Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Dilemma over modes

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Dilemma over modes

Old 12-26-2015, 09:58 PM
s7jstep1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma over modes

I am in need of a new transmitter for a parkzone p47d that was given to me. My current experience has only been with a hobbyzone supercub. I am okay with the cub but still learning. I havent flown it in about a year and a half but im looking to get back into it. I would like to get a simulator to help practice but I am starting to wonder if I might like a mode 1 controller better than a mode 2. this mainly comes from the driving video games i grew up playing and the early rc cars that i had as a kid before before i got my first hobby grade rc car. My question is: would I be able to switch between modes with the Dx6i/phoenix 5 combo? From what i have researched, the controller is switchable, but is the simulator? I would like to be able to try out a mode 1 setup on a simulator to see if it feels comfortable to me. thanks in advance for any input on the subject
Old 12-27-2015, 03:20 AM
jetmech05

You really want to fly mode 2. The reason is your controls will be like the flyers around you. If something were to happen like something in your eye your fellow flyers can take control of your plane. If you were to ever teach then life is just simpler
Old 12-28-2015, 07:10 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+ 1 on what jetmech05 said. The other reason you will want to fly the same mode as 99% of the other flyers you fly with is so you can have the chance to fly some of your friend's planes from time to time. Once you are an experienced known "good" flyer it is quite common for pilots to pass the TX to you and have a chance to "test fly" something you don't have in your hanger. It goes both ways of course and you may want a good flying friend of yours to have a chance flying some plane that you think is great. That's part of the fun of flying with buddies you can trust. If you fly mode 1 and I fly mode 2, you ain't flying any of my planes (and I'am not going to fly any of yours either). Learn to fly mode 2 here in the USA.

Last edited by 52larry52; 12-28-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:47 PM
s7jstep1

Thanks for the input. Im looking at getting either the phoenix v5.0+ds6i transmitter for $219 or the realflight 7.5+tactic ttx610 for $168. Im leaning toward the realflight because its cheaper and I have read better reviews of the simulator itself. Any input? thanks
Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

While I agree with the other comments about the practicality of doing what everybody else does, I'll answer your question. The transmitter can be changed, and the simulator won't know the difference. The sim, and the receiver for that matter, have no idea what mode you are flying on. They only get the control inputs from the correct channels and transfer them to the plane. So if you really want to try out mode 1, you can do so quite easily.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:04 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

s7jstep1, Just my personal opinion on sims: 15 years ago I had Realflight (2.5 I think) and more recently (4 yrs or so ago) I had a Phoenix sim on my PC. Although the graphics on the newer Phoenix were far better, I think I still had more fun on the Realflight. Of course the graphics on a new Realflight are also up to current standards so that's not an issue. At the time, some of the planes on the Realflight were planes that I either owned or were intending to buy so that made a valuable tie in for me. Either one is good for training practice and play time. I currently have no sim on my new PC and I kind of miss it. Pick one and enjoy.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:45 AM
s7jstep1

Thanks for the input guys. Ill probably end up getting the RF based on the reviews I have read online.