Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass cloth strength.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fiberglass cloth strength.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:51 AM
swampyankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass cloth strength.

Question; how much strength is added to 1/16th balsa sheet once it has been glassed with the proper weight fiberglass?

Specific area of a/c this question relates to; the over hang of the wing/stab skin in relation to the control surfaces. The particular area in question, the area where the stab meets the elevator. (I haven't gotten to studying the aerilons yet but I suspect its the same issue.)

Concern; the balsa/fiberglass combination overhanging the space where the wing and control surfaces meet isn't hard enough to stand up to an oh oh moment.

My solution, to add a thin strip of light ply of the same thickness along the trailing edge of the skin so that the portion of the stab that overhangs the elevator joint has stiffer wood under the glass.

Experience with fiberglass; the same as my experience with Bondo. I have a feeling it isn't quite the same in this hobby as it is in the other.

Am I off my rocker and making a big ado about nothing?

A/C; A6m Zero "Hamp"
Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

If you are referring to the "scale" pocket at the trailing edge of the wing/stab that the leading edge of aileron/elevator hides in, then 1/16" balsa with .5 or .75 oz fiberglass cloth isn't going to stand up well. Under pressure, the balsa can crack at the trailing edge of the wing/stab. Most people sand a lip into the trailing edge and install a strip of 1/64 ply or thin G10 like fliteskin (could be 1/32 depending on the scale of the plane ) flush with the 1/16" wing skin. If I recall, I used to use a strip on the order of 1/2" wide, 1/4" overlapping the wing and 1/4" overhang.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:12 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a strip of 1/64 ply for the overhang. I cut a strip about 3/8 wide and glue it on with 1/8 overhang. I sand a recess into the wing sheeting using a custom made sanding block.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:46 PM
swampyankee

Just the answers I was looking for, thanks.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:46 AM
stevegauth30

i agree with the above posts. The .75 OZ. glass cloth wont really add much in the way of strength. When we glass warbirds and such its only to make a good surface to paint on. Not really for strength. I like to use carbon fiber for hinge pockets but the ply will do the same thing.