Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

help with take off (power related)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

help with take off (power related)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:24 AM
cyclopops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with take off (power related)

Just got a second hand parkzone spitfire XI.
It was a little bust up but got it sorted structurally, however I don't have enough power to takeoff it has the standard motor etc and a 2200 25c lipo.
See video for the issue.

https://youtu.be/rqaFuGCFBa4
Old 10-20-2015, 09:27 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like a broken motor. It will probably lock up soon. It could be a bad ESC alternately.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 AM
cyclopops

Someone has suggested the motor is spinning the wrong way, is that a possibility looking at the video? (Should it spin clockwise?)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:51 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclopops
Someone has suggested the motor is spinning the wrong way, is that a possibility looking at the video? (Should it spin clockwise?)

Yes its a possibility but after looking very closely at that few seconds of video I believe that is not the problem but an even more common mistake and that is I think its likely that you have installed the propeller upside down or backwards if you will. When this happens the air will still flow in the normal direction but with a major loss in thrust.

I believe this because the trailing edge of the prop is all wrong in that moment when prop is stopped Agine still pictures are better but what the heck pop the prop nut off and turn it around and try agine. You will instantly know if its backwards or not.

John
Old 10-20-2015, 12:19 PM
cyclopops

The manual says have the numbers (size of prop) on outside which I made sure of.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK very hard to tell from that video. I don,t understand your last comment about the numbers should be on the outside? Normally the numbers on a prop face 'forward' in the direction of flight. As a double check the rotation of the motor normally is clockwise when viewed as if you are in the cockpit.

John
Old 10-20-2015, 01:33 PM
jester_s1

On second look, I also think it looks like the prop is on backwards. It's easy to get right- the rounded edge goes into the airflow, and the sharp edge goes away from the airflow. It does still sound like your motor is bad though.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:58 PM
cyclopops

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
OK very hard to tell from that video. I don,t understand your last comment about the numbers should be on the outside? Normally the numbers on a prop face 'forward' in the direction of flight. As a double check the rotation of the motor normally is clockwise when viewed as if you are in the cockpit.

John
prop is correct way, and just installed a new motor, and tried a different speed controller, and its still the same. however with the prop off the motor seems fine, so it seems the issue is when under load
any more suggestions?
could it be battery related?
Old 10-22-2015, 01:50 PM
jester_s1

It could be. An old battery will have a high internal resistance, so its voltage will sag under load.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 AM
600Bob

It looks like the prop is on backwards to me also, at least none of mine are on that way and they all fly OK.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:53 AM
600Bob

Originally Posted by cyclopops
The manual says have the numbers (size of prop) on outside which I made sure of.
Manuals have been wrong. Not all props are labeled the same. I look at the props airfoil not the numbers.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:36 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fact that the motor is pulseing indicates the motor is going bad. You should have smoothe constant power from off to full throttle even if the propeller is on backwards.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:53 PM
XMech2k
My Feedback: (2)

Cyclopops, do you have a battery checker that plus into the balance plug of the battery? If so, carefully plug it in and do that run up (with a fully charged battery) and see if the battery voltage sags considerably. Best if the battery checker can show individual cell voltages, but whatever you've got. This should help rule out the battery.

Also,it doesn't look exactly like what I've seen from a broken wire between esc and motor, but you should check for good connections there.

I didn't notice clicking or rubbing noises in the video, but a loose magnet in the motor can cause trouble too.

Seeing as you already tried replacing the motor and esc, that leaves the battery pretty much.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:12 PM
cyclopops

Update

Got a new battery and all is good with the motor

however on my second attempt at fight it didnt start well, I went for take-off it did a nose down into the grass and the ESC went up in flames but I managed to get it sorted before any damage was done to anything else, so put in a spare ESC and all is well again.

can I ask, how do I best stop the spitfire from doing a nose down when first spinning up?? is it just a simple case of putting the battery a little further back?
where is the best place to hold the plane for checking its COG?
Old 10-25-2015, 01:37 PM
XMech2k

For a low wing, balance it upside down, one finger on either side of the fuselage. Yeah, tail draggers and grass are a tough combo. There's a fine balance between holding up elevator at the start of the takeoff, to keep it from nosing over, and releasing it before the plane takes off too early and then stalls and crashes. Hope this isn't your first plane!
Old 10-25-2015, 01:57 PM
cyclopops

[QUOTE=XMech2k;12118014Hope this isn't your first plane![/QUOTE]

yes it is my fist plane, I was given it and it was a bit beaten up, so have had to repair bits of it.

so apart from the cost of a motor and battery it doesnt stand me at much financially. (except for a Parkzone radian glider which was also given to me a couple of years ago)
I have been a Heli flyer for a few years tho

Last edited by cyclopops; 10-25-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:52 PM
XMech2k

Good. If you're good at helicopters, planes shouldn't be a tough jump. A warbird isn't the best to begin with, but at least you're not at square one. Good luck!
Old 10-27-2015, 01:15 PM
cyclopops

managed to get out this morning with it.
got her into the air with no drama, so long as I give it full throttle until in the air, she was a little tail heavy so will adjust for next flight.
my first landing was ok, but overshot a little whilst on the wheels and ended up in some tall grass, but with very little speed so no damage.
second landing was a little rushed as a dog walker came onto the field so i wanted it down ASAP, no not the smoothest landing and just before the stop it nosed into the grass with the guns and snapped them, but no other damage.

its looks fantastic in the air with very smooth controls making my novice plane flying looks easy.