Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Motorized Sailplane motor/esc advice needed (pics)

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Motorized Sailplane motor/esc advice needed (pics)

Old 07-18-2014, 09:06 PM
mitchcarbide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorized Sailplane motor/esc advice needed (pics)

Hello everyone,

I'm getting into RC airplanes again and have had fun flying my motorized 2m sailplane. It is an ancient Thunder Tiger polyhedral balsa sailplane. Long ago, I added a 550 size brushed motor and 8x4 folding prop. I recently added a more modern 7 cell NiMH pack and get about 30 minutes of flight time.

It actually flies great, but the motor is lethargic to say the least. Since the airframe and flying style is actually just fine for me, I want to upgrade it using parts that I can also use in a new plane down the line. I've researched extensively before making this thread, but still have a couple questions.

I like the new Spektrum DX6 controller with AR610 receiver. All the reviews are great. So that's probably what I'll be controlling it with. I'd also like to use my NiMH battery at least for a while since I just bought it. My budget is not unlimited

I am mostly having trouble deciding what motor and ESC to use for this particular arrangement. Inrunner? Outrunner? Why? Any guidance here would be great. Also, any general comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:37 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is rather coincidental because I've just decided to get back into motorised gliders after about a 40 year lay off. I need a trainer type to begin with and then somerthing a little better once I'm confident I can fly again. With all my researching I've decided on both types and, as coincidence would have it, both use the Spectrum Rx and Tx so I've gone for the DX6 which comes with the AR610 receiver. I'd better say right now that I know nothing about electronics so any advice here comes straight from what I've gleaned from researching.

In your case the main thing with this Spektrum system is that if you want to use the AS3X function then you need their special servos because normal servos can't handle the continuous jiggling the system gives to them. I'd assume that without using the AS3X then normal servos are fine. As for the motor and ESC, others will advise I'm sure but the model I'm getting is the Adagio 280 so I'd suggest the same motor and ESC would be suitable. Check the specs because they don't mean much to me .
Old 07-19-2014, 09:30 PM
mitchcarbide

Great! Maybe we can both get some help then.

I've been doing a ton of research since posting this, and now have a much better idea about how to match motors, props, and batteries. I guess my main issue is finding the one that would be best for THIS plane in particular. It appears that any motor/esc combo that I go with that will also utilize my 7 cell nimh and 8x4 prop is not optimum for this size aircraft. I'm willing to accept this as long as it performs better and quieter than the brushed motor I currently have. It seems that is a given with these new brushless motors. I measured the dimensions of the current motor to be 3.15mm shaft, 36mm diameter, and 57mm length, to give you an idea of the size.

It would seem that an inrunner motor would be a direct drop-in, but all info points to inrunners being used for electric ducted fans and very small propellers only. So, I will probbaly have to modify my mount and use a 36mm-ish outrunner.

Like you, further research keeps leading me back to the DX6 radio. It seems to be a great package. There are a few other similarly packaged options from Futaba and Airtronics, so I guess it's a matter of preference.

I looked into the AS3X thing. Looks like that's only a feature on select receivers, the AR610 not included.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:15 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I got a DX6 radio a few weeks ago and have been studying it. It is a beauty. I got it to complement my DX9 which is really something. Presently, I have a Radian Pro from Parkzone and have been studying the programming. This is not easy. One thing I would add, in your search for an ESC, look for one that is easy to program. If you use a folding prop, you need to have the brake come on so the prop folds. I have ESC's from Castle with the programming card, also one from Hobby People with card and Quite a few from EFlite. They require programming via "stick-wiggling". It's all in the instructions.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrMulligan
I have a Radian Pro from Parkzone
I'm also going for the Radian but just the basic PNP version because the DX6 Tx comes with the AR610 Rx so I'll use that in the Radian. The Adagio 280 that I'll also be getting comes fitted with an AR6335 Rx which is set up for AS3X. As for the rest of the electrick thingies, I'll just use whatever is either installed or recommended cos I knows nuffink about that stuff .
Old 07-22-2014, 05:33 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What is it that you feel you're getting from the DX6i that other makers don't give you? The AS3X is a waste on a 3 channel glider. It's helpful on the micro planes to smooth out the flying a bit, but that's all. The only advantage to buying Spektrum radios is that so many bind and fly planes are made for it. They'll save you about $10 each over buying a receiver ready plane and installing your own receiver, and then there are the ultra micros that have the Spektrum receiver integrated into their circuit boards.