Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help with magnum xl 46

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help with magnum xl 46

Old 10-26-2015, 05:04 AM
skyflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with magnum xl 46

Hello all, I have a Hobbico Nexstar that I put a magnum xl 46 on. The engine will sometimes start and sometimes it wont. I am using a electric starter with odonnel 15% nitro. My fuel lines do not have any holes in them. I am buying a evolution trainer power system to replace it, but I would still like to get my Magnum running. P.S. What is your experience with the evolution power system?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:40 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Skip the Evolution engines. The TPS is the only one with a decent reputation, but you can do better for the money. Get an OS instead.

For your Magnum, there could be a number of issues causing it not to start. Do you see fuel coming up the line when you prime it? If not, you probably have an air leak somewhere.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:47 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you hold your finger over the card, flip the prop by hand a few times, does the fuel come up to the carb? If not, might have a hole in the fuel line. Is the clunk line in the tank free to move around and not hitting the back of the tank? All of my Magnums have run well.

Buzz.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:06 PM
AwwNaww

I found that sometimes the carb to crankcase seal isn't too good. That would certainly cause trouble. I have several of these engines and the carburation is certainly not up to thundertiger or OS standard, but I have found that with effort, they can be usable. The needle valve sometimes has an air leak. My experience with their 4-stroke engines has been much better. Make sure that you have bubble free fuel draw.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had several of the Magnums and all ran very well. You must have a bad seal somewhere, did you check the crankcase backplate as sometimes that gasket can fail or the screw loosen. Check for carb to crankcase seal or worn needle valve .
Old 10-26-2015, 01:46 PM
skyflier

I may have a bad front bushing because nitro drips about a drop a minute from it.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:02 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That's probably not a concern. Oil is supposed to seep to the front bearing to lubricate it. And once it's there, it has nowhere else to go but out. Check your engine for air leaks in the locations suggested, and I'll bet you find the problem. The only way the front bearing is the problem is if it's worn enough to let air come in through it.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 AM
skyflier

Ok just checked my engine today. The glow plug had nitro in it. Once the nitro was cleared out the glow plug did not glow when the glow driver was connected to it. Since my local hobby shop isn't so local(1 hour away) I will order a plug online. Thank you for your help I will keep you posted.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 AM
skyflier

Also I forgot to tell you I sealed all the places suggested with silicone.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:06 PM
AwwNaww

I found that once you get the gremlins out, the magnum 46 is a very good engine. I hope that you chased them out successfully.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:42 AM
skyflier

Hi, My tracking says I will be getting my glow plug around 2 today. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skyflier
getting my glow plug
You ordered just one plug? For whatever its worth Having a minimum of at least one spare plug is part and parcel of operating glow engines. Always having a spare will most certainly spare you a lost flying day in the future.

John
Old 10-28-2015, 11:42 AM
skyflier

Thanks forgot to order more than one. I will order another one.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:16 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ONE glow plug ????? I guess a spare prop is out of the question then.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:42 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

One trick that was not mentioned to cure an air leak at the needle valve, is to cut a short
piece of silicone fuel tubing and once the needle is screwed in to its running position the fuel
tube should cover the needle and the spigot that it screws into, simple but effective way of
curing air leak there.

Bill D.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:36 AM
skyflier

Actually I do have a spare propeller and spare batteries for my glow plug driver and a spare starter. I am sorry but I will not be able to test for a day or to because I have my Evo on it right now(I really like it by the way). But I will let you know when I do. Thanks for your help and your patience!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:03 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Your Magnum .46 XLS and your Evolution .45 TPS are both made in China by Sanye, who also manufactures ASP glow engines. I am certain that both engines should fly your Nexstar quite well once tuned correctly. I'd recommend that you not fly with the 3-blade prop that should have been included with your Evo TPS engine. They have a very shallow pitch and they often times are poorly balanced; these two things could lead to weak power and erratic running.

Good luck and good flying!
Old 11-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Bill Diedrich, I like that idea, I used to do that on all my Cox .049's but never thought about trying it on the XLS. Does the spring thingy have to be removed?
Old 11-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Tom Nied

"spring thingy" = Detent Spring

Heck, I'll check myself. No need to answer.

Last edited by Tom Nied; 11-05-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: expanded thought
Old 11-06-2015, 01:50 PM
skyflier

I cannot test right now due to my nexstar wrecking. It was hobbico's fault they improperly glued the wing ribs together. I will not be able to test for a couple weeks till I build a engine stand.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Tom Nied

Wait. Are you saying Hobbico improperly glued the wing ribs together? I find that hard to believe. Or are you saying because of your inexperience you'd blame the manufacturer ?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:57 AM
skyflier

I actually have quite a bit of experience with flying electric rc helicopters and rc planes. It was not a lack of experience, I called Hobbico and asked if this warranted replacement; and they said it did. But I bought it on ebay and they said if I got it third party they would not replace it. The wing actually broke off in flight and separated and my plane went into a spin. So I will buy a new one. Like I said earlier I have experience flying electric but only up to 50" wing span, And I am looking to transition to glow. So I would appreciate any suggestions on a good trainer under $150(My would cost to much to fix). Thanks

P.S. I will try to post a pictures in my gallery of my wing.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:00 AM
skyflier

I was looking at the tower trainer 40. Do you know if this is a decent plane. The reason I want this is the parts are much cheaper than the nexstar.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:30 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi skyflier, when it comes to trainers everyone has their favorite and neither the Nexstar or the Tower forty are mine, however in my opinion the Tower forty is a far better ship than the Nexstar and will certainly prove to ease your transition from the small foamys to flying typical glow ships trainer or otherwise.

On the matter of your wing separation While it good that Tower made a replacement but that says a lot for them. You see with many glow powered airplanes it is easy to rip wings off no matter how well built when they are subjected to things that the fellows typically get away with on the small foamys. For example with a typically forty trainer that is going on a down line fully vertical and full power sustained then pulling a wing off is easy, say in a botched loop or roll and full power is sustained on the way down.

It would be hopped if anything one learned on the foamys is power is always reduced on the vertical. Not saying this is what happened with your Nexstar but it is the most common scenario in this situation.

John
Old 11-07-2015, 11:33 AM
skyflier

Thanks John, I was not doing a loop but I am sure it sustained stress as I am not used to flying big glow planes. I believe I did have full power on when the wing broke. I believe I made a mistake in going with the nexstar also, So I will probably get the tower. You mentioned that neither of those are your favorites. If you don't mind me asking what is your favorite trainer? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.