 04-18-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:25 AM
jester_s1

You can't tell guys like this anything, opjose. He's already decided what he's going to do so leave him alone.

As for the questions you asked, I answered them too. Don't expect any more help though without a change in your attitude.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:51 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to pipe in on friday, but resisted the temptation
To the OP, I would have answered in much the same manner as jester did.
you've posted a question in a beginner's forum, a question which clearly shows you're not familiar with the equipment we use.
since you're unfamiliar with the equipment, I assumed (as I'm sure Jester did) that you're relatively new to the sport.
the airplane you're trying to stuff a camera into is simply not a good platform for a beginning flyer.
is it POSSIBLE to put a camera in a 35" span ME109 foamy? yes it's possible.
is it a GOOD IDEA? very likely NOT for a novice pilot.

would a novice pilot know this isn't a great airframe for this? probably not.

we would be remiss if we failed to point out the obvious to you, and I know it wasn't anyone's intent to offend you.

Hope you get it worked out and go have some FUN with that thing
Old 04-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Next edition

Originally Posted by jester_s1
You can't tell guys like this anything, opjose. He's already decided what he's going to do so leave him alone.

As for the questions you asked, I answered them too. Don't expect any more help though without a change in your attitude.
Who said I wanted your advice its an open forum one can state things but unless theyve actually done it with the relative dimensions given the plane its going to be speculating otherwise.

now its flying very well of my own account my cousins using it to hunt deer at the moment and ill post pics when it gets back and hopefully his catch.

since now ive seen how it all worked out I probably wont be asking for info anymore anyway.

Last edited by Next edition; 04-22-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:47 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Next edition
Who said I wanted your advice its an open forum one can state things but unless theyve actually done it with the relative dimensions given the plane its going to be speculating otherwise.

now its flying very well of my own account my cousins using it to hunt deer at the moment and ill post pics when it gets back and hopefully his catch.

since now ive seen how it all worked out I probably wont be asking for info anymore anyway.
I'm pretty sure that if you read your original post, you'd see that you were asking for our advice.
The laws of physics are exactly that, physical laws and not speculation.
ANY airplane will fly better if it's lighter. adding weight to ANY airplane WILL make that airplane not fly as well as it would if it were not carrying the extra weight of a camera.
you'll need to take up any further argument with Mr. Newton.

I'd like to offer one last piece of information that you're very likely not aware of:
Using a UAV for the purposes of hunting is Illegal in Alaska.
(I'm not saying that you're in Alaska, but IF you are, then this is not an appropriate thing to do.)
further, I'd highly recommend you check with your state's DNR to make sure you stay legal.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 AM
opjose

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
Using a UAV for the purposes of hunting is Illegal in Alaska.
(I'm not saying that you're in Alaska, but IF you are, then this is not an appropriate thing to do.)
further, I'd highly recommend you check with your state's DNR to make sure you stay legal.
It is also illegal in other states. Colorado and a few others now have laws on the books, while many other states are also drafting legislation.

That also violates AMA rules and therefore new FAA mandates & regulation.

Hunting groups are also largely against it too, particularly those who are good stewards of the land.

I would think that it is not very smart to post such activities on a forum, especially to a site dedicated to the safety of the hobby.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM
jester_s1

This kid doesn't care about any of that. He'll never pay an AMA fee or maintain any other kind of insurance, he'll never think about how his actions affect others who do this hobby, and if he does get in trouble, he probably expect his mom to pay the fines. It won't be his problem. He'll do what he's already decided to do and he'll crash his plane soon enough and be out of the hobby. And when he does, it will be everybody's fault but his. I just hope he doesn't hurt anybody or ruin an activity for someone else.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Next edition

That doesnt apply here in new zealand,and weve mastered flying it and having a ball.